Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Protaper evo adventure

gone2seed

Alternative to risers.  No problem with lines or cables. Straight forward bar swap. Gets the bars up which makes standing comfortable.

Upside, still got the stock bars if the new ones get warped in a crash.

Downside , you loose the bar end weights  and hand guards.

Took  20 mile ride after the install. I’m 6’2” and this is close/closer to perfection for me.

Payed special attention to vibration  since I lost the bar weights. Do not think it will be a problem with this bike. Was looking to replace the stock hand guards with Bark busters but the 1 1/8” bar adapters for them were out of stock.

Have a set of enduro engineering guards on the way. 

Thanks to Wookee  who told me these will work.

• Like 2

Went with enduro engineering hand guards for this set up .Came today.

Install went fine til I was attaching the mud/ debris guard on the left.

Pic says it all.

Wrong thread pitch!

With the eyesight checking out never noticed till I dug out the reading glasses. LOL ,”maybe if I just put a bit more pressure while turning.”

C0597519-0606-4B84-8227-D5253A737D2E.jpeg

Edited by gone2seed
because

8 hours ago, cosmic said:

What is the most similar bend to the oem one height and sweep wise??

Good question! I have the stock bars off the bike now. Next time I’m in the shed I will measure the rise and sweep on the work bench.

The reason I zip tied the stock bars and adventure bars together was to give inmates here an some idea of the difference in the bends.

Rise- 115mm

sweep-45mm

81A204B5-5ED6-4C8C-97D9-C91C2513B145.jpeg

Edited by gone2seed
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

The reason I zip tied the stock bars and adventure bars together was to give inmates here an some idea of the difference in the bends.

Which I was grateful for, thanks!

• Like 4

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Marc, Not sure I can make the stock weights work with the after market hand guards. Am going to thread the inside of the bars tho.

Going with this:   image.jpeg.d35e444c0ab5c32e8567e062d2a31d95.jpeg This is suppost to do a better job of retaining the guards than the expansion nut set up. If I still need weights I’ll graft them on the outside of the enduro engineering hand guards and get a wide load sign to put on the back of the bike.😉

Edited by gone2seed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks like a great set up! I've heard you can fill the bars with BB's for added weight/dampening although I've never tried it. Do they still make BB's or did too many kids shoot their eyes out? Breaking out my "Christmas Story" references already...

yer eye!.jpg

On 11/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, gone2seed said:

EB877AFD-4BC5-458C-8BE1-FC08E8DE2132.jpeg.00ef4d1bb6468c6c38ce8489cb5d5ada.jpegE16AC6C1-5244-4843-8B11-A49B2F30DD65.jpeg.1311cadc3cef22c3234e9b60c4236bed.jpegFF8156C9-0FBF-4FF6-81CF-30C44D0810DA.jpeg.9492166432b8ff2cc29d1db4c5ae0db7.jpeg

Did you drill holes on the Pro Taper bars for the control housings?   It's not always easy to get the exact location from where they are on the stock bars.  In the past on some bikes, I would file off the plastic nub on the control housing and wrap some friction tape around the bars where the control housings go, which usually keeps them in place.

1 hour ago, Seventh Son said:

Did you drill holes on the Pro Taper bars for the control housings?   It's not always easy to get the exact location from where they are on the stock bars.  In the past on some bikes, I would file off the plastic nub on the control housing and wrap some friction tape around the bars where the control housings go, which usually keeps them in place.

I have the same bars and I just took a dremel to those control housing plastic nubs. They still for nice and tight.  I was pretty nervous doing that, but at least I can move the controls around for better fitment.

Edited by wookee
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 5:30 PM, Marc said:

Looks like a great set up! I've heard you can fill the bars with BB's for added weight/dampening although I've never tried it. Do they still make BB's or did too many kids shoot their eyes out?

there are SO many vibration dampening products on the market for MX bikes.

Pls dont add the weight of 4 boxes of BBs 🙂

http://www.barsnake.com/order/secure.html

• 3 weeks later...

AA Ron,Sorry for the late reply, was watching another thread covering the same bars. They are longer,but I did not need to shorten for my application.

The stock cables and lines work the pro taper evo adventures. They don't sell a low, just standard and high.

Depending on what guards you plan to use, how you plan to mount them; I can only speak to the enduro Engineering hand guards for 1 1/8” bars. They work.

Edited by gone2seed
additional information
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

@gone2seed, which particular Enduro Engineering hand guard kit are you using on the Protaper Adventure Evo bars?

My story:  I've also got the Protaper Adventure Evo bars on, and have tried two different sets of Barkbusters clamps (one from the T7 kit, the other from a Versys-X 300 kit) - neither one has fit 100% properly / without interference.   I'm ready to try a different brand at this point, and your setup looks like it works just fine!

On 11/17/2020 at 9:25 AM, gone2seed said:

Good question! I have the stock bars off the bike now. Next time I’m in the shed I will measure the rise and sweep on the work bench.

Rise- 115mm

sweep-45mm

81A204B5-5ED6-4C8C-97D9-C91C2513B145.jpeg

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/enduro-engineering-evolution-debris-deflectors

1 1/8” pro taper

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/bullet-proof-designs-rigid-handguard-bar-end-mounts-with-tap-p

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone switched to these bars when you already had the T7 barkbusters? Is there a simple fitting i can buy to adapt the barkbusters to them?

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 9:07 AM, JimmyTheHuman said:

Has anyone switched to these bars when you already had the T7 barkbusters? Is there a simple fitting i can buy to adapt the barkbusters to them?

Bench vise.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also installed some of the regular height adventure bars.  I really like them.  Much better for someone my height (6'4").

E9CFE49A-E4C1-41D2-913C-1F6FCD5079E0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.8c397929a4872b5652f3887ce0b9f5fd.jpeg

• Like 1

So, pro grip is making the 714 in red?

I like it!

• Like 1