Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tentative T7 rider

Werre

Hi,

I have an xt1200z since 2013, moved to an AT dct model due to hip problems which made shifting difficult. Hip replaced and shifting on the super tenere not anymore a problem. New problem as I get older, picking up the XT or the AT with all the luggage is not doable anymore. I love riding off road, although not very talented at it, hence the necessity to be able to pick the bike up.

The T7 gets very good reviews, so I am in the process of buying one. Step 1 is browsing about in the forum. Any suggestions why I should NOT buy the T7?

Thx

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Werre said:

Hi,

I have an xt1200z since 2013, moved to an AT dct model due to hip problems which made shifting difficult. Hip replaced and shifting on the super tenere not anymore a problem. New problem as I get older, picking up the XT or the AT with all the luggage is not doable anymore. I love riding off road, although not very talented at it, hence the necessity to be able to pick the bike up.

The T7 gets very good reviews, so I am in the process of buying one. Step 1 is browsing about in the forum. Any suggestions why I should NOT buy the T7?

Thx

It all depends on you usage of the bike. I will be the first to tell you get the T7, it is awesome offroad. But I too love riding offroad, and have had to admit that taking this bike where I used to take my 250 inevitably means I am going to damage it. Short list of damage through 1 season of offroading is twisted forks, totalled crashbars, cracked fairing, bent rim, broken mirror, bent exhaust hanger multiple times, scratched swingarm, and headlights do not function. I beat the bike up something fierce this season, mainly because I chose to ride in areas that are more technical than two track, forest access roads, gravel roads and 'green lanes'. If the prior list is the areas you intend to ride, it is a no brainer. Perfect bike for the conditions, really nimble and narrow inbetween the legs. You can ride it like a dirtbike and it responds well. If however you are looking to get into tighter areas, I would give it a second thought and maybe look into something smaller. The Wr250 is more capable offroad, with the only drawbacks being saddle comfort, highway travel, and power. But that power isn't missed on the trails, as I regularly ride alongside one and the guy is twice as fast as me out there at a minimum. It all really comes down to what does offroading mean to you. Getting this bike made me realize what offroading is to me, and that I need to add another bike to the stable. Offroading to me is exploring new areas and committing to trails you haven't gone down. When you get 204kg headed down a hill that you really don't want to go down, it only takes one second for your brain to start thinking about lighter bikes. 

All that said, I will never sell the T7 as there is nothing more fun than hammering this engine down gravel roads.

• Like 4

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

7 hours ago, Werre said:

Hi,

Thx

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1877-lifting-my-dropped-bike/

Welcome Werre.

I have both a 2013 XT1200Z and 2021 T7, and they are night and day different in riding. I have also spent significant time on an AT. All great bikes, with the XT12 and the AT in the same 'large bike class' with the T7 being a medium bike. Bottom line, is...it depends on what you want to do. I have ridden my XT12 on countless gravel/dirt roads/tracks and even some single track trails where I KNOW it was too big, but it sailed through. Even went down a couple of times = heavy. But when I take the T7 down those same trails, it feels playful and happy, instead of lumbering and slow. When you jump from the XT12 to the T7, its a bit like jumping from dirtbike to a bicycle. Much less mass, more nimble, and quick. The XT12 is more comfortable on the highway, but the T7 can handle any highway as well, just not quite as comfortable. I ride 2-up on the XT12, but don't on the T7, which is why I keep both. The T7 has plenty of power for all riding situations you will come across unless you are loaded to the max, climbing a steep hill and have the wind blowing a gale at you...then it might be down a few ponies...not likely. Both are great, but they are different. Only reason not to buy a T7, is you have to part with your money. 😃

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

17 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Welcome Werre.

I have both a 2013 XT1200Z and 2021 T7, and they are night and day different in riding. I have also spent significant time on an AT. All great bikes, with the XT12 and the AT in the same 'large bike class' with the T7 being a medium bike. Bottom line, is...it depends on what you want to do. I have ridden my XT12 on countless gravel/dirt roads/tracks and even some single track trails where I KNOW it was too big, but it sailed through. Even went down a couple of times = heavy. But when I take the T7 down those same trails, it feels playful and happy, instead of lumbering and slow. When you jump from the XT12 to the T7, its a bit like jumping from dirtbike to a bicycle. Much less mass, more nimble, and quick. The XT12 is more comfortable on the highway, but the T7 can handle any highway as well, just not quite as comfortable. I ride 2-up on the XT12, but don't on the T7, which is why I keep both. The T7 has plenty of power for all riding situations you will come across unless you are loaded to the max, climbing a steep hill and have the wind blowing a gale at you...then it might be down a few ponies...not likely. Both are great, but they are different. Only reason not to buy a T7, is you have to part with your money. 😃

Thx, I think I have made up my mind and go for it. Sad to have to part from my xt1200z but the lady says that a sier bike is tot much. I agree, bus still difficult. The T7 woud become my travel bike, and is not intended for real enduro. Still so many roads to ride and too little time.(approaching my 70ties)

• Like 1