Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Highway Dirt Bikes Handguard Install

BLZ2DWL

Damn. I wish I had known to ask about getting the guards black anodized when I ordered mine. Looks sharp in black. The mirrors do kick ass and it’s nice not having the stock mirrors on the bike. Cleans up the air flow a bit. 

Edited by Liquidape

3 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

Damn. I wish I had known to ask about getting the guards black anodized when I ordered mine. Looks sharp in black. The mirrors do kick ass and it’s nice not having the stock mirrors on the bike. Cleans up the air flow a bit. 

They look great, but I may regret them the first time I drop it and scratch them up.  

I'm a big fan of the HDB handguards and happened to have a set left off a previous bike so Chad supplied the top clamp and bar inserts and I was back in business.  I have a question about rotating the brake line though.  How did you bleed it?  I was hesitant to disconnect the banjo since I didn't know if the ABS system would make it difficult to bleed.

1 minute ago, ArkMark said:

I'm a big fan of the HDB handguards and happened to have a set left off a previous bike so Chad supplied the top clamp and bar inserts and I was back in business.  I have a question about rotating the brake line though.  How did you bleed it?  I was hesitant to disconnect the banjo since I didn't know if the ABS system would make it difficult to bleed.

Easy. When you loosen and rotate the line, you will get some air in the top of the line and the master cylinder, but it doesn't go down through the system. Cover the bike and fairing area with rags. I also wrap a rag around the line to catch the fluid. 

• First, remove the master cylinder lid and simply squeeze lever slowly a few times
    • Careful, as the fluid will bubble and you can make a mess if you squeeze too fast.
    • This will get most of the air out of the system.
  • Then:
    • Squeeze lever and hold
    • Crack banjo bolt loose (1/4-1/2 turn should do it), fluid and air will bubble out. 
    • Tighten banjo bolt
    • Release lever
    • Squeeze and release lever a couple times to restore pressure. 
    • Repeat 2-3 times. 
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

For those of you who have installed these without bar end weights, how much additional vibration are you getting in the grips?

What he said 👆-Dead steady, sleek and out of the way. IMO, the most elegant solution there is.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

@BLZ2DWL thanks for your helpful guide.  I had a question related to the banjo bolt / front reservoir as it relates:

I’ve put the HDB guards on, and in the process of adjusting the banjo bolt, I’ve managed to create a problem - now no matter which orientation I tighten the banjo bolt down in, brake fluid flows out of the banjo bolt area and I resultingly have no brake pressure.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

9 minutes ago, GreatDistances said:

@BLZ2DWL thanks for your helpful guide.  I had a question related to the banjo bolt / front reservoir as it relates:

I’ve put the HDB guards on, and in the process of adjusting the banjo bolt, I’ve managed to create a problem - now no matter which orientation I tighten the banjo bolt down in, brake fluid flows out of the banjo bolt area and I resultingly have no brake pressure.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Did you lose a washer?

• Like 1

I agree with mpatch. There should be a washer on both sides of the banjo fitting. If they are both there, I suggest loosening the bolt and wiggling the fitting around a bit to be sure it's sitting on the bolt properly and not hung up on a thread, etc., and trying to retighten the bolt. 

image.png.3d4898f26add7d50d2fb411087473d66.png

• Like 2

Thanks guys.  Both washers are still in place.  I’ve tried wiggling and re-setting the fitting but fluid keeps coming out regardless of positioning - it’s a glacially slow leak with no pressure, and an easy flow with brake pressure.  Perhaps it’s wise to replace the crush washers at this point as a next step?

Edited by GreatDistances

The only other thing I could thing of is the tab is hitting the stop not allowing it to properly seat 

This is what mine looks like. 

8686DCF3-18A9-41E8-BA58-369B35CA6844.jpeg

• Like 1

@mpatch I’m not having any direct interference with the tab that I can sense - I’m going to try fresh crush washers and I’ll report back.  Also - which bars are you running?  I’ve got Protaper Evo Sx Race bend on and it’s a whole different story on backbone/reservoir clearance for me (which is exactly what I’m working on here!).2AC70F83-95A9-478F-9CD2-65053B3820A0.thumb.jpeg.fd772bbb6c89e1c7b9ffd718b66bd4a1.jpeg

Post a pic looking down, something doesn’t look right. Could just be my eyes. 

Post a pic looking down, something doesn’t look right. Could just be my eyes. 

what is the brown looking thing?

Doesn’t look right 

09F09378-F5AB-4F83-B828-330A3D33BBC1.jpeg

Edited by mpatch

I stepped away from the bike for a bit, but I think that's just the warm light in the garage or a misfire on my phone camera's white balance.  I've never fully pulled the bolt out of the reservoir so nothing's gone missing in the assembly / nothing's been added either.  When I replace the crush washers I'm going to give the area a wipe down so there's no possible debris in the way.

Just from the pic the tab doesn’t look like it could hit the stop if that makes sense. Post a pic looking down at it. 

Ahhh, now I see what you mean.  I'll have to take a trip back to the bike to check it out / take a pic (it's parked offsite).

If you didn't take the bolt all of the way out, then it could certainly be debris. New washers might help, but they ought to work more than once. It could be that the factory overtightened it, crushing the washers far enough that they won't seal again. I've loosened the banjo bolt to bleed the brakes or clutch on many bikes and never had a problem. 

Here’s a fresh couple of top down pic of the banjo.  Nothing looks visually troubling to my eyes.  I pulled the crush washers and they look about done though.  Hope to pick up a couple of new ones tomorrow to see if that’s the fix I need!

C0914D96-AB2D-4E97-989D-5EBC8C1FC3BB.jpeg

92B6148D-CACF-402A-99D9-B5E0A1C1301A.jpeg

Ha!  Well I just appreciate you coming with me on this journey of discovery!

I haven't applied any (known, intentional) off-axis pressure on the banjo so hopefully that's not the case.  If the new crush washers don't solve the problem I'll call in some in-person help from some mechanically-minded riding buddies.  The weather looks decent this weekend so hopefully I can get it all sorted by then!

Edited by GreatDistances

My last idea.
Maybe some debris behind the end of the banjo in the master that when you initially loosened it dropped down/moved and is not allowing the bolt to fully seat?

when it’s tight can you move the hose with some effort?

Update:  new crush washers and appropriate torque (spec is 30nm on banjo bolt, which felt like a lot to apply) sealed properly and I have brakes again.  I did not need to bleed yet but I'm going to take it easy on first rides just in case.

Moral of the story:  if you plan on messing with the banjo bolt, it may be a good idea to have at least (2) or more fresh crush washers on hand just in case you have the same problem I did.

OEM part number for the banjo crush washers (listed as gaskets on Yamaha parts diagrams) is 90430-10005-00.  You should be able to find these generic at an MC shop for cheaper, so long as you can show them the size you need (which may be tricky without one in hand as an example).

• Like 5