Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rally Raid fork preload adjusters HELP !!!

MghtyThor69

Question

I have a stronger rear spring and fork preload adjusters from Rally Raid waiting on the bike if it ever gets here..

I'm comfortable doing the rear spring that's easy enough but never have messed with opening up forks. I was a tech for Honda cars for about 30 years and have good mechanical aptitude but I can't find anything on installing these fork adjusters. And they came with no instructions...

So if anyone here has any knowledge and/or advice on doing these I would appreciate it very much. Also can these be installed without taking the forks off the bike as long as the front wheel is not loaded ?? 

Edited by MghtyThor69

12 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, MghtyThor69 said:

I have a stronger rear spring and fork preload adjusters from Rally Raid waiting on the bike if it ever gets here..

I'm comfortable doing the rear spring that's easy enough but never have messed with opening up forks. I was a tech for Honda cars for about 30 years and have good mechanical aptitude but I can't find anything on installing these fork adjusters. And they came with no instructions...

So if anyone here has any knowledge and/or advice on doing these I would appreciate it very much. Also can these be installed without taking the forks off the bike as long as the front wheel is not loaded ?? 

this is not a tech tip, moving this to tech questions

You should just have to take the weight off the front wheel, and remove the old caps and install the new ones. Installation instructions are on the RR site. And be sure to use the supplied pin wrench to tighten, it is possible to damage them if you use a regular wrench..

Edited by jetdr21
  • Like 1

I looked all over R/R website and for the life of me could not find the install instructions..can you provide a link? Thanks!

I got instructions with mine I will send a photo when I get back home Wednesday. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gearhead1000.pr said:

I got instructions with mine I will send a photo when I get back home Wednesday. 

Thanks buddy I would very much appreciate that !!

On 6/14/2020 at 10:04 PM, gearhead1000.pr said:

Here is what they sent with the RR caps. 

There are washers on top of the springs and they don't mention them. I took them out because I couldn't figure out how the cap could adjust with them in there. They say to remove the springs just it seems to tighten the jam nut down all the way before you spin on the new cap.

To tighten the new cap you have to get hold of the jam nut with the sping in the way anyhow so I think you could leave them in.

Tip: Have somthing narrow like a clip to hold the center white section up during this process. Because it wants to fall down in the fork. I used needle nose vicegrips gingerly with a rag on mine after I had to dig it out of the hole.lol

Hope this helps.

15924377049064479903137727884613.jpg

• Thanks 1

Instruction links are at the bottom of the page descriptions.

RR said they have a T7 in for a full suspension upgrade.  They are going to make a how to YouTube video.

• Like 1

Send them an email.  See if they’ll make a vid for the caps.

• Like 2

Thanks Fellas, that will help alot. Kinda ticks me off they didn't put the instructions in the box for an item that costs that much.