Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Alternative Aux light mount

Amani

I just removed aux lights from a different bike to put on this bike. I really like having them mounted so they shine where I am steering and this fits the bill. I am interested in what opinions are out there, pro or con. I think they are protected well on the fork for the riding I intend to do.

The connectors are two pin from a Suzuki. Is that a direct p&p or do I need to switch them out?

I am a self proclaimed nit wit when it comes to electrical (especially bikes). I'd like a simple connection that comes on with the headlights. I don't need a switch or dimmer. I guess I may need someone to wire them up for me. The lights are not aimed in the photos below. I will do that once they are working.

Thanks all.

20210114_132029.jpg

20210114_132040.jpg

Edited by Amani
Consolidate my thoughts

You will need to wire them up to the bike somehow. lot of different options. That is an interesting spot to mount them, I would not have thought of that myself. 

I tried mounting lights here but I am not convinced its a great place.

there is a whole thread here that might help you

Mike

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13ac.thumb.jpg.be84757ed1fe0a378ec8cd88915c39c4.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13b2.jpg

How useful this is depends on what you're trying to achieve.  If you're going for conspicuity, this isn't going to work well.  If you're going for additional illumination of the trail/road you're loosing about 1/2 your useful light with that angle.  It looks like it would just light up a spot directly next to your tire, which you shouldn't be looking at anyway when riding.  Just my $0.02.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AngryNeutron said:

How useful this is depends on what you're trying to achieve.  If you're going for conspicuity, this isn't going to work well.  If you're going for additional illumination of the trail/road you're loosing about 1/2 your useful light with that angle.  It looks like it would just light up a spot directly next to your tire, which you shouldn't be looking at anyway when riding.  Just my $0.02.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. My intention is to be seen and aid night riding if caught out in country. I edited my OP to reflect that the lights as pointed in the photos are not aimed in their proper/final direction.

I think I would have mounted them on the crash bars, and inside the body of the bike so they don't hit if (when) you drop the bike.

33 minutes ago, dirt5track said:

I mounted my amber fog lights to the same location and love it! 

Yeah, I think this is their new home.

Initially I installed them on a homemade bracket under the head light but my lights were big enough that they hit the fender at full travel so I moved them. 

I also like that the lights turn with the fork, but mounted mine using the Rugged Roads bracket to have them up higher.

I have just enough clearance for a pair of Baja Design Squadron sport. As far as wiring, there is a spare connector under the throttle side that you can tap into for switched power, then add a simple switch that you can buy from Amazon or Ebay. A relay setup may be better, but a switch rated for let's say 20A should be fine for a pair of low power LEDs.

• Like 1

I think it's better to mount the auxiliary lights to a "sprung" part of the bike rather than an unsprung part of the bike. Nothing annoys me more than lights jumping up and down when riding over bumpy roads. I've got a Stedi LED light bar that i'm looking to mount under the headlight on the bottom of the triple clamp, I just hope it will have enough clearance when the suspension fully compresses as it's a double row LED. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Whitey66 said:

I think it's better to mount the auxiliary lights to a "sprung" part of the bike rather than an unsprung part of the bike. Nothing annoys me more than lights jumping up and down when riding over bumpy roads. I've got a Stedi LED light bar that i'm looking to mount under the headlight on the bottom of the triple clamp, I just hope it will have enough clearance when the suspension fully compresses as it's a double row LED. 

There is a reasonable amount of clearance under there. I ended up having to drop down the mount for the auxiliary lights to clear the crash bars, still good to go. 
E996E722-B3EC-47B0-99FA-A55EA810BA27.thumb.png.b49c6ec462326d28449084e00a181362.png

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

On 1/22/2021 at 8:55 PM, palada said:

I also like that the lights turn with the fork, but mounted mine using the Rugged Roads bracket to have them up higher.

I have just enough clearance for a pair of Baja Design Squadron sport. As far as wiring, there is a spare connector under the throttle side that you can tap into for switched power, then add a simple switch that you can buy from Amazon or Ebay. A relay setup may be better, but a switch rated for let's say 20A should be fine for a pair of low power LEDs.

I like that bracket. Seems a good, reasonably priced solution to move them higher.

1 hour ago, Amani said:

I like that bracket. Seems a good, reasonably priced solution to move them higher.

I think the OP was saying his lights were big enough that the rugged roads bracket would allow them to contact the fender at full compression. Just make sure the lights you plan to mount will be small enough.

Mike

Mounted my lights today.

Photo finally loaded. They are mounted to the top bolt of two at the top of the fork guards. They are unsprung and do not bounce as one rider voiced concern they would.

20210129_220307.jpg

Edited by Amani
Photo didn't load. Not sure why.