Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

BEST TIRES

gmtcm

As most people on here say, the best tyre depends on your usage.

What I can say is that I went straight to Mitas e07, after 1800km I have only good things to report.

Autoroute (freewY) at 140 kph all good, off road in most conditions all good, rock, sand, clay. I only struggled in muddy single tracke, but that was more me than the tyre/bike.

Commuting also good in dry and wet.

Twisty french roads, good enough and again better than me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, advsquid said:

Anyone have experience between the AX41s and Anakee Wilds? Is there a serious difference between the two in terms of performance, either on road or off-road? AX41 has larger gaps between the lugs around the diameter of the tire so I assume it will be better in mud. 

Going to DirtDaze in August but I hear some people are having trouble getting their tire of choice so I want to get this over with so I can spoon on the new rubber at my leisure. 

While I'm here: the Trailmax Missions are really as good as everyone says they are. Not knobbies obviously but they will get you pretty damn far off-road as long as there's no mud. 

If your planning to drive your bike between now and august I'd say both tyres will be toast by that. Wild in front was exceptional about 15000km ( ~1000 miles)  good to about 3000km (1900 mi) and after that well.... @4k knobs are round and wavy. I'm guessing I'll be changing my front @5k ( 3.1k miles). Haven't use wilds in rear for a while now, because it lasts about half of what front. After 2500-3000 km  it's toast. At least with my riding style. Really nice tyre though, just tends to vanish in the air like most of the knobbies. 

I've not tried AX41s because I'm in the impression that it is even more short lived than wild. Grippier though they say.

After I've gotten through my stock of wilds, I'll try Motoz Rallz as front also. Current Rallz rear was exceptional and it still bites @4k. If the classic formula of "front is going to last double the amount of rear" works for rallz, that would be something. That would put Rallz front around 10k (~6.2k mi), which is exceptional figure for a knobby tyre.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. No, I don't plan on riding them that long, I have pleeeenty of life left on my Trailmax Missions, I just don't want to wait to order new tires and be waiting for them with a big off-road ride coming up. Better to get them earlier than I need them and not risk it. 

Edited by advsquid
Typo

I’ve got an AX-41 rear with a Dunlop Trailmax Mission (TMM) on the front. The AX-41 after about 1000 miles looks to be about 1/2 gone. So much better on the street and almost as good in the Muck and dirt as the Motoz Rallz it replaced, but it’s going to last about half as long. 

The Dunlop TMM front is a great tire in almost all conditions except mud and on wet tar snakes. It’s also wearing quite well. For me the street ability and stability it offers over the Motoz Rallz front it’s worth it. The Rallz front was OK on the pavement at first but began to suck badly once it wore in. 

I may try an AX-41 front next if I plan on riding in more mud this season.  

There are no perfect tires, just ones that have the best set of compromises you are willing to live with. At this point I may live with the short life of the AX-41s front and rear until I have a trip planned that is over 2000 miles. 

• Like 2

I did 8000km on a set of ax41. The front tire was absolutely shot, it was wearing nicely at first but the cupping was just terrible at the end, the rear was still safe for the road when I replaced it. The rear tire doesn’t have much meat new, but find it does not wear fast if you are not heavy on the throttle.  If I was riding 50/50 I would buy another set and avoid deep mud. I now ride 70-80% off-road and often in mud, I now ride the MT21 front and D908RR. At the end of the day, no 50/50 tires are really able to handle mud with a 450lbs bike.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoyFrance said:

As most people on here say, the best tyre depends on your usage.

What I can say is that I went straight to Mitas e07, after 1800km I have only good things to report.

Autoroute (freewY) at 140 kph all good, off road in most conditions all good, rock, sand, clay. I only struggled in muddy single tracke, but that was more me than the tyre/bike.

Commuting also good in dry and wet.

Twisty french roads, good enough and again better than me.

This looks like a great 50/50 tire option.  Some Revzilla reviews said they are nearly impossible to change with spoons.  Did you change them; have you had similar issues?  I ride some remote trails and would be in serious trouble if I couldn't fix a flat tire.

My T7 has 2,700 miles on a pair of AX41s at the moment. I'm impressed with both of them in every situation encountered off-road including mud, rocks, and gravel (no sand where I live), and on pavement they stick well enough I could probably have fun doing a track day on them (although I wouldn't  😉  ). The front is worn about 20%, while the rear has worn about 50%. I always seem to get better tire mileage on my other bikes than many others, so based upon other reports I'd seen on the rear AX41 wear I'm pleasantly surprised at how this one's doing.

I hope the rear stays effective enough off-road to make it to  4,000 miles or so, and then I plan on trying a MotoZ Adventure or RallZ just for longer life to make long cross-country trips (BDRs, etc.) more feasible. Depending on how long the front AX41 lasts, I may replace it with the same thing when due.  

• Like 1

Tire treads.  Got to love ‘em.   
One guy gets 200 miles out of a set of “XYZ tires” and a different rider gets 10,000 miles out of the same set of tires.  Doest add up huh?

Road conditions, air pressure, suspension settings and riding style have HUGE  impacts on tire life.  
The longer a tire last  the less grip the tire will have in certain conditions.   More grip, shorter mileages should be expected.   

• Like 1