Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Boots

CasualADV

What Boots are ya'll wearing for off-roading adventures. I'd like something with good ankle support, water proof, but I don't want to break the bank. Hard combo to find. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm in the same boat looking for the perfect blend of comfort, protection and "walkability".  This might help.

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/best-adventure-motorcycle-boots/

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Alpinestars toucan is what i got, wide fit that is a must for me. not as stiff as my mx boots. But feels like good protection. And is ok ok to walk in, my mx boots i dont walk in if i can avoid it... not cheap but i hope they last a long time.

• Like 1

Forma Adventure boots, I have a pair of the Lows and the regular. 

They are great to walk in and are completely waterproof.

• Like 5

I like the Forma brand since it fits my wider foot. I have the Adventure Low and Tall. The tall was wearing out, so replaced with their Terra Evo. It's slightly more better protection but still very walkable and super comfortable.

I tried the Sidi Adventure 2 boot but was too narrow.

I've ordered from MotoStorm several times without issue. If you review any of the their products that you have experience with, even if you didn't buy from them, they will give you a coupon. You can typically use a couple coupons per purchase which will offset shipping costs.

forma_terra_evo_brown_p.jpg

Forma Terra Evo boots with full-bodied leather upper, personalized sole Enduro / Adventure extra natural rubber sole. Technical features : ...

• Like 4

Forma Adventure Boots. So comfortable I wear them while sitting in my recliner. 

• Like 4

It's not what you're after, but I've been wearing Sidi Crossfires for years. Only ever had two pairs in about 20 years (!) and they've clearly lasted forever. Super tough, amazing protection, hinged ankle, waterproof unless you're riding through massive wet green lanes and super comfortable to walk in. I can't imagine teasing myself away from them for the above reasons.

Rich

• Like 4

Try tcx... I've had them before and loved the comfort.. They offer a wide range of goretex or non goretex adv boots... I think they are good. 

I'm not riding adv anymore so I switched to some more race oriented boots 👢 from sidi... 👍 Aleks 

Screenshot_20200626-210509.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

It's not what you're after, but I've been wearing Sidi Crossfires for years. Only ever had two pairs in about 20 years (!) and they've clearly lasted forever. Super tough, amazing protection, hinged ankle, waterproof unless you're riding through massive wet green lanes and super comfortable to walk in. I can't imagine teasing myself away from them for the above reasons.

Rich

I use Sidi Crossfire 2 and totally agree with you.  They've  saved my legs many times.

• Like 2

Alpinestars Belize Drystar, I liked the added ankle protection over the Forma Adventure Low.

• Like 1

I agree Forma Adventure boots are comfortable to wear and walk in but I don't think they offer enough support when in difficult conditions. 

Several years ago I was out on my little WRR250 when I had the unfortunate incident of almost coming to blows with a 'roo. I was on a fairly open council owned road ( albeit not overly maintained ). I spotted a mob of 'roos coming down the slope on my left so I slowed in preparation to stop. Roos are even more stupid than sheep! All was well as the 'roos went hopping on their way........with the exception of one. It stopped dead in front of me; tapped the rear brake and the rear stepped out and dropped me on my left side. Now 40km/hr isn't a particularly fast speed to go down but it was enough to spin my left leg backwards. The end result was a 2 hour wait for a rescue helicopter, emergency surgery the next morning and several months of rehab. I now have a very nice titanium tibial nail and a bunch of screws.

Having had time to think about what happened I was convinced that the Forma boots were too light for anything other than very easy conditions.

I now wear Gaerne SG12 MX boots. They took a bit of getting used to. They have some serious support in the ankle and lower leg area but are not much fun to walk in.......and they squeak.

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

17 minutes ago, Rider 101 said:

I agree Forma Adventure boots are comfortable to wear and walk in but I don't think they offer enough support when in difficult conditions.

I agree that the Forma Adventure boot is too soft. Even trying them on in the store felt more like a tall hiking boot. That's why I went with the Terra. MX style foot and good bracing. It's not a MX boot, but supportive enough for most anything yet with the rocker sole easy enough to saunter with swagger. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 2

I am too scared to go to a lighter boot! 😲 and I now despise 'roos.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro Drystar

Great protection, comfortable, waterproof

BUT......the bank is broken......

tech-7-enduro-drystar-57278_0.jpg

• Like 3

Another vote for the Forma Terra EVO boot. Great boot, enough protection for my ADV riding.

Very comfortable, plenty of ankle support and protection, water proof, not too hot to wear, warm enough for what we Californians call cold weather, metal buckles, easy to adjust if I'm wearing my knee/shin pads underneath, good shin protection, flexible enough to do some walking around after getting off the bike, great sole pattern for traction in the dirt/sand, comes with steel toe if you want to install them.

I wear them when I commute in LA traffic. I've left them on the whole day at work, because they're so comfortable. I usually change as soon as I get to my office.

u7ieLiGm.jpg    nHaFAO7m.jpg  xBbhOXPm.jpg

I have AlpineStar Tech 8 for dirt biking.

• Like 4

Yeah, well I've got to give a vote for Forma Terra Evo boots, very comfortable, after one ride off road they are almost run in, that's a first for any new boots I've owned, not to mention they look pretty cool too.

Screenshot_20200628-005943.png

• Like 2

I have the Sidi Canyons and I swear by them. 100% waterproof. Strong sturdy construction like an mx boot, hit my toes on rocks sometimes and don't even feel more than a tap.

Comfortable to walk in, very comfortable. 

Also the ratchet straps are genius. So easy to tighten and loosen with one finger. So easy to take off and out back on. I am spoiled by these boots and recommend them 110% !

sidi_canyon_gore_tex_boots.jpg

Caught in a sudden downpour or out for days in the rain, Gore-tex in the Canyon Boots will keep your feet dry. Lug sole grips pegs.

• Like 4

Alpinestars Corozal. great boot and it won't break the bank

• Like 3

Sidi Adventure gore Tex (first editions). Completely watertight, and after washing y through a knee- high river were dry inside again after a day or so (in warm weather). Good protection as well. They do creak though when walking. All in all Great boot, but does break the bank.

Have lasted me a trip to Mongolia from The Netherlands, and now give years later still are very useable. Will very probably buy then again when/if these ever fail.

• Like 1

Forma Adventure - comfortable out of the box.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a Sidi Adventure for the last 8 years/80,000km on/offroad. Comfortable, waterproof and durable.

• Like 2