Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Make up my mind for me. Arai XD4 or Klim Krios Pro?

Cruizin

In need of a new helmet.  I love Klim, have a ton of Klim gear in my closet. Have their live banner here on the top of every page of this forum. They are legendary here in Idaho among Snowmobilers and Motorcyclists for quality and long lasting gear that keeps you dry and comfy. 

But, I hear a ton of awesome things about the Arai XD4 from our European members and they are legendary in their own right on ADVrider.com.   

Klim Krios Pro 

klim_krios_pro_helmet_ece_dot_arsenal_ar

Koroyd materials and construction elevate impact protection and ventilation for an ADV helmet that protects from the street to the trails.

Seems to be very light, the visor has alot of airflow to help with preventing wind catching it and tilting the head back,  the visor is also removable easily for street riding. The liner is different Kyros or something like that. ECE rated.  I like that it comes with a transitions shield. My current Bell helmet has a transitions shield and I love and am spoiled by it. 

Arai XD4

81-7730XD4Blk.jpg

At home on or off-road, the versatile, Snell-rated Arai XD-4 Helmet has a removable floating peak and multiple vents for improved ventilation.

I don't know alot about tis helmet. I have never owned an Arai but I have always heard stellar reviews. I like that it is "Snell" rated, as I put more faith into snell testing than I have in ECE ratings. DOT ratings are useless to me. 

I am going to "get" one of these helmets for a Christmas present.  Which one should I choose? 

• Like 1

A friend of mine bought a Klim helmet and said was rubbish, ill fitting internal trim and generally not well made. Rarely uses it and uses his Arai. Not the one you mentioned.

Love my Arai Tour X...it's such a great bit of kit,  beautifully made 👌.  I just wish there were some different visors available...ie iridium blue/ red etc. But that's a minor gripe...it's comfortable over long distances,  well ventilated and works well with goggles too. Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

Arai Tour X4, plus points - great helmet, very comfortable, fits really well, very well made. Negative points - no photochromic visor available so if you want a dark visor you have to swop visors which is very easy on the new version, pinlock doesn't fit that well (mine doesn't and I’ve given up on it). Otherwise a great helmet. 

• Like 1

I have the Arai and I must say it's the most comfortable helmet I've owned, I'm very happy with it,  though the Klim helmet sure does look nice, hard choice, for me when I was choosing an Adventure type helmet it came down to fit and comfort, I was lucky my first choice was Arai xd4 and it was by far the best fit, apparently it is possible to get different thicknesses of inner liner's to suit your melon.

Which helmet fits your head shape the best should be the first step in choosing a brand. My "intermediate oval" noggin fits the XD4. Haven't tried on a Krios.

Not sure what skull shape Klim's fit and I didn't see mention of shape on their online sizing chart.

• Like 1

Ive had my XD4 for 3 years and love it...and have been wearing Arai for a long time. Top quality, and they fit me well.

• Like 1

I have a Shoei Hornet ADV which also has transitions Visor, I chose it over the Arai ( however I have a RX7 and love Arai ! ) because I found it just felt better, worth considering especially given smart visor, and I am a little fed up with poor Arai Visor change requirements, which they all suffer from !

Edited by Spelldrummer

for my head Arai helmets have been uncomfortable so i have stuck with shoei.  i do want to try on the XD4 to see how the new helmets fit.

I have the krios pro, the build quality is excellent and the features are great. The transitions lense and the fid lock are great features that come standard.

• Like 1

I love my Arai XD-4.  I had the XD-3 before that and loved it too.

And I also have Shoei Neotec (and love it too), for more street oriented stuff.  So the "Shoei vs Arai head shape" is mythical to be.  Nothing feels good immediately.  No helmet and no seat.  They fit with time.

(I cannot comment on the Klim.  I like their stuff too but I haven't tried their helmets.)

Edited by ride2little

I tried both. Klim Kris pro felt very light and I liked the looks of it but didn't seem to fit my head shape hence felt uncomfortable. Arai tour x4 fitted me perfectly. Had a few full day trips since I bought it and still find it very comfortable. Great ventilaton is a massive plus as well. 

I’v been using my XD-4 for a couple years now. Yes, it’s a very comfortable helmet, but it sure is loud on this bike. Researching different windscreens for the T7 right now .

• Like 1

I haven't tried the Klim.

I used the Arai for a couple of years.

Very comfortable, no doubt. Yet, very heavy.

I would look for lighter alternatives. The Klim is a good alternative to check. 

Also, keep in mind, it depends on your head shape. For one it can be fantastic, for the other, it might feel off.

Anyhow, both are descent choices. You cannot go wrong.

I have the Scorpion EXO-AT950 - and am thrilled with it

https://www.scorpionusa.com/product/exo-at950-solid/
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-at950-battleflage-helmet

Have worn it on IronButt 1000+mile day ride
Have worn it on local MX track

as Uncle M  mentioned - fit is v- important.

