Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 3D printed Rubber Pads

TheFirePT

Hey guys First post here, normally i just look at other peoples posts but this time i came to show 3D printed TPU pads i Designed and printed for my bike, just did it for the project and for fun, but came better than i was expecting.
For sure i will be using them 😄
Will share the files, so if anyone have a 3d printer and would like to have some fun printing, go ahead haha 🙂

If anyone wants the STLs i published them on here:

featured_preview_Large_Pad_for_RIGHT_Sid

side protection pads for a yamaha tenere 700, similar looking to the original but not 100% same measures or letter fonts. just made it to learn to print TPU, and it was a fun project. will still use them on the tenere, since it came out...

Foto Principal.jpg

segunda foto.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@didier Usualy i print flexible stuff with  the so called "NinijaFlex" from Ninja Tek or with the "Flex" from 3D ware. They are both very good materials, super flexible but not as grippy as normal rubber.

Those look pretty neat. My bike came with the Yamaha ones pre-installed, but if that weren't the case, I would definitely give these a go. I'm curious as to how they will hold up with extensive use.

For additional grip on 3D printed surfaces, I usually resort to using the "Fuzzy skin" slicer setting. But I don't think any slicer supports that for the top layer yet, so it would not make much difference in this design.

Making a grid of smaller domed bumps similar to stomp grip pads might also work. Do you have a step or f3d file you're willing to share?

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Hello guys
@didier It was printed with a harder TPU, well with jeans it grips alot better than with the nice finish plastic the bike cames with, and im using more to protect it from my knee protectors too 🙂
@duibhceK the tpu seems strong enough endure some abuse but i cant be sure about it, probably price wise the aliexpress ones seems cheap and good looking but i made them for fun, but now will be using them anyways because i like it and it was made by me haha 🙂 how i can share the F3d files here? its not supported, maybe google drive and posting the link here?

I just made a hinge (i think its that the word in english) for the fuel cap with 3d printed parts too, plug and play with double sided tape.
just doing now the finishing touches and such to then double side tape it and give it a try.

probably then will upload them here and on thingiverse too i hope 🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheFirePT said:

@duibhceK try if you can download 

Thanks for the file! Now to add it to my list of stuff for the bike I'd like to (re)design 😅

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

10 hours ago, TheFirePT said:

I just made a hinge (i think its that the word in english) for the fuel cap with 3d printed parts too, plug and play with double sided tape.
just doing now the finishing touches and such to then double side tape it and give it a try.

probably then will upload them here and on thingiverse too i hope 🙂

Looking forward to this one!

Making progress, just want to make ir a little more compact on height, Theres Room for it :)

IMG_20210702_081556.jpg

IMG_20210702_081550.jpg

IMG_20210702_081546.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Hobes to the tank, double sided tape, to the cap just press fitted in 2 squares

Edited by TheFirePT
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, duibhceK said:

Making a grid of smaller domed bumps similar to stomp grip pads might also work. Do you have a step or f3d file you're willing to share?

Just opened the model and this was my first idea too. Will probably make bumped model today or tomorrow. 

• Like 2

My take on the subject. Thinner than the original version also not huge fan of emblems so got rid of the Yamaha text. I'll print it tomorrow to see that it actually prints and that it works as expected.

Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 23.54.41.png

• Like 2

@Hobes nice pattern too, maybe will be cool on the bike, and grip more hehe

On 7/2/2021 at 11:28 AM, TheFirePT said:

Making progress, just want to make ir a little more compact on height, Theres Room for it 🙂

IMG_20210702_081550.jpg

I'm also very interested if/when you decide to publish. 

• Like 1

2020 Yamaha XTZ700 TĂŠnĂŠrĂŠ
2011 Yamaha XT660Z ABS TÊnÊrÊ [Sold], 1994 Yamaha XTZ750 Super TÊnÊrÊ [Sold], 1988 Yamaha XT600Z TÊnÊrÊ  [Sold]

I'm going to add this to my things to print folder. 

We should make a 3d printed parts  post so as we get files made and finalized we can post them in one spot. I've got frame plugs and a version of the antivibration bracket I could post in there.

Edited by ClutchXT
  • Like 4

@majland will publish it when i get to a version that like and at least works fine too hehe, atm i have done the hinge less tall, and got the contact patch larger to stick them better to the fairing, i printed in PLA so the heat made it stick out of the squares that i use to fix it on the cap, when i do the final part i will try with PETG so it doesnt alter the dimensions.
i am trying to get to the best design for smoothest operation, since the hinge needs to elevate first, and then rotate, i cant make a single point to rotate or it doesnt open and close properly, at least i cant make it that way till now but still experimenting.

But the version i have ATM is functional.

@ClutchXT Agreed, i could post this on there too.

• Like 1

Got an ultimaker 3 at work, and just printed an adapter for my zumo 39x. Just in PLA to see if the design i found online would work but also has CPE+ that i will use if it is gonna be a permanent solution

• Like 1

2020 Yamaha XTZ700 TĂŠnĂŠrĂŠ
2011 Yamaha XT660Z ABS TÊnÊrÊ [Sold], 1994 Yamaha XTZ750 Super TÊnÊrÊ [Sold], 1988 Yamaha XT600Z TÊnÊrÊ  [Sold]

Making progress, Will make 2 versions 1 that snaps on the cap, and One that double sided tapes on the cap 🙂

this One works smoother than the first i made.

IMG_20210708_220829.jpg

IMG_20210708_220756.jpg

IMG_20210708_220823.jpg

• Like 5

well the first upload of the hinge is done 🙂, i would apreciate if someone with a 3d printer on hand could print and test it, and give me some feedback so i could be at peace it works for others as well...

i posted it on the @ClutchXT Post of the 3d printed parts list as linked above, so more ppl can see the rest of the designs of 3d printed parts too.

photo_2021-07-12_21-55-39.jpg

I'm going to have my printer running tonight I'll have a go at it if my other print goes fast

• Like 1

Nice model , Came out good I. Was afraid that it felt a bit thin and flexible on the connecting points between the push in blocks but once I popped it into the fuel cap she was good . I ran it at .2 layer height and 50mm/s on PETG slowing it down would have gave me smoother details, one thing I might have done/do is add a little more thickness to the base where the 3m adhesive goes she feels a bit thin but we'll see if I have any issues I doubt that I will 

20210716_103231.jpg

20210716_150135.jpg

20210716_150145.jpg

• Like 5