Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How/where do you carry your tools?

mpatch

Trying to find a minimalist way to always have tools on the bike without any luggage. 
I’m getting closer to a solution but not there yet. 
Basic tools, ie tire repair stuff,  common fastener wrenches, and band aids (aka wire, jb weld, duct tape, zip ties, etc).  

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 2

10L Kreiga on PIllion.  I carry a mini pump.  That and tire tools and a front tube are around 10 lbs.  It's too much to fit under the rally seat.

J

• Like 3

Fuel hose , tyre pressure pump , tow rope , pack of bolts , rally raid wheel spanner , tire irons all under seat

then i have a tail bag on my small b & b rack with tubes , wet gear , first aid kit , personal locating beacon , home made crutch stick for wheel removal , 

tank bag holds snacks , goggles , ear plugs , sunnies , sunscreen few other bits . 
i try not carry anyhow but on my body .

a few people put spare tubes up and into the rear side panels

Edited by Stujamur
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Stujamur said:

53C25EFD-7142-47CD-954A-7B155223D864.jpeg

That’s what I’m talking about. 
I do have a crazy  more than likely stupid idea of making little storage compartments behind the side panels. 
I think I’ll work just once I start cutting there’s no going back. 
In my head it will work with some kydex molding and creativity. 

I've just updated my tail bag to a NELSON-RIGG CL-1060-S SPORT MOTORCYCLE TAIL / SEAT BAG.

Fits all tools plus expands for jacket etc, I've tried to cull my tools etc but not so successful!

not a fan of storing anything on top of the battery, recpie for disaster I'm thinking.

IMG_20210504_074141354.jpg

IMG_20210504_074148625.jpg

31 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

I've just updated my tail bag to a NELSON-RIGG CL-1060-S SPORT MOTORCYCLE TAIL / SEAT BAG.

Fits all tools plus expands for jacket etc, I've tried to cull my tools etc but not so successful!

not a fan of storing anything on top of the battery, recpie for disaster I'm thinking.

I hate tail bags but that’s a whole different topic for me. 🤐

I’d rather have some sort of mini pannier setup vs a tail bag. 

for the stuff on top of the battery I can easily mold  a piece of kydex to cover everything 

if I get bored later I’ll see what I can do 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

I was hoping my mini compressor in the bag on the battery would not be an issue , have seen lots of people put tools in bags there . maybe i need something more in between or stick it in my tail bag and go back just having a tube strapped under the seat so its sits up off the area 

Edited by Stujamur

The underside of my mini compressor bag has already worn through, so it's a possible metal on metal situation, I'd much prefer not to have a tail bag too, but it's just easier in the end,I've bolted my bag to the B&b rack, straps give to much movement.

• Like 1

Hand pump. 
I Have never been one to air up or down. 
I still use the same hand pump I’ve had for 9 years and it’s small, cheap and works.  

Yes if you get a flat you’re going to be pumping for a few minutes but it always works. 

image.jpg

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 2

I imagine I carry too much stuff, but I bought a tool bag that I strap on the back for it all. Tank bag for small stuff, heavy stuff goes in tail bag. I don't think the tail bag affects the handling too much. The tank bag I think might. I was riding in deep dry sand in Utah and having more trouble with my front end than I was used to. Had to go slow and needed dabs from time to time. I suspect now my tank bag affected handling more than I realized. Want to do sand again and take off the tank bag to compare.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Moto said:

I imagine I carry too much stuff, but I bought a tool bag that I strap on the back for it all. Tank bag for small stuff, heavy stuff goes in tail bag. I don't think the tail bag affects the handling too much. The tank bag I think might. I was riding in deep dry sand in Utah and having more trouble with my front end than I was used to. Had to go slow and needed dabs from time to time. I suspect now my tank bag affected handling more than I realized. Want to do sand again and take off the tank bag to compare.

My thoughts have always been all the tools in the world don’t help if you need parts. 
The vast majority of the time if something breaks it’s either band aid it back together or game over no matter how many tools you have. 
Other than tire issues, jb weld or something similar, duct tape, zip ties etc, if that can’t hobble you back to civilization you’re screwed no matter how many tools you have. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

I just ride with my buddy Ross, He is one of those "Always Be Prepared" guys. He packs 50+ pounds of crap with him. Ya, it costs me plenty in beer when I need to borrow something... Kind'a a Win/Win situation.

I used to carry a bunch of tools. The one time it came in handy was fixing someone else’s Jeep along the road. 
IIRC it was a 13mm 12 point that was needed for a u joint or some crap, they had a whole tool box but not a 12 point socket  

• 7 months later...

Hey,

I used a knock off  Kriega 10 Liter bag,  the name is "uglybros" got it from Aliexpress.  I carry my tyre irons, 2 tubes, 12VDC inflator, tools to remove the tyres, there's still some room for watter bottle or my rain suit. The rest fits under the seat.

• Like 1

begining of the year i did 10000 miles all around mexico  on a 2002 gs bmw,now i also own a yam T7.i brought too many tools &else ,but ended up using most of it.specially the straps ,a yamaha 350 pulled me 30 kms at midnight to a safe motel.something to be said for that

On the Crosstourer and XT660Z i have a tooltube, for the T7 i have not yet decided what i'll do.
Every bike has it's own toolkit containing only what's needed, be prepared for everything as light as possible.
Only the Bead Pro tyre irons, compressor and powerbank/startbooster switches from bike to bike.

• Like 1

I carry the standard tools that come with the bike plus a couple of spanners in case something comes loose this lives under the luggage plate that replaces the pillion seat, i don't go off road so i can rely on recovery i have a Bikers dream mini  foot pump and have spare inner tubes in case of a puncture they live in the top box as all this kit is too easy to steal from strap on bags.

Edited by Mapbook

I have a tail bag that I stuff with various tools, water, lunch etc. that I may use on my mini adventures.  I carry the T7 tool kit under the seat as well.  Only once in the 45 years of biking have I had to call a tow truck to rescue me.  So I don't get too carried away with tools.

Edited by Landshark

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tooltube on my CT and XT660Z but fr the T7 i'm planning on the Fatty toolrol and i have to complete the toolset for the T7 (every bike has it's own model specific set).
One thing i never had or used is JB weld but i thing it will be a important add on but which one do i need, de 2K liquid or the putty stick?

Tubes and compressor in my Mojave bags, some tools under the rear seat and I fitted a Kappa toolbox for the rest of my tools.

14CD5495-51DA-4E33-9463-25D09D419EA8.jpeg

• Like 2

I haven't been able to see a T7 in the flesh yet, are those tiedown bolts on either side of the rear seat?  If so I could just lash a small kit there with occy straps

10 hours ago, williestreet said:

Tubes and compressor in my Mojave bags, some tools under the rear seat and I fitted a Kappa toolbox for the rest of my tools.

14CD5495-51DA-4E33-9463-25D09D419EA8.jpeg

almost looks like it belongs there with that shape. Have you use a mounting bracket on the inside as well? or just the one mount on the outside shown here?

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings