Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

RideADV rear racks

MikeCMP

Update: I RideADV offered to replace the racks no questions seeing as there was a problem with the jig for the racks - once they have that correct I see no problem ordering them, they are just what I wanted. Even though they offered to replace them I still would have just fixed them myself since I could, and no reason for them to mail another set across the world. 

They are a stand up crew and the racks are super strong. Will post a pic of them all on the bike, plus the luggage. they are nice and tight in just like I wanted, AND clear the camel tank no problem, which I really appreciate.

Original post:

Hello all,

I recently sold my rackless luggage and bought myself some mosko BC35's, and the Outback Motortrek racks, but I remembered that RideADV had made a set of narrower racks for their bikes. They were expensive, but I got in contact with them to order a set, along with an extra set of spacers I could modify to make them fit with my SW Motech top rack as well. 

Now one thing I did not realize from watching the video was that there are only spacers on the rear mounting point, not a problem if you are not using a top rack. 

I removed my OM pannier racks and started to mount these up. I immediate ran into problems. The right side rack I could get to fit, but not with my steg pegz, and that was only by forcing it into position. The Left side was so far off there was no way to make it fit at all.  Here is a picture to show how far off it is, with the pillion bracket bolted up only. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_173d.thumb.jpg.00d49f8aee123eabc12da2a4bbe23e6a.jpg

To actually get these to fit required cutting and welding. The front mount points are a weird design but I was able to cut them down to fit, and I cut down the rear spacers as well to work with my top rack. Then, I completely cut off the pillion peg brackets and bolted everything up to the bie. I tack welded the pillion brackets on the bike, then final welded them off the bike. Little paint and they fit.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1745.thumb.jpg.adc643aed661570e2bc863a06edc0f8f.jpg

Here it is welded. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_173b.thumb.jpg.c987d201ddcb61d4de2ded8533c9d329.jpg

After the mods these racks are pretty strong, I like them, just not delighted I had to spend hours test fitting and welding them.

Mike

Edited by MikeCMP
updated after hearing back from vendor
  • Like 1

• MikeCMP changed the title to RideADV rear racks

Hey @MikeCMPI too just recently got the RideADV racks (had them sent via my sister in Sydney) I found that the holes in the passenger foot peg bracket were off approx 1/8" so I filed the holes bigger towards the front of the bike to get them to fit to reduce stress on the racks frame. Also the left bracket was not parallel to the bike frame holes, but tightening the 8mm bolt brought it into place.

You are right they are solid rack though.

20210723_121948.jpg

Edited by Bighopper
Added Image, I also whish they had an option for the rightside to be the same as the left to allow for closer in exhaust.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bighopper said:

Hey @MikeCMPI too just recently got the RideADV racks (had them sent via my sister in Sydney) I found that the holes in the passenger foot peg bracket were off approx 1/8" so I filed the holes bigger towards the front of the bike to get them to fit to reduce stress on the racks frame. Also the left bracket was not parallel to the bike frame holes, but tightening the 8mm bolt brought it into place.

You are right they are solid rack though.

20210723_121948.jpg

yeah I did not realize they were offset a bit till just today actually. I thought they were a little different but did not actually put it together that the one is a little farther out b/c of the exhaust.

To be fair, I doubt almost any manufacturer is going to make a different rack for the tucked exhaust, it's a small niche of a niche market already 🙂

I wish I had thought a little mo though, I might have tried to pull the right side in more.

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@MikeCMP @Bighopperor others with experience in this fitment:

I've ordered the RideADV racks for my bike to replace the RR Soft luggage racks I've got in place. I had some BC35's on a DR650 I sold when I bought the T7. Due to the width of fitting pannier racks and the BC35's on the T7 with other pannier racks I tried to go with the Reckless 80's, but I just don't like them as much as panniers. Perhaps the RideADV racks are narrow enough?

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully fitted the Mosko BC35's to the RideADV rack. Sounds like the racks are a bit wider on the exhaust side. Would the BC25 at 2" narrower make the panniers symmetrical on the bike?

Thanks for any info.

2 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

I've ordered the RideADV racks for my bike to replace the RR Soft luggage racks I've got in place. I had some BC35's on a DR650 I sold when I bought the T7. Due to the width of fitting pannier racks and the BC35's on the T7 with other pannier racks I tried to go with the Reckless 80's, but I just don't like them as much as panniers. Perhaps the RideADV racks are narrow enough?

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully fitted the Mosko BC35's to the RideADV rack. Sounds like the racks are a bit wider on the exhaust side. Would the BC25 at 2" narrower make the panniers symmetrical on the bike?

Thanks for any info.

I have BC35's on these racks. Here are some photo's. Let me know if that helps. the ones with the duffle are me loaded up for 1.5 weeks for the NEBDR trip I am doing in mid september. Was practicing loading it up.  I could get some other pictures if you wanted.

