Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

BEST TIRES

gmtcm

21 hours ago, X Plane said:

Just for the info, I got over 5000 miles from the rear stock Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR and there is still a 1 mm or so above / before the twi wear bar indicator strips.

Used it right round to its edges too, love it on the road.

497630E9-78B9-42C2-A953-DC64D07CA6E1.jpeg

I am replacing it with the same again 👍

A0A548A6-A92A-46DB-A38A-5B6B3358BC87.jpeg

I got over 10000 km from the rear stock tire and it's still good for use, about 3 mm of the wear at the center of the tire. 

I can't say anything wrong about Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR, but I'm going to change it for Mitas E-07 without yellow stripe (it is softer than Dakar version).

I use E-07 on my Dr650 for couple of years and it could be good for my riding style on T7.

• Like 2

I got just under 17000km out of the stock Pirellis and still some life in them, although the back was pretty square at that stage! Have put another set of STRs on for the winter commute due to their good performance in the wet and cold but I will change for some Mitas when the time comes to do some TET trails. 

• Like 1

Just got a T7 Saturday. It's my first big adventure bike. Have been riding mx and small enduro bikes for decades, though, and still have my 77 XT500! Still love it. Bought it new. Anyway, I hate the OEM tires on the T7, especially the front. Skated around on me on my first jeep road. Do NOT want to lose the front end on this bike. With lighter bikes, I never worried about the tire much - just picked it for conditions (sand, rocks, loose dirt, etc). On a bike this heavy, though, do I need to pick off-road tires with bigger knobs like the TKC80? I liked the Pirelli MT21 for my lighter bikes, but would it handle the weight of the T7? 

2 hours ago, Moto said:

Just got a T7 Saturday. It's my first big adventure bike. Have been riding mx and small enduro bikes for decades, though, and still have my 77 XT500! Still love it. Bought it new. Anyway, I hate the OEM tires on the T7, especially the front. Skated around on me on my first jeep road. Do NOT want to lose the front end on this bike. With lighter bikes, I never worried about the tire much - just picked it for conditions (sand, rocks, loose dirt, etc). On a bike this heavy, though, do I need to pick off-road tires with bigger knobs like the TKC80? I liked the Pirelli MT21 for my lighter bikes, but would it handle the weight of the T7? 

A few of my mates use Pirelli MT21 for heavy bikes like Suzuki DR800 , Honda Africa Twin, KTM 950 Adventure.  The T7 is lighter than these bikes. They told me that after about 5000 km the MT21 is worn out,  depending on the type of terrain they ride. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, slawmir said:

A few of my mates use Pirelli MT21 for heavy bikes like Suzuki DR800 , Honda Africa Twin, KTM 950 Adventure.  The T7 is lighter than these bikes. They told me that after about 5000 km the MT21 is worn out,  depending on the type of terrain they ride. 

Thats good to know thanks man. I too am a fan of this tire from using it on lighter enduros. 

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 1 month later...

what is a good tire that would match the stock back tire? I would keep the scorpion front tire, but the wobble is very bad. I'd rather not replace both if I don't have to. 

I'm more street right now, so the 80/20 is fine. Would the Shinko 705 match up.

I'm a tire idiot. I'll admit it.

On 10/10/2020 at 7:31 AM, ahamay said:

What's your complaint with the front, Fred?

I'm not fred, but the fronts have a terrible wobble to them. it's a bad batch I'm sure. mine is off, can't wait to replace them.

I've not found the wiggle on mine. I wonder, tenerecanada, if your front wheel is balanced. My bike seems to have been balanced before I took delivery. There's a spoke weight, I noticed on mine. Probably the dealer placed it. Maybe just guessed, as it's opposite the valve stem. Whatever. Smooth at all speeds. 

On 11/29/2020 at 1:58 PM, jdk2man said:

I would keep the scorpion front tire, but the wobble is very bad.

make sure its balanced.   i have a stock bike (78 miles so far)  and can tell you there is NO wobble or shake up to the ton.

• 8 months later...

05-08-2021

Tenere 700 used as all year means of transportation and recreational vehicle.

Just bought the Heidenau K60 , tomorrow gonna be on the bike, planning to take a trip around the island of Crete , Greece, summer high temperatures lots of low quality tarmac and probably lots of gravel roads and sand on the menu. 

Previously used TKC 80's , amazing at any terrain but very  short life.

Run out after 1500 km on forest gravel roads and 3000km of Greek tarmac.

Previously Pirelli STR s , great on tarmac, decent on loose gravel and stones  but used it only for 1000 kms , then changed to COntis .

(Have heard though that lot of OEM STRs are deficient from factory).

• Like 1

I heard from a source (hello, Ryan fortnine!) that OEM things like tires are not the same as the same tire bought separately. I'm going to test that, as I have replaced the OEM STRs with same model tire bought separately from a retailer.

• Like 1

The OEM STRs were made in Brazil. 

The new rear I put on happened to be made in China. Have not replaced front yet. Everyone is sold out of that one. (the 90-90 21 size, anyway.)

I put 5000 miles on originals. I did not think the rear would complete a big Montana trip coming up. The front should be able to, if I cannot find a fresh one by departure date.