For decades I was a "Shoei Only" kind of guy - then the prices kept creeping higher and higher.
I can't wear a "cheapo" Cycle Gear Bilt(tm) helmet.   However, if a had is DOT approved, better Snell or EU?   its safe.

My ex used to work at RoadRider here in San Jose.  The Scorpion Team was on site for some sale or tech event, and I got to try on, as well as talk to them about their helmets.

I bought a Scorpion EXO R2000 for trackdays (needed full and not modular - for track)
loved it.
accidentally fell down in 2018 - it did what it was advertised.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another - as I DO replace my lids every 3 years.

YMMV

• Like 2

I have a Klim Krios Vanquish (very similar to the Pro), and it is a great helmet.  The lightness of the Krios helmet is significant.  I bomb through the woods all day on my Beta, and my neck feels just fine afterwards.  It is comfortably light.  My older Shoei Hornet, which is still a great helmet, left me with a sore neck afterwards due to the heavier weight.  The pinlock that came with my Krios is probably one of the best mods I've ever had.  My Shoei without a pinlock was always fogging up on me.  The Klim never ever fogs at all.  I've all but forgotten what it's like to have a foggy face shield.

But, I've found the Krios to be noisy on highway riding, especially on the T7.  I'm considering just using the Klim Krios for offroad riding and getting an Arai XD-4 or Shoei Hornet X2 for adventure riding.   Also, as mentioned above, it may come down to the shape of your noggin.  To me, helmets are one of those things that you have to try in person to compare.  So if you have an option to order both, try them on and send back the one that's not right for you, I think that's the way to go.  Keep us posted!

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 10:37 AM, Cruizin said:

In need of a new helmet.  I love Klim, have a ton of Klim gear in my closet. Have their live banner here on the top of every page of this forum. They are legendary here in Idaho among Snowmobilers and Motorcyclists for quality and long lasting gear that keeps you dry and comfy. 

But, I hear a ton of awesome things about the Arai XD4 from our European members and they are legendary in their own right on ADVrider.com.   

Klim Krios Pro 

klim_krios_pro_helmet_ece_dot_arsenal_ar

Koroyd materials and construction elevate impact protection and ventilation for an ADV helmet that protects from the street to the trails.

Seems to be very light, the visor has alot of airflow to help with preventing wind catching it and tilting the head back,  the visor is also removable easily for street riding. The liner is different Kyros or something like that. ECE rated.  I like that it comes with a transitions shield. My current Bell helmet has a transitions shield and I love and am spoiled by it. 

Arai XD4

81-7730XD4Blk.jpg

At home on or off-road, the versatile, Snell-rated Arai XD-4 Helmet has a removable floating peak and multiple vents for improved ventilation.

I don't know alot about tis helmet. I have never owned an Arai but I have always heard stellar reviews. I like that it is "Snell" rated, as I put more faith into snell testing than I have in ECE ratings. DOT ratings are useless to me. 

I am going to "get" one of these helmets for a Christmas present.  Which one should I choose? 

Both are great helmets Rob.  I chose the Krios Pro because of the weight, or lack of.  The transitions visor is ok.  Just ok.  With the peak installed, it does get slight spotting where the sun is blocked, and if I'm honest, it doesn't get as dark as I would like.

As far as your statement about DOT ratings being useless...

Just for everyone else's benefit, I feel the need to state that NOT ALL DOT-only rated helmets are created equal.

DOT gets a bad rap (and for good reason sometimes) because it's a self-certifying certification.

CYCLE WORLD explained it best like 10 years ago:)

"Helmets sold in the U.S. for street use must meet the criteria of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218, the official DOT standard. Like any other products manufactured to DOT standards such as lights, turn signals and wheels, a helmet model is not actually tested or certified to meet FMVSS 218 before it can be sold; the honor system is used. It's up to the manufacturer to test whatever is necessary to determine if the helmet meets the standard and then label it thus. The DOT, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA ), relies on independent, random testing of helmets obtained from retail outlets to police the standard. What this means is that I could make helmets from papier mach here in my office, put DOT labels on the back and sell them on eBay as meeting the DOT standard. Everything would be fine and no one would know otherwise until the helmets were chosen for random testing-if they were even chosen."

So here is an example of a DOT helmet that's not crap quality.  X-Lite, the racing decision of Nolan Helmets, tried to bring over their ECE rated top of the line ultra lightweight carbon fiber racing helmet a few years ago, called the X-802RR.  I waited for this helmet to come to the USA forever.

It took a lot longer than expected, because Nolan actually tested the ECE version against DOT standards...AND IT FAILED part of the test.

They actually had to develop a new, STRONGER shell, to pass DOT standards - and because of that, the US DOT version is slightly heavier than its ECE European counterpart by 20-30 grams (but still ridiculously lightweight).

