Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Fork Open Cartridge Kit

Ktmmitch

1 hour ago, Rich TT said:

IMG_20201209_151400.jpg

Did you lower your bike? Forks are pretty high in the triples compared to mine - stock setting is like 7mm i think?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

Did you lower your bike? Forks are pretty high in the triples compared to mine - stock setting is like 7mm i think?

Sure did. I did it from brand new. Raised them 10mm. It's now 20mm exactly from the top of the yoke to the fork cap. 

I much prefer the easier and quicker turn in. Completely stable too and no head shake.

Rich

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Just been for a quick run out after my Rally Raid open cartridge fork inserts have been fitted by my local Yamaha dealer.

I cannot believe the change. It feels like a different bike altogether, and in a very positive way. So much less dive under the bikes own weight initially and far less dive and that mushy feel when on the brakes.

It feels like a taught Supermoto actually but the suspension still moves and works. The harshness of the standard forks has also gone. I left the rebound and compression as standard from the RR instructions but set the rider and static sag properly. 

Can't wait to sling the off road tyres on and try it out in anger and have a play with the settings. But for me, it's already loads better on the road and that's in the winter being gentleish.

Absolutely quality workmanship and also lots lighter than the standard internals by my feel in my hands.

Cheers John aka @Ktmmitchand team!!

Well worth the money.

Remap booked in Friday at Dave Wood Racing and we're all done... for now

Rich

I assume these are the inserts 

Which spring weight did you take an what do you weigh?

Edited by Spuzvica

2 hours ago, Spuzvica said:

I assume these are the inserts 

Which spring weight did you take an what do you weigh?

Yes, they are the kit.

I'm 13 stone 9 lb or around 87kg Naked. I went with their 6.0Nm fork springs.

I also have their 90Nm upgraded spring on the rear of my standard shock.

Completely different bike now.

Cheers

Rich

8 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Yes, they are the kit.

I'm 13 stone 9 lb or around 87kg Naked. I went with their 6.0Nm fork springs.

I also have their 90Nm upgraded spring on the rear of my standard shock.

Completely different bike now.

Cheers

Rich

I might jump onto this ship as well. I am 90kg myself, already replaced rear spring with a 85kg one.

Was there a some kind of black friday deal on these or should I wait? 🙂 they are mighty expensive...

4 minutes ago, Spuzvica said:

I might jump onto this ship as well. I am 90kg myself, already replaced rear spring with a 85kg one.

Was there a some kind of black friday deal on these or should I wait? 🙂 they are mighty expensive...

They are expensive, but when you realise what you get, they're well worth it. No Black Friday deal.

Basically the only thing that is left is the fork tubes/sliders. A completely different experience and pure factory.

Rich

2 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

They are expensive, but when you realise what you get, they're well worth it. No Black Friday deal.

Basically the only thing that is left is the fork tubes/sliders. A completely different experience and pure factory.

Rich

What are fork tubes/sliders?

1 hour ago, Spuzvica said:

What are fork tubes/sliders?

All I mean are the outside fork tubes. Everything else is replaced in essence. All the internals are different.

Rich

I was super thrilled with how adjustable the open cartridges kit is. I could tell the difference between a couple clicks. I thought the fronts were still a little harsh for me, backed off a few clicks, and perfect. 

• Like 1

Exactly Mike, they are so adjustable, as you said a couple of clicks and you feel it.

ive got the longer 5.6 springs without the steel spacer and are brilliant. 

• Like 1

After fitting a set of Rally Raid open cartridges a couple of weeks ago, I had chance to thoroughly test them this weekend whilst trail riding the Derbyshire TET.

I had briefly tried them out on a local trial last weekend that was a loose covering of 2” dia stones which usually makes the front end feel floaty and skittish but the new cartridges gave a more secure planted feel.
I actually found the front was now so compliant, I was riding just as fast on the slushy ice covered trail that I would normally in the dry.

I did however feel the forks bottom out once on a sharp edged hole that I would otherwise avoid at the speed I was riding, but I aimed at it to see what effect it had.

On returning home, I increased the fork pre-load to six clicks out (I’m 90kg in riding gear with 6N fork springs and 5mm spacer) and achieved a sag of 20mm static/40mm rider (rider sag now reads 50mm since bedding in after yesterdays full day trial riding).

The Derbyshire trails I rode this weekend were a perfect proving ground to see how the forks coped with the rapid impact of the numerous rock steps.

The damping coped admirably when dropping down the foot high descent steps with the forks already partially compressed whilst braking on the steep incline however it was climbing up the steps that really impressed me.

On attacking a particularly steep section of trail, I hit a few 10” high vertical rock steps hard enough to ensure I had enough momentum to carry both the front, and more importantly rear wheel, up and over the obstacle in one execution to avoid getting stuck mid way (it’s not easy getting rear wheel traction on polished wet limestone!).

I was really surprised how well the forks coped with the impact of over 200kg of mass + inertia and amazed they didn’t feel to bottom out at any point during the day.
I was also ‘show boating’ a bit by pulling numerous wheelies which on occasion I landed the front wheel too hard that would have bottomed out the OEM forks.

