Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

BEST TIRES

gmtcm

What are the best all around tires for the T7?  I'm looking for something that has good tread life and is reasonably good in the dirt.  What tire brand/model comes on the US bikes?   Thanks

ADMIN EDIT: Since this thread is getting alot of views on Google search, I thought I would drop some links to Revzilla for the most popular tire choices.

michelin_anakee_adventure_tires_300x300.

Shop For Dual Sport Motorcycle Tires - Free Shipping, No Hassle Returns and the Lowest Prices - Guaranteed

Edited by Cruizin
  • Like 1

Your question is very open.  Generally speaking, what works well in the dirt and especially mud has less longevity. Perhaps you should rephrase it with a priority listing. I'm currently trialling the Motoz tractionator GPS due to many recommendations from riding buddies. Not enough time with them yet to give a good recommendation yet.

My  top 3 comprise is probably different to others, 1. LONGEVITY, lots of highway travel to points of interest. 2. GRAVEL ROAD as an older rider I'm not looking for crazy technical off road rides or mud and deep sand for that matter. 3. TWISTIES within half hour or so, I am in the hills in twistie heaven. 

I'm confident that these tyres will be perfect for my top 3 requirements, less so in other riding environments. I believe that in the U.S. the tyres are Pirelli scorpion STR is the standard. I personally was NOT a fan. 

• Like 2

Your first post is a tire thread.  Way to make friends and influence people.😆😆😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, gmtcm said:

What are the best all around tires for the T7?  I'm looking for something that has good tread life and is reasonably good in the dirt.  What tire brand/model comes on the US bikes?   Thanks

That's a barn door wide question... I pulled the stock Scorpions (Canada and USA have the same tire) as they are garbage on gravel/sand and put on Mitas E07's F&R. Work great on gravel, OK in loose sand, and reasonably long wearing on pavement with good traction leaned over, decent on wet pavement. TERRIBLE in mud. I'm on my 3rd set on my S10, and the first set is almost worn out on my T7. Would I put them back on my T7, no, I'm going for something more aggressive like the Mitas E09/10 as I'm riding more rocky/muddy/dirt than I expected.

Tires are like shoes. Some people like Nikes, some like reeboks, and some like sketchers. Figure out what you are going to be riding on most, and buy a tire that suits that environment, and live with it in the other environments.

• Like 3

I think I have Yamaha disease...

3 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

Tires are like shoes. Some people like Nikes, some like reeboks, and some like sketchers. Figure out what you are going to be riding on most, and buy a tire that suits that environment, and live with it in the other environments.

Don't trust someone wearing Sketchers. And definitely don't take their advice on tires. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

Don't trust someone wearing Sketchers. And definitely don't take their advice on tires. 

👍

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Tires are such a personal choice, only you know how you ride, what types of surfaces you frequent, and how your time is broken up on the various surfaces.

Here is a great tire review, at the end of the video there is a nice break-down of various aspects of the individual tires.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 1:33 PM, UtahJack said:

Tires are such a personal choice, only you know how you ride, what types of surfaces you frequent, and how your time is broken up on the various surfaces.

Here is a great tire review, at the end of the video there is a nice break-down of various aspects of the individual tires.

Interesting video. I noticed that the stock Pirelli scorpion STR was placed in the 80/20 more On road group of tyres. It seemed to score well. 

In the 50/50 from 15 tyres, the 3 top scoring seemed to be ,

1. Bridgestone AX41 was lacking longevity 

2. New Dunlop Mission 

3. Motoz tractionator GPS 

Both the Mission and the GPS were rated very similar with good mileage from both. Interesting was the Continental TKC80, Mitas E07 and Shinko E04/05 which are seem to have a good reviews and  following, where only rated middle of the road 50/50  tyres. But they really didn't like the Heidenau K60 Scout mostly rated last! These tyres seem to have a  cult following.

Nice to know my choice of the GPS did well in my selection criteria in this trial.

One of the best improvement that can be made to a motorcycle is tyres! Choose a tyre that best suits your riding style and surfaces one is expected to encounter. I personally have not tried them all!

