Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Fork Open Cartridge Kit

Ktmmitch

6 minutes ago, JayD said:

Can anyone confirm that the RR removal tool also fits the new RR insert? For maintenance and such. Thanks.

No, the removal tool we sell only fits the OEM cartridge, but generally you don't need one to remove our open cartridge because the thread in the bottom is much smaller diameter 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

A nice, detailed description from a Canadian  T7 owner about our suspension upgrades:

Edited by Ktmmitch
  • Like 3

I have been riding for about 3 months now with the Rally Raid open cartridge kit, in addition to the upgraded shock spring. In my opinion, the fork kit completely transforms what you can do with the bike. 

For reference,  I'm about 180 lbs in my birthday suit and about 195 lbs in riding gear. I have the 90 nm shock spring and installed the 6 nm springs with the open cartridge kit.  

I am amazed at how much the fork kit improved my confidence riding.

Offroad it is a night and difference in the speed you feel you can tackle rough terrain.

For those that mountain bike, It's analogous to going from a hard tail bike to a full suspension bike. 

What really surprised me was how much confidence I  was able to pick up on the pavement, with the ability stiffen the forks and reduce the front diving under heavy breaking or while breaking with the bike loaded with camping gear. 

If you are on the fence about purchasing this kit, go for it! John and his team at Rally Raid really have developed an outstanding product. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2021 at 6:46 PM, Goldentaco said:

I just installed the Open Cartridges 6.4nm and thought I'd leave a few things I came across.

I didn't use the cartridge removal tool.  Instead after loosening the lower Comp adjuster and removing spring and dumping out oil from the top I had to reassemble the fork with spring.  I then turned it upside down, pressed down with all my weight and used impact gun to remove the lower adjuster.  Worked great.  

Question for Rally Raid, I think prior to removing spring and dumping oil I could have just removed the Comp adjuster, drained oil from there then remove fork cap and let the rest drain.  This might trade a little more mess for having to reassemble the fork to get the adjuster out. 

Reccomendation on Instructions:

It isn't clear which cartridge is which.  There was a small "C" in sharpie on the hex just below the lower spring seat/spacer.  Later in the instructions it describes the difference in feel of each leg as you bleed them or give the final assembly test.  I assumed rightly that the "C" meant compression.  Not a big deal if you assemble the kit with no regard for which cap goes where other than you might be adjusting Comp and get more or less Rebound.  Suggest labeling the cartridges more conspicuously.

I also assumed it doesn't matter which leg you set up for Comp or Rebound.  I put Rebound on Right leg and Comp on Left.

All in all the kit went in without a hitch.   I may not have bled the Rebound completely as I sucked out about 40ml when setting the oil level.  On the Compression, I didn't get any oil removed setting to the spec'd 120mm.  Can you comment on that part?

On my setup I'm 220lbs in clothes.  Quickly setting sag I added the thick spacer and one thin.  Turned the adjustable Preload two clicks in from 0 and sag is right at 60.

J

@GoldentacoI installed my OC last night and did just as you described to remove the oem lower comp adjuster.  With the top cap cracked loose prior to removing from the bike, once removed I used my impact driver to spin the comp stack out completely and drained through the lower leg. My technique for the impact driver was to hold the fork, top cap down, on a piece of foam, I would simultaneously compress the fork with my left hand/body weight while hitting it with a burst from the impact driver.  So abruptly push down on the fork to compress it as far as I could and pull the impact trigger at the same time.  This had the comp stack out in about 30 seconds.

Then while upright in my bench vise with a drain pan underneath, I removed the top cap and pulled the oem cartridge out.  Worked perfect and no need for the tool.

Overall the Install was no more difficult than changing fork seals on any open chamber fork (I reused my oem seals and won't change them until they start leaking).

Edited by projected
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi..question for the guys that bought the RR fork cartridge and got it delivered to the USA via UPS, any additional cost charged by UPS besides the delivery cost charged thru RR?  

• 2 weeks later...

@Ktmmitch quick question re: changing fork oil. I installed the open cartridge kit last winter. Followed instructions for filling oil from the bottom.

Is the design of the open cartridges such that I have to drain old, and add new, oil from the bottom or is it fine to drain and refill from the top?  Thx!

11 hours ago, Uncle M said:

@Ktmmitch quick question re: changing fork oil. I installed the open cartridge kit last winter. Followed instructions for filling oil from the bottom.

Is the design of the open cartridges such that I have to drain old, and add new, oil from the bottom or is it fine to drain and refill from the top?  Thx!

Hi, It is possible to empty the oil from either top or bottom, personally, I remove the bottom bolt and remove the cartridge completely, then pump it out and clean the fork tubes separately.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:22 AM, intellution said:

Hi..question for the guys that bought the RR fork cartridge and got it delivered to the USA via UPS, any additional cost charged by UPS besides the delivery cost charged thru RR?  

I think I payed UPS $70 when they got delivered. 

• 2 months later...

Ok stupid question time:  Rebound cartridge on right and Comp on left?  I can't seem to find it in the directions?  Thanks!!!

Doesn't matter but you can do rebound on the right because they both start with an "r".

18 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Doesn't matter but you can do rebound on the right because they both start with an "r".

Sounds like a good plan. thanks!