Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Gore-Tex Adventure Wear

Shneor

Hello All,

What Gore-Tex Jackets and Pants do you recommend on? For ADVENTURE riding. i.e. 50% road/off-road riding.

Want to have (or understand why not)

• Thermal inside for cold weather
  • Ventilation for hot weather
  • Not Klim (I know it is the best, but looking for something more afordable)
  • Jacket - Long cut to cover waist area and arms.
  • Pants - High cut to cover waist area

Today I have the Clover HP jacket which is great. But it is not Gore-Tex and the cut is low.

Klim Baja pants which is great. But too ventilated for the winter and not Gore-Tex.

Cheers!

I used to own the Revit Defender, and liked it a lot. After an unplanned rapid dismount and close inspection of the road surface in Kazachstan the damage was still more or less optical. Great ventilation too. It's still expensive though. I now switched to the Sand 3, which is good for the price point and more affordable (no groeten, but own brand liner).

I saw the Sand-3 and now also the Sand-4 and they look great. But not gore-tex but have internal waterproof liner. 

The defender is pretty old and not produced anymore.

REV'IT! POSEIDON 2 GTX JACKET && REV'IT! NEPTUNE 2 GTX JACKET are the successor in gore-tex, but they are more of a touring style than adventure.

Cheers!

Klim, but if that's not an option: The Revit laminated GTX jackets or Rukka laminated GTX have similar perfomance/quality. Same price category as well though.

The Revit Sand is a really nice jacket for warm weather riding or the occasional short drizzle. The problem with the removable liner though is that your outer layer eventually gets saturated with water (it only has a water resistant coating) and then you start to feel the wind chill. The inner liner still keeps you dry, but you're cold. And the outer layer takes a while to dry again after the rain has stopped.

I still use my Sand suit for a day of trail riding in nice weather, but for travel and rides in less then ideal weather I go for my Klim gear every time. The only alternative I would consider is putting a dedicated rain suit over the Sand.

Edited by duibhceK
  • Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

22 minutes ago, duibhceK said:

... The problem with the removable liner though is that your outer layer eventually gets saturated with water (it only has a water resistant coating) and then you start to feel the wind chill. The inner liner still keeps you dry, but you're cold. And the outer layer takes a while to dry again after the rain has stopped.

Yup, that's why I am after a Gore-Tex jacket and pants.

Klim is an option eventually, just wonder what is out there which can replace it for cheaper price, but not compromise the performance.

BTW, what Klim are you using? As they have  many models and options...

Cheers!

6 minutes ago, Shneor said:

BTW, what Klim are you using? As they have  many models and options...

I have an older version of the Latitude. Been using it for 6 years now and still very happy with it.

My wife has the ladies' Altitude suit. She had a leak at the zippers on the arms. Jacket was replaced without question or hassle.

• Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

I find GTX gear too warm for the summer, so I use a mesh jacket (Klim Marrakesh) as my riding jacket. If its raining I have rain gear, if its cold I add layers underneath (down jacket and a windbreaker). For summer I ride in the jacket only which is perfect.

A mesh/summer jacket can be found cheap, and rain pullover is also very cheap. A fleece with windbreaker underneath for those cold mornings are also not expensive.

The Marrakesh jacket is not cheap, but I went for it because of its excellent abrasion resistance.

Not what you asked for, but hope its helpful 🙂

Edited by JayD
  • Like 1

Hit up AdvRider and the FleaMarket section. I’ve scored huge deals there. 

I’m gonna say Klim but that’s due to fit. Every Klim piece I’ve ever bought fits perfectly for my body. I didn’t like the cut of Rev’It jackets or pants. Absolutely love Rukka gear and have a summer AirAll jacket but their pants seem o be made for people 6 feet or taller. Even their Short lengths put knee pad pockets fully below my knees.

I got my Badlands Pro jacket off AdvRider for just $250 bucks 5 years ago and still wearing it. Matching pants I got from RevZilla or RMATV on clearance shortly afterwards for 60% off. Sidi boots look a European sellers for 35-45% off USA pricing. 

When I need to replace this setup I’ll most likely just order brand new jacket and pants. 