When asking for an option I steer clear of advice which doesn't give you information about how the conclusion was derived. Or indeed instant experts, change to a new product, tyre in this instance. Ride around the block and claim "the best ever" or to the contrary, notwithstanding any scrutiny. Experts with commercial or invested interest should be taken with a pinch of salt. Lot's of fake news on the internet too. I am always looking for the next best thing, but one needs to be able to read between the lines of any advice given. There's no unicorn tyre made, but choices are out there for your envisioned application. Choose wisely. 

This guy  loves the Mitas E07, so long as your definition of adventure tyre "mission" is the same as his. I personally found the rear tyre to work very well all round. But less so for the front. 

• Like 2

I have E07's on mine that are decent but much prefer the motoz tractionator adventure rear and TKC80 front on my Africa Twin DCT. 

• 1 month later...

i fitted e07 + rear dakar and e07 dakar front. i would advise not to fit the dakar versions unless you intend to plenty of rocky offroad. the sidewall is very stiff to prevent pinch punctures. on the road the tyres have ruined the ride. they feel harsh . i had dialled in a really nice plush ride with the pirellis this has dissapeared since fitting the mitas. also ,at slow speeds, i feel the tread blocks , this goes at speed but i get a slight vibration through the bars . not bad but its there. the front tyre was an absolute pig to fit. rear tyre was ok. i have used e07's for years and this is the first time ive wanted them to wear out quick.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2020 at 4:13 AM, toycloser said:

Could’ve been worse, could’ve asked what was the best engine oil to use 😉🤣

• Haha 2

I find the original tyres really good however there isnt a tyre possibility of being brilliant in all fields.

mud needs nobblies

nobblies are crap on road in terms of high speed cornering etc

really depends on what your intentions are and your decision has to be based on the biased . Mostly road more road biased

mostly off-road. TKC , Tractionater etc etc 

The str,s are great for all roads plus in the dirt/gravel/ rocky.

knowing what i know i will be replacing with like for like.

hope that helps!

Edited by Matth
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 5:32 PM, bth2 said:

i fitted e07 + rear dakar and e07 dakar front. i would advise not to fit the dakar versions unless you intend to plenty of rocky offroad. the sidewall is very stiff to prevent pinch punctures. on the road the tyres have ruined the ride. they feel harsh . i had dialled in a really nice plush ride with the pirellis this has dissapeared since fitting the mitas. also ,at slow speeds, i feel the tread blocks , this goes at speed but i get a slight vibration through the bars . not bad but its there. the front tyre was an absolute pig to fit. rear tyre was ok. i have used e07's for years and this is the first time ive wanted them to wear out quick.

right , i have been running these tyres for about 500 mls and have felt horrible on the road.  so did a bit of searching and the general consensus is to lower the pressures. i did this tonight ,dropped front and back by 5 psi, before riding to work and its has made a marked difference and still runs in a straight line at 70 mph. i will keep playing with the pressures till it feels right.

• Premium Member
On 8/13/2020 at 4:13 AM, toycloser said:

Could have been a worse one, an oil thread 😂

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Just for the info, I got over 5000 miles from the rear stock Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR and there is still a 1 mm or so above / before the twi wear bar indicator strips.

Used it right round to its edges too, love it on the road.

497630E9-78B9-42C2-A953-DC64D07CA6E1.jpeg

I am replacing it with the same again 👍

A0A548A6-A92A-46DB-A38A-5B6B3358BC87.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, X Plane said:

Just for the info,

I got 5000 miles from the rear stock Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR and there is still a 1 mm or so above / before the twi wear bars.

Used it right round to its edges too, love it on the road.

497630E9-78B9-42C2-A953-DC64D07CA6E1.jpeg

I am replacing it with the same again 👍

Exactly the same as me and I'll also be replacing it with the same. Awesome tyre on the road. Wet and dry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Exactly the same as me and I'll also be replacing it with the same. Awesome tyre on the road. Wet and dry.

As long as you get a good one, thats round and true. I also like these Pirelli’s for grip on road dry and wet, but OEM fronts have been proved to be dodgy, my original was replaced under warranty, and replacement was bad as well. Hopefully Pirelli have got their act together (their is no new stock in UK currently), and the next lot will be better quality!

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I replaced rear Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR with new same again 👍

B1744796-407A-4BE8-992A-8F076E16C717.jpeg

• Like 3