Riding home I reflected on how well the forks had performed under the harsh conditions that day and was even more impressed when I measured the amount of travel used on the forks. The top edge of the rubber O ring marker was still 50mm above the bottom of the fork tube so I believe there was probably around 20mm of surplus travel left. This showed the forks were nicely traveling through their range but the ‘hydraulic end stop’ (PDS) was doing its job to increase the final resistance to prevent bottoming out.

I’m really pleased with this upgrade and how much adjustability it provides. I like to run my suspension on the firm side, safe in the knowledge that there’s always a bit of travel in reserve to help during those moments when your caught out with an unavoidable ‘big hit’ on the trail.

I will probably now insert a bigger spacer (supplied with the cartridge kit) under the fork caps to give me the full range of pre-load adjustment, especially for when I’m carrying luggage.

Now the front end feels sorted, it’s highlighted how the rear OEM shock still needs some work. I fitted an 85N spring the other week which has helped the rear of bike sit correctly without too much pre-load but I feel the dampening needs improving to absorb a bit more of the harshness on rough road surfaces and offer a tad more plushness, but I will have a play with the compression settings initially.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I just installed the Open Cartridges 6.4nm and thought I'd leave a few things I came across.

I didn't use the cartridge removal tool.  Instead after loosening the lower Comp adjuster and removing spring and dumping out oil from the top I had to reassemble the fork with spring.  I then turned it upside down, pressed down with all my weight and used impact gun to remove the lower adjuster.  Worked great.  

Question for Rally Raid, I think prior to removing spring and dumping oil I could have just removed the Comp adjuster, drained oil from there then remove fork cap and let the rest drain.  This might trade a little more mess for having to reassemble the fork to get the adjuster out. 

Reccomendation on Instructions:

It isn't clear which cartridge is which.  There was a small "C" in sharpie on the hex just below the lower spring seat/spacer.  Later in the instructions it describes the difference in feel of each leg as you bleed them or give the final assembly test.  I assumed rightly that the "C" meant compression.  Not a big deal if you assemble the kit with no regard for which cap goes where other than you might be adjusting Comp and get more or less Rebound.  Suggest labeling the cartridges more conspicuously.

I also assumed it doesn't matter which leg you set up for Comp or Rebound.  I put Rebound on Right leg and Comp on Left.

All in all the kit went in without a hitch.   I may not have bled the Rebound completely as I sucked out about 40ml when setting the oil level.  On the Compression, I didn't get any oil removed setting to the spec'd 120mm.  Can you comment on that part?

On my setup I'm 220lbs in clothes.  Quickly setting sag I added the thick spacer and one thin.  Turned the adjustable Preload two clicks in from 0 and sag is right at 60.

J

• 2 weeks later...
Another neat addition to our popular T7 35mm Fork Cartridges is a custom label to stick on the top of the fork outer tube, to record the settings used when the cartridge, either closed or open, is fitted.
Most T7 owners are fitting our cartridges themselves, as they are a straight forward operation, if you have some experience of suspension and have a centre stand or bike lift, in order to remove the forks.
No need to disassemble the OEM cartridge and change piston or shims, these are complete, fully-built units, with a range of different weight fork springs to suit riders weights & luggage capacity.

t7 catridge-500x500.jpg

143125883_317896372984878_47490267592719757_n.jpg

143844432_472880990543285_70659878552971014_n.jpg

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, JayD said:

Are there any cheap and safe ways to lift the front end for this installation, besides a jack or centre stand?

hang the bike by the bars from a forklift or roof trusses using straps

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

hang the bike by the bars from a forklift or roof trusses using straps

I went this way, the lift was a lot cheaper than I thought, and will be useful for changing tires in the future etc. But thank you for the excellent suggestion.

Question. Is this an okay way to raise the T7? The manual says not to, but I’ve read several people saying thats on the stock coil: I have ADV Camels skid, which is sturdy with an extra mounting bracket.

If yes to question above: Could it be stored like this for an extended period of time?

Johannes

FF3321AD-BA94-4F47-8681-BC3AD6ED8D53.jpeg

Edited by JayD
  • Like 1

Ha ha brilliant, bring it in the house! Keep the chill off it!!

as long as its secure definitely!

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matth said:

Ha ha brilliant, bring it in the house! Keep the chill off it!!

as long as its secure definitely!

The deal with the wife was if I get to bring the bike indoors during winter, I’ll pay for a third floor in the house- so it wasnt cheap, but worth it!

Thanks. I would assume its okay, but I’d rather ask a stupid question just for the peace of mind.

@JayD The question is what did your wife say? 😄 🤣

Ok got the answer at the time i was writing ^^

Edited by didier
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, didier said:

@JayD The question is what did your wife say? 😄 🤣

Ok got the answer at the time i was writing ^^

Actually thats a good point, so when she first saw it in the house what was her reaction?

:)))

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance you are developing a -35mm version of your open cartridge kit?  Tractive has a -35mm closed cartridge kit sold under their brand, but no open cartridge.  I would also like to see a corresponding -35 Adventure shock from you guys.   I don't need all the suspension travel the T7 offers.  

I'd trust Tractive-made products coming from you guys more than the Tractive-branded items, knowing that you thoroughly sort suspension items out before offering them up for sale.