I liked OEM tires fine. The only improvement I would be looking for with replacements would be longer life. But would increased life mean a harder, less grippy compound? Probably. Would I notice that? Do not know. I do not push super hard in my riding.

Edited by ahamay

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, ahamay said:

The OEM STRs were made in Brazil. 

The new rear I put on happened to be made in China. Have not replaced front yet. Everyone is sold out of that one. (the 90-90 21 size, anyway.)

I put 5000 miles on originals. I did not think the rear would complete a big Montana trip coming up. The front should be able to, if I cannot find a fresh one by departure date.

I liked OEM tires fine. The only improvement I would be looking for with replacements would be longer life. But would increased life mean a harder, less grippy compound? Probably. Would I notice that? Do not know. I do not push super hard in my riding.

For you I’d stick with the OEM STR tyres.

My riding is mostly road with occasional gravel track and grass field the OEM are OK- ish plenty of grip wet and dry the front doesn't like white lines and joints and causes vibration.

So Avon trailmasters, Metzler tourance, or Michelin anakee 2 or 3 i've had experience with all three over the years. 

3 hours ago, X Plane said:

For you I’d stick with the OEM STR tyres.

Yes, I am going to.

• Like 1

Replaced my OEM Rally STR with 15,000 km on just before leaving for a 3,500 km travel on asphalt. I wanted to put on a new set of Rally STR but I couldn't find them on the market. Weird as it seems, that's the truth. So I put on Continental Trail Attack 3 instead. I can say I'm satisfied with them. Vibration at the handlebar is significantly reduced and so it is the noise. As the Conti's are great, the single thing I miss is the Rally STR's total sincerity on asphalt, I felt I could dive into whatever bend I chose and come out on two wheels. I'll report again later, as I'm now back and could test the new tires on roads I know well.

• Like 1

I only do road with mine and I’m going a big trip in a few days so i ordered the the Dunlop’s TrailSmart Max.

They didn’t arrived it but I’ve been reading very good opinions/feedback about them. 

On 11/30/2020 at 6:18 PM, ahamay said:

I've not found the wiggle on mine. I wonder, tenerecanada, if your front wheel is balanced. My bike seems to have been balanced before I took delivery. There's a spoke weight, I noticed on mine. Probably the dealer placed it. Maybe just guessed, as it's opposite the valve stem. Whatever. Smooth at all speeds. 

Neither of my wheels had any weights whatsoever which seems odd, and I'm getting a little wobble in the front. I thought about pulling them off and balancing them but at this point I may as just save the effort as they're over half worn out now. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a new Mitas E-09 laying around that they could measure the tread depth on?  I want to see how much life there is in the one I have.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking to swap out the stock Scorpions before spring hits. Where I live there's lots of asphalt between good trails, so I need something that's trusty/reasonably comfortable on road, but then once I get off the main roads I try to stick to only dirt trails /gravel roads for the rest of the trip. But, I also find myself getting into mud patches quite often. Not deep aggressive stuff which I avoid, but your typical trail grease and some stuff a couple inches deep from ATV ruts etc.

I find the scorpions barely trust worthy on wet grass let alone trail grease unless I run them at really low pressure (and even then).

I'm thinking of doing Mitas E-07 Enduros (seems the Dakars are too much comfort sacrafice), or MotoZ Tractionators. Or, either of those on the rear but try a TKC 80 on the front. That's where i'm landing after digging and research, but curious to get input on anyones preference with these options? or options outside of these even?

Main questions:

Any big sacrifices on the asphalt? (I don't mind some road noise-but beyond that)

What's reasonable for moderate mud/trail grease? Again, not trying to get in too deep with mud (if I can help it) but really want to jump up in performance compared to the stock Scorpions here.

Thanks!

I'm also looking at tyres but i keep getting back to the Michelin Anakee Wild.
I run the Anakee Adventure on my CT and for my big trip in July i'm still in doubt because they last very long (trip will be around 8500km) and have great grip on firm dirt and gravel and the fresh set did get me through through a muddy section in Romania last September on the CT but i'm afraid they will not be enough for the TET Finland i want to do some parts on my way back from the North Cape. On road they do just as great as the Road 5 or Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and i do get a lot of asphalt in the Fjords on the way up but i think i probably end up with the Anakee Wild again.
I had them on the Crosstourer and the XT660Z and they where on the T7 when i bought it with 2900km on the odo and now around 7k/km but not sure when it was mounted. That's why i will mount another rear (front is still great) to see what is does from 0 and if it will last the 8500km. The last 1000km will be paved i guess zo i don't need a lot of blocks left there.

Edit: I also liked the Mitas E-09 on the rear but i heard the front is not the best but i ran it with the Anakee Wild front.

Edited by Ray Ride4life

• 4 months later...

Anyone have experience between the AX41s and Anakee Wilds? Is there a serious difference between the two in terms of performance, either on road or off-road? AX41 has larger gaps between the lugs around the diameter of the tire so I assume it will be better in mud. 

Going to DirtDaze in August but I hear some people are having trouble getting their tire of choice so I want to get this over with so I can spoon on the new rubber at my leisure. 

While I'm here: the Trailmax Missions are really as good as everyone says they are. Not knobbies obviously but they will get you pretty damn far off-road as long as there's no mud. 

Edited by advsquid