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you buy from a reputable company, a known entity in the market, you'll be fine with a DOT-only helmet 🙂

Just my 2 cents 🙂

- Paul

• Like 2

Can’t comment on the Klim as I’ve never owned one. Love my Tour X4, very comfortable and fits my head perfectly and great ventilation. Only negative is no photochromic visor available (please Arai make one for the Tour X4). 

F977813A-C5DB-402C-B4CE-0BF553057547.jpeg

D240F4A8-9722-48DE-8EFD-38F2BB235A85.jpeg

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Both are great helmets Rob.  I chose the Krios Pro because of the weight, or lack of.  The transitions visor is ok.  Just ok.  With the peak installed, it does get slight spotting where the sun is blocked, and if I'm honest, it doesn't get as dark as I would like.

As far as your statement about DOT ratings being useless...

Just for everyone else's benefit, I feel the need to state that NOT ALL DOT-only rated helmets are created equal.

DOT gets a bad rap (and for good reason sometimes) because it's a self-certifying certification.

CYCLE WORLD explained it best like 10 years ago:)

"Helmets sold in the U.S. for street use must meet the criteria of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218, the official DOT standard. Like any other products manufactured to DOT standards such as lights, turn signals and wheels, a helmet model is not actually tested or certified to meet FMVSS 218 before it can be sold; the honor system is used. It's up to the manufacturer to test whatever is necessary to determine if the helmet meets the standard and then label it thus. The DOT, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA ), relies on independent, random testing of helmets obtained from retail outlets to police the standard. What this means is that I could make helmets from papier mach here in my office, put DOT labels on the back and sell them on eBay as meeting the DOT standard. Everything would be fine and no one would know otherwise until the helmets were chosen for random testing-if they were even chosen."

So here is an example of a DOT helmet that's not crap quality.  X-Lite, the racing decision of Nolan Helmets, tried to bring over their ECE rated top of the line ultra lightweight carbon fiber racing helmet a few years ago, called the X-802RR.  I waited for this helmet to come to the USA forever.

It took a lot longer than expected, because Nolan actually tested the ECE version against DOT standards...AND IT FAILED part of the test.

They actually had to develop a new, STRONGER shell, to pass DOT standards - and because of that, the US DOT version is slightly heavier than its ECE European counterpart by 20-30 grams (but still ridiculously lightweight).

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you buy from a reputable company, a known entity in the market, you'll be fine with a DOT-only helmet 🙂

Just my 2 cents 🙂

- Paul

My problem with DOT rated helmets are this.  The below useless piece of shet helmet is DOT rated. Yes, this piece of shet that wouldn't protect anyone from anything is DOT rated. If DOT's standards are so low they they certify this, then i dont trust any of their ratings or any helmet that is only DOT rated. It's like no rating at all. 

I know the transition shields only get so dark, but they work amazingly well for me on my Bell helmets. Im spoiled by them. 

Here is another "DOT" rated helmet. 

p.5224.1-d1-bns.png

D.O.T. Daytona Skull Cap. Slim Line Design Offering A Sleek, Contoured Shell That Hugs Your Head in dull black.

Experience with Klim krios (not pro) ; 

-Super light 

-Comfortable on the bean for hours, but had to jump the cheek pads up to thickest to get a solid face fit because they're almost TOO soft.

-pinlock works like it should, no fog

-tooless visor swap is a bit fidgety, one side much harder to remove than the other.

- visors are thin & kinda flimsy & detents are not super strong. It has blown shut a couple times if not open fully.

-not super quiet. Especially seated on the T7 which seems to direct the wind right at my lid. It's quieter standing out of the flow. 

-Plenty of space for the ears which the bugs also seem to find easily. Wear plugs as much for them as the noise.

-peak doesn't become a sail at speed but shades well enough. 

- head liner wants to creep down out of place slightly across the brow but not something you notice while riding.

-Huge field of view that just accommodates the Scott prospect goggles which are notoriously large.

-Doesn't seem as well made as it could for be the price. But it's easy to forget I'm wearing it, especially off road because of the weight & comfort.

-Would I buy again? Meh...maybe try something different next time if going that spendy again. 

Decisions, decisions...good luck!

14 hours ago, Cruizin said:

My problem with DOT rated helmets are this.  The below useless piece of shet helmet is DOT rated. Yes, this piece of shet that wouldn't protect anyone from anything is DOT rated. If DOT's standards are so low they they certify this, then i dont trust any of their ratings or any helmet that is only DOT rated. It's like no rating at all. 

I know the transition shields only get so dark, but they work amazingly well for me on my Bell helmets. Im spoiled by them. 

OOOHHHH   I want this one!  it would look SO COOL on ADV rides  

:P 😛😛

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Here is another "DOT" rated helmet. 

p.5224.1-d1-bns.png

D.O.T. Daytona Skull Cap. Slim Line Design Offering A Sleek, Contoured Shell That Hugs Your Head in dull black.

I guess my point is that it might be "rated" as DOT, but was it actually CERTIFIED?

And even if the above helmet was SNELL rated, I mean look at it, it's not going to protect you from anything, LoL.