Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wobbly front end

Cobb

I balanced mine as well and no change. Mine is noticeable but not horrible. I'll see how long I can stand it then just get a new one on my own. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 10:12 PM, yobinad said:

I have the same issue.

I've noticed the bumping since 0Km, but due my lack of experience i thought it was road defect 🤦‍♂️

Now with 4500Km i went to the dealer.

He inspected the wheel and told me the problem is a defective tire.

Took this pictures to show what the dealer means with defective tire.

It is noticeable in almost every section of the tire with the wearing marks.

IMG_2852.JPG

InkedIMG_2856_LI.jpg

Update:

Yamaha changed the tire to one of my choice.

I opted for Michelin Anakee Adventure.

No more bumping like a jackhammer.

Just got back from my local Yamaha dealer. The T7 has 113 miles on it and the wobble is the same as seen in the YouTube video at the 1 minute 27 second interval. https://youtu.be/c4K62PAJ_DQ

It is there just at 45MPH and under heavy braking. Of course I got the dismissive tone at first from them.  I tried to explain that I have had plenty of other motorcycles and that I have been riding and wrenching longer than he has been alive. I might have a little more insight than just being a whiny old man.  The service manager rode it and said the wobble was there but not that bad, mostly in the instrument display.  I opened a service request with Yamaha while I was there, they will keep me posted.  I am just going to buy a new tire and hope that maybe Yamaha will replace the bad one in the future.  If not, it is a perfect dirt only tire and I will hang onto it.

Edited by WarpedRotor

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing some debugging on the tire wobble issue. Ya, debugging. Im a software guy.

Anyway, the wobble I had was really bad. like over an inch wobble on the handlebars ar about 40mph.

I'm at around 225lbs so there were some things I tried.

1st was to switch out to a 95N spring. 

at the same time, I also took off the front wheel and balanced and trued it. It only needed like a 7g weight. But it was also not true. It did have a little play so I fixed that. It was perfectly round though.

Put it all back on and went for a ride. Unfortunately, it did still wobble. but not as bad as before. Probably 50% less.

One thing I did notice though when I was trueing the wheel, is that the Stock tire isn't true. As the tire spins, after truing the wheel, the center groove goes back and forth. probably by a cm or so. it is definitely noticeable. I am wondering if the wheel being off in addition to the tire being off that it is what is causing the issue.

I did by a new tire to put on, but I think the next step, to hopefully salvage a new tire is to let all the air out. break the bead a bit, air it. back up, rebalance and see if that trued the tire at all. if one side of the bead is down a bit further on one part of the wheel, it would throw it off. 

If that doesn't fix it, on with the Shinko 705 in the front. 

• 5 months later...

I’m having the same issue with the wobble around 35mph which happened after I installed all 3 cases and the center stand .I changed the rear suspension setting but still the same wobble.

for those who replaced the front tyre did that solve the wobbling would be interested to know before I commit to new tyre.

I'm interested to hear what the findings are regarding this issue.  Always good to know what to do when trouble arrises.

An update on mine- 

Brought it to the dealer finally. They had 2 guys test ride it and both said they couldn't feel anything at all. Sent me back out the door empty handed. That's crazy cause I've had 2 people on the bike and they both agreed it was obvious. 

So since their going to be useless I guess I'll take matters into my own hands as I figured I'd have to. 

I have a balancing stand that also has a trueing needle but I didn't know how to use it. So I googled it. Its pretty fuc**** easy.  So why couldn't the dealer do that???  They wouldn't do anything more than a test ride. Another reminder to NEVER purchase an extended factory warranty. Anyway once I put it on that stand I could tell right away it was off. So I spent some time loosening and tightening spokes. Then loosening and more tightening of spokes until I thought I was happy with it. Took it out for a test ride- no more side to side wobble!!  

Now for the record, I was able to 100% remove the side to side wobble. Once done and still on the stand, using the needle I did see a "up and down" sort of deflection in the tire itself. That deflection was not in the rim but the rubber. So I still think the rubber needs to be replaced. But atleast the side to side is gone. Now only if I had a competent dealer to do that work while under warranty...

(Can you tell I'm a bit annoyed?)

Edited by DT675
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, DT675 said:

An update on mine- 

Brought it to the dealer finally. They had 2 guys test ride it and both said they couldn't feel anything at all. Sent me back out the door empty handed. That's crazy cause I've had 2 people on the bike and they both agreed it was obvious. 

So since their going to be useless I guess I'll take matters into my own hands as I figured I'd have to. 

I have a balancing stand that also has a trueing needle but I didn't know how to use it. So I googled it. Its pretty fuc**** easy.  So why couldn't the dealer do that???  They wouldn't do anything more than a test ride. Another reminder to NEVER purchase an extended factory warranty. Anyway once I put it on that stand I could tell right away it was off. So I spent some time loosening and tightening spokes. Then loosening and more tightening of spokes until I thought I was happy with it. Took it out for a test ride- no more side to side wobble!!  