I'm looking around at jacket options myself.  I'd be willing to pay for Klim but I don't care for the boxy/loose cuts on my body.  I definitely prefer the more tapered fit of the Euro brands.  I'm hoping that Rev'it brings out their Defender replacement this year.  

I have some Rukka stuff that I love (I feel like their quality reigns over all) but they haven't produced a multi-season ADV jacket that I really like.  I agree with Adrenolin that the pants are made for taller folks, but I find that my Alpinestars Toucan boots end up pushing the knee pads up to the perfect position (uses the oversized XTR pads).  

• Like 1

I just broke down and ordered (today) what I'd swear I'd never order - a Klim jacket. I live in the north and last summer I did a lot of riding in rain and cold with a jacket that had an inner lining rain jacket thing. If you want to freeze and go hypothermic that is the ticket! I ended up wearing a big old gortex jacket over the top and cheap rain paints over my riding pants. Great system when it was pissing rain, but not so great when the sun came out and I'd have to pull over and take everything off, then a half hour later put it all back on when the rain came again. Did a lot of research and "consensus thinking, like in Climate Change" 🤣 always seem to point to Klim - DAMN! So just ordered a Klim Latitude jacket in XL. I probably should have ordered a L (I'm 6'2", but I want room to put on layers when it gets cold. I also don't mind a roomier jacket flopping in the wind.

Klim is expensive, but on a long journey that $300-$400 upgrade price will probably seem like money well spent when weather goes to hell.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toei said:

I have some Rukka stuff that I love (I feel like their quality reigns over all) but they haven't produced a multi-season ADV jacket that I really like.

I found this jacket interesting.

Need to find where I can try it on though.

4 hours ago, YukonPete said:

Great system when it was pissing rain, but not so great when the sun came out and I'd have to pull over and take everything off, then a half hour later put it all back on when the rain came again. 

That's the reason for Gore-Tex. 

BTW, What Klim did you order?

37 minutes ago, Shneor said:

That's the reason for Gore-Tex. 

BTW, What Klim did you order?

Ordered a Klim Latitude. I struggled with the idea of going all-in with the Badlands Pro (expensive - yikes!), but luckily they were all sold out everywhere! I'm 6'2" and have taken a chance on an XL size. I live up north so need room to layer when it gets cold. So hopefully this jacket won't be a tent flapping in the wind!

• Like 1

I went with an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. I had crummy/crappy stuff my whole life so I splurged at 62 years old! Not insulated, more of a shell. It is pretty stiff (new) and armor in the elbow and shoulders. I will let you know how it performs.... If I ever get my stink'n bike!!!

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Shneor said:

I found this jacket interesting.

Need to find where I can try it on though.

I was looking at that one.  I suspect that it carries over the 150D polyester from the ROR jacket.  The fact that it only gets a CE B garment rating reinforces my belief.  I wouldn't trust myself not to shred it the first time wearing it off-road.  

I have been using Rukka GTX for years, now I have a Rimo-R. Good choice and works from -5 degrees to +30 degrees, waterproof and lots of ventilation zipper. In cold weather, I wear a separate thermal suit under Rukka.

• Like 1

I wear Rev'it Poseidon Jacket and Pants! Love it! Warm in Winter, Waterproof and Vents well enough for 80 degree days! Tested Waterproofness on a 7 day ride! Rode from Reno To Medford Oregon in a driving rain storm! I was Dry as a bone!

• Like 1

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

Save thousands by buying Military Gortex at a Surplus store and wear it over armored mesh shirt, shorts, and combo knee/shin pads when the weather isn't perfect.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

@Shneor

Goretex is no longer the top standard in waterproof gear. Event material is more waterproof than Goretex and also breaths better.

@Mosko_Moto makes some outstanding gear and their Basilisk Jacket is amazing. It's waterproof to 30,000mm on the water column (100 feet of water pressure), with an MVTR of 10,000 g/m/d, .06cfm air permeability, and DWR. It's the only waterproof moto jacket on the market that also has air permeability, plus it has the highest waterproof ratings of any moto jacket Iv'e ever seen. These guys test the living hell out of their products, they all ride like crazy.

mosko-moto-apparel-basilisk-jacket-v1-2-

Refined for our second round of production, the Basilisk is our waterproof/breathable enduro-touring kit, for long-distance, multi-day trips through primarily off-road terrain. It combines super-premium materials with...

