Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Center stands

Jim  Listowich

Hi all.

Purchased a Hepco Becker center stand for my 2021 T 700. Assembly was straight forward. Fit is excellent BUT the chain touches the stand when it is up.

I have checked the install ( emailed pics to Moto machines where it was puchased) all looks good. I can't see how it could be installed incorrectly as it will only fit in one place. Has anyone else had this problem? Would love feed back before I remove it.

Thanks

Hey, Jim

I have a HB stand as well. When I installed it, I noticed that it was very close to the chain when it was up with the bike on the side stand. It bugged me as well.

Have you looked at the chain and center stand with a rider's weight on the bike? It doesn't connect with the center stand when I do that, and any significant bumps on rough terrain would bring the chain farther from the center stand when the chain is under tension. I just went out to the garage after seeing your message. After over a thousand miles of riding on road and off, I can see no evidence that the chain is leaving any marks on the center stand - meaning that it's not connecting with it while riding. I'm not worried about it, even with the relatively slack chain tension I prefer running.

I hope that helps.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave

I have not checked it with weight. Will check it that way. I did tighten the chain and it did not change much, I don't want to run a tight chain either.

My driveway is still covered with ice so no road test yet.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I mounted the OEM Main stand.  It is very sturdy and supports the bike well but it tends to bounce and rattle when I'm offroad.  On my last trip I found myself tying it up with rope to the passenger peg mounts.  Any better solution?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just mounted the OEM Center Stand as my first accessory. Before installing the springs it seemed like there was 1-2mm of side play, which I thought could contribute to rattling so  I shimmed the space with an appropriately sized washer to get the gap under 1mm. Weighed the whole kit on a bathroom scale at 10-lbs. It didn't feel that heavy in hand and a bathroom scale is not very accurate at that end of the range. 4 bolts are replaced, the rest of the hardware is added.

As for the installation process, took me a couple of hours, but I'm slow and don't have nifty tools like spring puller or bike lift/stand. The kit was complete and the instructions are orderly and illustrated but far from overly thorough. The job isn't hard but some mechanical aptitude is required.

i-pqxRT56-X2[1].jpg

i-NpCDj27-X2[1].jpg

• Like 2

I've decided not to go the center stand route and just add this bike jack to the garage tool collection.. 

100 euro home delivered. 

lifts more than high enough for the T7 and is surprisingly sturdy and balanced.  even though it feels kinda flimsy it does the job. 

couldn't bare the thought of having something slap around and rattle while riding... 

9Loc2thjQlevEffJqToHNQ_thumb_475a.thumb.jpg.6a327ace4e804a98bac8eb0e0f4b2998.jpg

• Like 2

A bike jack is handy for home use. I use one for my non-center stand equipped bikes, both of which have cradle frames and high-mount exhaust header pipes. The Ténéré 700 Owner's Manual (page 7-36) has the bold-font "Notice: Do not lift the motorcycle from under the skid plate or by the frame sub-members." It is quite specific about how to lift the T7 with a motorcycle jack, which in short, involves removing the cowling and using pieces of wood for support. Examining the cowling, exhaust pipes routing, and the non-load bearing sub-frame, I see why these precautions are necessary. All that negates the convenience of using a bike jack on the T7.

Since a bike jack is a garage-only tool, for multi-day/multi-week trips I carry Enduro Star Trail Stands on my dual sport bikes. They're portable but sketchy to use.  They lean the bike to the left which is unfriendly for chain maintenance. Having used them for front and rear flat repair (tube replacement) in the field, they've earned their keep. My Super Ténéré came with a center stand and I use it a lot, can't say that I've ever heard it clang around. Between the experience of a center stand equipped bike, the requirement of chain maintenance on the T7, and not wanting to use a trail stand on a 450+ lb bike, a center stand was my top priority accessory for the T7.

i-2GRpsQ8-X2[1].jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have one NIB that came with my purchase, I wonder if the Yamaha dealer would let me return it for a refund?  I didn’t want the adventure pkg when I bought it 6 hrs away, but the dealer said it was a package deal when it was ordered?  I’m happy with the crash bars and luggage so far, but don’t want the extra weight and noise when I’m running dirt.

When I installed my crash bars and luggage frame I used a ratchet strap over head attached to the rear pegs to lift it off the ground.  I can see the stand being handy if I was going over the road on a journey  but It was more of a fun “dirt bike” before I added all the extra weight! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the HB and found my chain would lightly contact the stand when the swingarm was at it's lowest point with the chain property adjusted.  Seems the rubber pad the stand rests against when it's up got smushed over time and that was the reason the stand was able to rise up further than it should.  For a temporary fix before a 2,000 mile ride,  I took a metal screw clamp and an old rubber bung and placed it on the stand to meet the rubber support when the stand was up.  Worked like a champ, though it's not a beautiful solution.  🙂  I'll mess with it again when I get some time later.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Installed the H&B center stand tonight, clearance seemed fine for the chain.

The only con I have is the fastener sizes, 17 mm bolts and 8 mm allen. And two of the 17 mm bolts will require sockets because they replaced 12 mm bolts so the head barely fits in the recess, so there is no way a normal wrench or spanner will fit. I am not keen on adding 4 tools to my kit to keep this stand snug, I will be getting replacements for all the fasteners that have 12 mm heads. That's easier than increasing the size of my tool tube.

I was pleasantly surprised at the weight of the kit when I received it, thought it would weigh more but it wasn't that bad.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

@rc_card 2-year follow-up on the Ténéré 700 OEM Center Stand

Having used the Yamaha OEM Center Stand for almost 2 years, I have some observations clanging around in my head. While I stand by my original rationale for getting it, please allow me the benefit of hindsight. If you must have a center stand, there are more choices today than there were 2 years ago. While the Yamaha unit is sturdy and functional, it is heavy at 10 lbs. There are lighter weight alternatives if weight is a concern for you.

Any center stand is going to take abuse if you ride off pavement. Mine has plenty of evidence of that, but its function is unimpaired.

The thing that's beginning to get on my nerves is the clanging. While the Yamaha stand has 2 springs that hold the stand up tight, they cannot overcome the inertia of movement that causes your shock to compress rapidly. Earplugs do not hide this noise.

Before I give up on the stand, I'm going to experiment with secondary retention mechanisms to relieve the springs from having to hold the stand up. A secondary retention mechanism will add an extra step to the deployment/retraction process. So we'll see what bothers me more - the clanging or the inconvenience of another gizmo to fiddle with in order to use the center stand. I have trail stands as an emergency option and suppose I could get a pit stand for garage use that would be more convenient than the bike lift. 

So far, I've only tried a Proghorn Strap (silicon luggage strap) - there it was in my tank bag not being used. It's too stretchy and proximity to the exhaust presents a melting concern. Next try will be rope - simple and easy but I don't think it will be strong enough. I'm running out of stuff in my tank bag. I'll be happy to entertain suggestions for something clever, effective and most of all, simple to use.