Now for the record, I was able to 100% remove the side to side wobble. Once done and still on the stand, using the needle I did see a "up and down" sort of deflection in the tire itself. That deflection was not in the rim but the rubber. So I still think the rubber needs to be replaced. But atleast the side to side is gone. Now only if I had a competent dealer to do that work while under warranty...

(Can you tell I'm a bit annoyed?)

Great news!

Dealers are funny. Some care, some don't. Warranty work NEVER PAYS for the customer and especially the dealer unless it is a common enough item for the tech(s) to get good at the repair. Most dealers (and manufacturers) HATE doing warranty work over paying work, but they have to due to contractual agreements with the manufacturer. Some take the view that the customer is 'disposable' by pissing them off. Maybe they have a monopoly in your area and don't care.

I was a motorcycle mechanic is my early years before an engineering career, now I don't care about warranty, factory or extended, as once my bike leaves the showroom, its mine to fix. Hasn't bit me yet in over 50 bikes (but I'm sure it will someday...). Congrats on your success.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

• 3 weeks later...

So after a longer ride lately, my front tire was “ok” but I want it better. I think I’m going to just replace it sooner than later. I was gonna wait until winter to do so. 

So what is a good equivalent to the STR for the front if I keep the back on? I’m not even sure what % on road/ off road the STR is. Any suggestions?

7 hours ago, DT675 said:

So after a longer ride lately, my front tire was “ok” but I want it better. I think I’m going to just replace it sooner than later. I was gonna wait until winter to do so. 

So what is a good equivalent to the STR for the front if I keep the back on? I’m not even sure what % on road/ off road the STR is. Any suggestions?

It really depends upon where you want to ride. Mostly pavement, with a little gravel? Mostly gravel with a little pavement? Sand? Mud?

I ride 80% gravel, not much sand (5%) and no mud. I like my Mitas E-07+ tires. Work great on pavement, and long wearing. Not for everyone, but as I say they are great on gravel and pavement.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Other than the “out of round” with the tire, I’m pretty happy with the STR for my use. So I’m just looking to match the rear as best as i can. 

Without some more research, maybe the Motoz Tractionator GPS?

Edited by DT675

28 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Other than the “out of round” with the tire, I’m pretty happy with the STR for my use. So I’m just looking to match the rear as best as i can. 

Without some more research, maybe the Motoz Tractionator GPS?

Motoz gps or  Dunlop Trailmax mission front. Vast improvement over the STR in virtually all conditions. 

• 1 year later...

I had same problem, I change front tyre and front tube with contintal tkc-70 and michelin tube 1.1 mm. I checked the rim and rim balance is perfect. Now everything is ok, no wobbling. 

• 8 months later...

Nobody has said here to CHECK THE BEAD!  There is a little line that goes just above the rim.  It MUST be the same all the way around!

If it isn't, there is wobble, balancing issues, etc.  This could be at 0 kms (as it wasn't put on just right) or with a new tire.

I have a 2022 T7 (Europe) that came with the Pirelli Scorpion STR.  I love them.  Bike has been rock solid.  Replaced the back at 12,000 with no issues.  Just replaced the front at 16, 600 kms.  The thing was TIGHT and very hard to put on.  The bead was not set so I had all of these issues.  5 inflations (up to 50psi), deflations, a bit of strong dish soap and gentle prying on the short side I managed to get both lines on both sides equal.  Then a re-balance (which was different)

Now, no wobble.  Back to rock solid.

• Like 4

I had a dodgy Pirelli STR front tyre.

I have gone through 5 sets of these and never had any issues. Last one caused terrible front wheel wobble, tried everything. Remounting, tube, balancing. It was only when i put a new Anekee on it went away. Dodgy batch apparently which was known. Gutted as i loved the Pirelli. Im finding The Michelin is way better off road but no where near as good on road, plus wear seems a little worse too.

Want to go back to the Pirellis but just have a fear of a dodgy tyre again. (Tyre Anxiety)  🙄

• 4 months later...

I had major issues with the front tyre when I picked the bike up in May 21'. After a lot of diagnosing, I opted for different tyres out of pocket. Since then I've been driving on AX41, Anakee Wild, Anakee Adventure and TKC 80 front tyres without any problems. This spring I wanted to try out the Rally STR again. Guess what - nothing but problems! The dealer had to mount THREE brand new tyres to get rid of a crazy wobble. The third/current wheel is bouncing all over the place between 60-90 km/t. The bead is seated correctly, but I can still see there is a runout on the tyres. The quality of these tyres are just horrendous. I see people that have no issues with these, but I am not going to risk getting Pirellis again.

Additionally, I had the entire rim replaced as the internal weld was grinded away so much that the bead had issues seating correctly. The new rim had the same issue, but the affected area was much smaller - enough to seat most tyres with 50 psi.

Edited by chris94

My original tires worked flawless, so I opted for a second set. Then I got the wobble. I discovered the front tire was not seated correctly

ever so slightly. Eventually I got the wobble out. 3rd set of tires I went with Dunlop Missions and had a fit getting front tire to seat properly.

This is my first 21" wheel so I don't know if this is normal issue.