I know you said not Klim, but I gotta take a sec and plug my Klim Carlsbad jacket. The 2020 upgrade made a ton of improvements and I absolutely love mine. Lighter weight than the Badlands jacket, so better in the summertime. But I also wear it in 40- 50 degree weather and its fine. I have worn this in hot weather as well with all the vents open and it breathes very well when moving. And it truly is waterproof and dry in the rain.  

klim_carlsbad_jacket_stealth_black.jpg

The Carlsbad Jacket is aimed at serious riders needing highly mobile, highly vented and bulk-minimized adventure gear – all while maintaining Klim's h…

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Dainese D-Explorer 2, which has goretex and is not klim. I'll report back to the forum in a seperate thread after wearing it for a few hours. Until now, I can only say: it looks nice and feels well. 

Edited by qInvention
  • Like 1

I had an Aerostich Darien but I didn't like it. There was no problem with functionality but as stated above it was very stiff; I felt like a fireman in that thing. I then moved to a Klim Latitude which is their 'touring' model and I like it. I've ridden with it in the rain and had no leakage; I've also ridden it in hot weather and it vents well. It is also much more supple than the Aero.

I also have a Klim Induction mesh jacket which I always wear in hot weather if there's no chance of rain. It naturally flows a lot of air and I like it a lot.

I recently bought a Klim Badlands Pro directly from Klim via e-bay and saved nearly $400. It's still expensive but nowhere near the regular price. I haven't used it a lot yet but so far I like it too. I feel this coat is nearly bulletproof and I feel quite safe wrapped up in it. One caveat though; this coat is noticeably heavier than the Latitude. I feel it when I pick it up but it's not so noticeable while riding.

Overall I really like Klim gear and although expensive this is a case of actually getting what you pay for. I value my hide more than my money. One final note: for some inexplicable reason each of my coats fits tighter or looser than the others and they're all a size large. There seems to be no consistency in their sizing across the different models. My advice is to go to a dealer and try one on rather than mail ordering.

Edited by Tenererian
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 6:09 AM, Cruizin said:

@Shneor

Goretex is no longer the top standard in waterproof gear. Event material is more waterproof than Goretex and also breaths better.

@Mosko_Moto makes some outstanding gear and their Basilisk Jacket is amazing. It's waterproof to 30,000mm on the water column (100 feet of water pressure), with an MVTR of 10,000 g/m/d, .06cfm air permeability, and DWR. It's the only waterproof moto jacket on the market that also has air permeability, plus it has the highest waterproof ratings of any moto jacket Iv'e ever seen. These guys test the living hell out of their products, they all ride like crazy.

Interesting!
Thanks for the reference.

Not GoreTex but I've been using the Alpinestars Andes Pro jacket and Alpinestars Raider pants.  I found the jacket on a nice discount so it was a good value for me.  I went with Raider pants instead of Andes pants as they were less bulky.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went for a test ride wearing my new Klim Latitude jacket. NICE. I'm 6'2'' and about 200 lbs (should be 185 lb! 😆) and got a large. Initially I got an XL as I wanted to have room for layers -- being that I live in the north. But when it arrived it was to large. Shoulder and elbow protection all slid to the wrong places and arm length was ridiculous. So sent it back and got a large. Large fits me really good. Arm length is generous and torso length is good. Chest is pretty good, but a little snug with all my layers on, but probably right on.  I don't have a big chest, so if you do I don't know if this jacket would work. I rode tonight with thin pile jacket and a small down coat. I think there is also room enough for my down vest which I wear between my pile jacket and down coat when it gets below 5C.

In regards to sizing it is like Klim is missing a size between L and XL. XL is really 2XL- and L is L-. Quality and look of the jacket is awesome. Way better than I expected. By far away the highest quality jacket I have ever owned. Considering how our weather in the north has gone to hell in the summer (cold and rainy) this jacket will be a good addition to my kit. Also looks really good.

• Like 2