Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Quick meet up in MT WYO and ID

Idarex

Friday solo from Poky through West Yellowstone to Big Timber Montana to meet up with old friends.   Normally I would take the ZRX on something like this because we were doing Beartooth pass and Dead Indian Pass.   Decided it would be a perfect trip to break in the T7.

Friday was Poky to Big Timber solo.  Saturday was Beartooth and Dead Indian via Red Lodge.  Sunday was Bridger Canyon to Bozeman and back to Big Timber.  Today, Monday, was Big Timber to Poky via West Yellowstone and Mesa Falls scenic byway.  1280 miles round trip.

Sunday was freezing cold via windchill and torrential rain.  A riding buddy described it as a river running down his butt crack and said he’d never been so cold.  The Mosco Moto Revolver kept my camp and clothes bone dry.  The Klim Carlsbad kept me dry but it didn’t keep me warm.

All in all it was a mighty fine adventure.  Good friends, good food, good routes, good beer, good bike (even if mine was slowest).  Great time!   Can’t wait until next weekend!

3975ABB6-2BA3-434E-BCEA-BE2BA9FB054F.jpeg

427338AB-D351-4B97-AA08-801672E44C0B.jpeg

6DF3838D-8946-4C58-8A23-8C10BCC7A5A2.jpeg

C12A6375-BD88-4D63-812B-03BF377BCE1E.jpeg

AC464701-6C15-46BE-B1A3-AA6CD301EED0.jpeg

444FF7FD-44C2-45F5-8FAA-C4C2900E53AF.jpeg

2CD107C4-9780-4DC1-8420-D7771A17D52D.jpeg

3E1542A4-FE27-4ECB-B4BE-6FF416422402.jpeg

Edited by Idarex
  • Like 4

@Idarex   Thanks for sharing that, I thought about you this weekend and wondered how your trip was going. 

Did you not wear base/mid layers under the Carlsbad?  I got stuck in 47 degree downpour yesterday , luckily I had packed a midlayer in my backpack and threw it on under my jacket and it kept me warm and toasty. I look forward to reading your Carlsbad review. 

Yesterday I started with no layers and added a layer every stop.  Today I started layered and de-layered as I went.  

It’s a work in progress figuring out what layers to bring for the Carlsbad to cover most situations.  I have room for improvement.

6 minutes ago, Idarex said:

Yesterday I started with no layers and added a layer every stop.  Today I started layered and de-layered as I went.  

It’s a work in progress figuring out what layers to bring for the Carlsbad to cover most situations.  I have room for improvement.

On a trip like that it's impossible though, out west here there are so many rapid elevation changes and sudden storms.  I tend to over layer on long trips and use the many vents if I get hot.

As hot as it gets in Texas, I typically always have an electric jacket liner, and waterproof heated gloves packed if I am going any large distance from the house. They pack small and also act as a layer underneath your riding jacket even when not plugged in. 

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Half the guys I was with had electric jacket liners.  I'll add that to my list.  Also, I didn't plan on getting hand grip warmers but now I'm rethinking that.  Learn by doing!

Chief Joseph Highway,  Mesa Falls,  "That's What She Said" Ale,

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

• Like 2

Sounds like a great ride...despite the weather!. Poky to Big Timber and 'Beartooth' sound great...to those of us from the UK brought up on Western films and road trip movies ...!! Cheers,  Steve