Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

sbeck09's T7 - weight and data rule here

sbeck09

Been a while since I've been on here, but life has been kinda nuts...mostly in a good way. Unfortunately that also means my riding time has been pretty limited. Still in love with this bike and it will be staying with me for a long time.

I got in on the original ACD Racing group buy probably 6 months ago for their skid plate. It came on time and looked great, but after noticing one header primary hitting, I put it on a shelf in my shop and kinda forgot. I installed my full Dominator exhaust about 30 miles after picking up the bike. It's bigger than stock and the left primary tube is routed a bit different than original.

Yesterday one of my riding buddies came by to harass me about riding more and suggested he help clearance the skid plate to get it on.

Once I removed the stock plate it was apparent that I've been harder on this than I realized. 

spacer.png

Yeah that dent was wayyy too big for me to want this thin factory part back on there. Small weight increase for the thicker ACD part is more than justified.

So we held the new plate up as well as we could and noticed that we were only about 1/4" away from fitting. My plan was to grind out an opening on the front of the plate and let the primary kind of hang through, but my buddy had the bright idea to use a big hammer to dent the plate out.

spacer.png

To save the coating we set the plate on an old couch cushing and used a flat faced hammer to beat the inside. It took a number of heavy blows and we had to check fit a couple times, but it worked beatifully! Looks almost like it came that way....almost. I now have over 1/8" at minimum to the exhaust and everything else has plenty of room. 

spacer.png

Added bonus: makes my black bike look even better!

spacer.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sbeck09 said:

Been a while since I've been on here, but life has been kinda nuts...mostly in a good way. Unfortunately that also means my riding time has been pretty limited. Still in love with this bike and it will be staying with me for a long time.

I got in on the original ACD Racing group buy probably 6 months ago for their skid plate. It came on time and looked great, but after noticing one header primary hitting, I put it on a shelf in my shop and kinda forgot. I installed my full Dominator exhaust about 30 miles after picking up the bike. It's bigger than stock and the left primary tube is routed a bit different than original.

Yesterday one of my riding buddies came by to harass me about riding more and suggested he help clearance the skid plate to get it on.

Once I removed the stock plate it was apparent that I've been harder on this than I realized. 

spacer.png

Yeah that dent was wayyy too big for me to want this thin factory part back on there. Small weight increase for the thicker ACD part is more than justified.

So we held the new plate up as well as we could and noticed that we were only about 1/4" away from fitting. My plan was to grind out an opening on the front of the plate and let the primary kind of hang through, but my buddy had the bright idea to use a big hammer to dent the plate out.

spacer.png

To save the coating we set the plate on an old couch cushing and used a flat faced hammer to beat the inside. It took a number of heavy blows and we had to check fit a couple times, but it worked beatifully! Looks almost like it came that way....almost. I now have over 1/8" at minimum to the exhaust and everything else has plenty of room. 

spacer.png

Added bonus: makes my black bike look even better!

spacer.png

For some reason, your pictures are not showing up for me...:(

• Sad 1

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.