Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Cobb

Wobbly front end

ahamay

So how many of you chaps with wobblies have a balanced front wheel?

I ask because I noticed that my bike was handed off to me at the dealer with a balanced front wheel. It has a single pinch-on spoke weight. I wonder if that occurred in Japan or by the dealer during assembly. No weights on the rear wheel. 

3500 miles and bike rolls smooth at any speed. Still have stock Pirellis with recommended pressures.

Johnnyboxer
1 hour ago, CasualADV said:

Mine wobbled from day 1. It gets worse when the tire pressure gets low. The tire was visibly scalloped when it went in for its 1000km check-up. The dealer says theres no warranty on tires, and that any knobby/offroad tire will wobble.

guess i'm on my own to replace it, but its very annoying.

Yamaha bough me a new one 

More knobbly MT21....now no more wobbles 

It's the tyre - end of 

CasualADV
Just now, Johnnyboxer said:

Yamaha bough me a new one 

More knobbly MT21....now no more wobbles 

It's the tyre - end of 

how do i get yamaha to buy me a new one if the dealer won't even entertain the idea of it?

BLZ2DWL
1 hour ago, ahamay said:

So how many of you chaps with wobblies have a balanced front wheel?

I ask because I noticed that my bike was handed off to me at the dealer with a balanced front wheel. It has a single pinch-on spoke weight. I wonder if that occurred in Japan or by the dealer during assembly. No weights on the rear wheel. 

3500 miles and bike rolls smooth at any speed. Still have stock Pirellis with recommended pressures.

Mine had no balancing weights, so I took it off and balanced it to perfection. Still wobbled just as much. I could spin the tire and see the center of the tread move off center in one section of the tire. Since I put a Shinko 804 on, it's smooth as glass. 

DT675

I balanced mine as well and no change. Mine is noticeable but not horrible. I'll see how long I can stand it then just get a new one on my own. 

2013 Triumph Street Triple - 2013 Triumph Daytona track bike - 2017 Honda CRF250L 

Johnnyboxer
On 11/21/2020 at 8:41 PM, CasualADV said:

how do i get yamaha to buy me a new one if the dealer won't even entertain the idea of it?

Persuade the dealer!!!

I told them at the first break-in service, about it

They thought it was the head bearings, reported it to Yamaha and they fixed the bearings under warranty

Front wheel wobble was still there, so they reported it to Yamaha and a new tyre of my choice was agreed as the next course of action

A new MT21 front tyre was fitted

Although it was far more knobbly tyre in profile -it cured the wobble within 2-300 yds

F7A515F0-4126-4275-8605-332B15984C5B.jpeg

Edited by Johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

yobinad
On 10/15/2020 at 10:12 PM, yobinad said:

I have the same issue.

I've noticed the bumping since 0Km, but due my lack of experience i thought it was road defect 🤦‍♂️

Now with 4500Km i went to the dealer.

He inspected the wheel and told me the problem is a defective tire.

Took this pictures to show what the dealer means with defective tire.

It is noticeable in almost every section of the tire with the wearing marks.

IMG_2852.JPG

InkedIMG_2856_LI.jpg

Update:

Yamaha changed the tire to one of my choice.

I opted for Michelin Anakee Adventure.

No more bumping like a jackhammer.