Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Stop engine with kill switch, without reactivating ABS (mod)

Hogan

On 1/27/2022 at 10:40 AM, Everything Tene said:

But as many ppl do, just pulling the ABS solenoid fuse to ride with no ABS. 
this doesn’t throw error codes, Speedo works etc, just abs light is always on. 

so highjack the cable from fusebox (1) to the abs solenoid, put a switch in between and your good to go. 
to re enable abs, you will need to power off the bike completely, switch the switch then power on. 
but to disable, you can do it while the bike is on. 

im going to make a video about this, haven’t seen any on YT. 
but seen plenty ppl riding with constant abs light (fuse been pulled)

Keep me posted! This was exactly what I was thinking 

8.30 minute he talks on how he did it. might be easyer and your able to return to how it was quite easy.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Fraz's T7 said:

Keep me posted! This was exactly what I was thinking 

Will Do !!

Next week I’ll connect my switch and make a video. 
just need to sort my Speedo on the handlebar and upload my ep2 of the rally tower build

• Like 2

I too am doing Nerb's mod. I have a handlebar switch, but I've been waiting a month for the connector to arrive.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

1 hour ago, BADDANDY said:

I too am doing Nerb's mod. I have a handlebar switch, but I've been waiting a month for the connector to arrive.

Where did you source the connector?

9 hours ago, kainic said:

Where did you source the connector?

Amazon, never again.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

Just did my ABS switch mod, not as Nerb1. 
but powering off AbS Solenoid, should give the same result. 
but need to test it out, but bike is in bits at the moment 🙈😂
will release a video when I have tested and see that all is working as intended. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I just made what Everything Tene wants to do. I made a bridge from the ABS Solenoid (fuse 1 number 20) and connected it to a switch. When I test rode it in my garage, I didn’t get any error. There was no OFF ROAD text displayed and neither the yellow lights indicating that the ABS was shut but I wasn’t concerned because just by looking at my switch I could know if I deactived the ABS or not. I was then happy ... until ... when today, I went on the road and figured that the engine warning light was on... sh*t!

So I tried to turn off the bike, put my switch ON to activate the ABS again, then I turned on the bike again to see if it would go away but nope, the engine warning light was still ON. So apparently it doesn’t work completely.

I think that as long as any fuse is detected by the bike being cut off, it will show a warning light... so back to the start line!

EDIT :

I might have found a solution, it’s not a real one but we can get around this problem of the engine light.

I just commended an OBD2 bluetooth diagnostic tool. Which mean I can monitor it with my phone and erase the errors. So each time that the warning light is ON I open quick the app and erase it. Like this I’m not scared about having a real engine issue because I would be able to know from where it comes from. The pros also is that I can also diagnose any other issues if I am in the middle of nowhere and the bike has a problem.

I will see if it’s a viable solution and will let you know when I tested it!

Edited by Mattard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kainic said:

Seems that the way Nerb did it is simple and to the point?

And proven. I'm still waiting for my connector. I could just splice 2 wires into the stock wiring, but we're still snowed from the mountains for another few months, so I wait.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

3 hours ago, kainic said:

Seems that the way Nerb did it is simple and to the point?

It all depends of what you want indeed, if you simply want to be able to kill switch the bike then his mod is good.

But in my case, when I stop sometimes I turn the key off to not drain the batterie if a buddy needs help, or sometimes I turn it off because I can’t hear my buddy when we talk because of the ventilator or also when I fall and I need to turn off and on the bike for it to start, etc.. all those reasons will reactivate the ABS, which is exactly what we are all annoyed of.

So yea depending of what you need, there is the Nerb solution or mine (still to be tested lol) 😉

Edited by Mattard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogan said:

Nerb's method has the advantage of retaining front wheel ABS and surviving an ignition cycle, but has the same disadvantage in that it will require an ABS ECU power cycle to regain the rear ABS.

Nerb mod shuts off both front and rear ABS.  It creates an ABS error by interrupting the rear signal, hence the computer shuts off the entire ABS system.  It gives you the ABS warning light which now becomes the ABS ON/OFF light.  Like we said before, people are overthinking it.  Mod cost me $15 and takes 1 minute to return to stock.

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

Interesting, I need to test the bike the following week and see if it gives and error. 

9 hours ago, Hogan said:

Well in that case there is no advantage over just putting a switch on one of the fuses which is what people have been doing for 10-15 years.

I'm looking for a single switch solution to switch the ABS both off AND on, on the fly. And one that is accessible to a DIYer.

I totally agree, but I didn't want to take up any room with more wiring in the fuse block area and cutting/putting a hole in the lid as I use that area it for storage.  I've done that mod with AC systems in my vehicles numerous times.  I don't know if this would give the ABS light though, which is a good indicator if the system is ON or OFF.  Either way, the stock process is not much of a bother to me and this was one of those: "I'm bored, it's winter, what can I mod".  OFF is on the fly, which to me is the most important setting.  Usually, when you go from dirt to pavement, it's at an intersection and I'll usually stop and get my bearings so bike will be restarted anyways to turn ON.

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

• 3 weeks later...

I have some extra connectors if anyone is doing the Nerb1 mod. $10 in WA.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

Best overall solution is just to plug the breake hose outlet on ABS unit to the rear wheel. Then take a WR450 rear break piston and hose and get rid of rear wheel abs completely 😂
iwe seen one person doing that, then you have front wheel abs when going off-road but be able to slip and slits as much as you want with the rear 😬

I have yet been able to go out and test mine yet. Maybe this weekend. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 10:39 PM, Hogan said:

Well in that case there is no advantage over just putting a switch on one of the fuses which is what people have been doing for 10-15 years.

I'm looking for a single switch solution to switch the ABS both off AND on, on the fly. And one that is accessible to a DIYer.

Except for the fact that interrupting a low potential signal wire is far more benign and simple than interrupting a 12V / 20A circuit (should be done with a relay).  Really confused why anybody wouldn't do it NERB1's method until somebody can improve upon it.  Obviously the 2023 Euro (non-US) units have the ability to disable the rear ABS (or both), so maybe there is hope to retrofit such capabilities on previous generations.  Ordering connectors now.

14 hours ago, e010584 said:

Except for the fact that interrupting a low potential signal wire is far more benign and simple than interrupting a 12V / 20A circuit (should be done with a relay).  Really confused why anybody wouldn't do it NERB1's method until somebody can improve upon it.  Obviously the 2023 Euro (non-US) units have the ability to disable the rear ABS (or both), so maybe there is hope to retrofit such capabilities on previous generations.  Ordering connectors now.

I done the mod in Yasenia vid but used a relay to interrupt the fuse. I wish I’d seen his video before doing it as I didn’t know you had to cycle the ignition to re-enable the ABS.

I ended up removing this set-up and fitting an engine kill switch on the sidestand switch. With this the engine can be shut off without reactivating the ABS. I replaced the sidestand switch with a bar mount switch but you could also connect this additional switch in series with the sidestand switch if you wanted to retain that safety feature.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 2/5/2022 at 10:38 AM, BADDANDY said:

Anyone have a hard link to Nerb mod step by step? I want to switch on and off rear wheel abs while retaining front like "off road" mode. Just want to do it while moving.

3 hours ago, tom_k said:

Anyone have a hard link to Nerb mod step by step? I want to switch on and off rear wheel abs while retaining front like "off road" mode. Just want to do it while moving.

Have you tried the abs off-road in anger? The few times I’ve forgotten to switch it off have been scary, with no real front end braking.

Not sure if the WR uses a different off road strategy with just the rear switched off.