Mike

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_176f.thumb.jpg.19053c1b02f365f2237dc71e984a100c.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1771.thumb.jpg.5a1544dc5117be3560089981fa9349ec.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1755.thumb.jpg.6d7977c545d4dfb8e8b83bcee0fceb42.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1770.thumb.jpg.08f0ee8d143baf587325197d3e174d84.jpg

39 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

Thanks for any info.

Sorry @Desert Mariner I have these on my T7 & pics at .....hope this helps.

turkana-hippohips-saddlebags.jpg

A double-layered saddlebag system that can handle rough handling and exposure. Inner removable IP66 waterproof/dustproof liners keep stuff dry and dust free.

Thank you @MikeCMPand @Bighopper!

I really appreciated the rapid responses given how fast the MM stuff is selling out! The pictures really helped out in making my decision. Keeping the bike as narrow as possible with side panniers is a priority for me.

I ordered a couple of BC25's with 4, 4l Aux Pockets. Based on my previous experiences packing BC35's on my DR650, 25's will work out fine given that I'll be adding a tank bag and dry bags on my crash bars for better weight distribution. 

Mike - Would it have been possible for you to mount the pannier plates farther forward without interfering with your position sitting or standing? I know that interference with the centerpiece on the racks likely required you to mount the plate just behind it.

Thanks,

Dave

2 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

Thank you @MikeCMPand @Bighopper!

I really appreciated the rapid responses given how fast the MM stuff is selling out! The pictures really helped out in making my decision. Keeping the bike as narrow as possible with side panniers is a priority for me.

I ordered a couple of BC25's with 4, 4l Aux Pockets. Based on my previous experiences packing BC35's on my DR650, 25's will work out fine given that I'll be adding a tank bag and dry bags on my crash bars for better weight distribution. 

Mike - Would it have been possible for you to mount the pannier plates farther forward without interfering with your position sitting or standing? I know that interference with the centerpiece on the racks likely required you to mount the plate just behind it.

Thanks,

Dave

I probably could have mounted them more forward, but chose not to, they could get pushed up a bit they would. It interfere with my legs till the were closer to the step pegz. With them being farther forward, I just thought I was odd, I would drop my hand to the side and hit a bag 😀

I also happened to have the larger blue clamps from the gent I bought the setup from, you can probably mount it up easily without them, but just letting you know. If you run into a spot you can’t get a clamp, you will be able to line up one of the Mosko slots with one of the holes in the center of the rack, then you can supply your own washer and screw and bolt to mount it that way.  

yeah Mosko is doing good business there, good for them, this will be the first trip with the backcountry panniers but I like them a lot already, just feels easier to get into them for stuff than the rackless setup.

Mike

Thanks for the extra clarification, Mike. 

I'll mount the panniers as far forward as I can get them, and will post pics of the final solution. I'm going to do everything I can to keep the weight centered and low. There were a few times touring both offroad and in traffic on the DR650 with BC35's when the bike felt wider than I would have liked, with the weight too far back and too high. I suppose BC35's would keep more weight off the seat with more gear in the panniers, but I reckon I'll put everything that's remotely heavy into the panniers and the crashbar bags to meet my goal of keeping the bike narrow with the BC25's. 

Dave

Could I ask what you prefer about the panniers versus the rackless systems from Mokso?

Currently going back and forth between the two and looking at the RideADV racks if I go with panniers.

34 minutes ago, Nhil said:

Could I ask what you prefer about the panniers versus the rackless systems from Mokso?

Currently going back and forth between the two and looking at the RideADV racks if I go with panniers.

The rackless was alright, it worked, but I had hard bags before, and the panniers felts more natural. I also like how much easier it is to get into them. 

With the r80, I could just open the harnesses, pull out the dry bag with my tent and stuff, set it up,  and throw the other dry bag with my clothes and other stuff right in the tent. Was convenient. I didn’t feel they had enough space, mostly bc of the shape of the holster bags being so long and narrow. They worked well with the rally raid racks too. I thought that the harness straps were hard to get quite right on the legs, since the t7 is a shorter bike, and I mounted the r80 in front of my rear rack. So the leg straps were really close to the tie points on the rally raid, or really close to the pillion pegs. 

I managed to sell the r80 for more than I paid for it, as I got it on sale, and bought my buddies backcountry panniers. I like the easy on and off mounts, the r80 took a while to get on and off, especially if I had stuff on the rear rack. I also like the double pouches on the backcountry panniers. And, contrary to what folks say, they are pretty quick to get into, three straps and that’s it. 

I also like that if I need to lock the panniers it is a bit easier to accomplish.

either is good, the r80 is a lot lighter, which might matter to you, and narrower.

Hope that helps,

Mike

14 hours ago, Nhil said:

I've been playing around with moto luggage systems for a few years now. I've had soft, throw over bags on two bikes, hard cases on 3 bikes, 20K miles of on and off-road touring with the BC35's, lots of day rides with the Reckless 10 on the T7.  I have fitted the Reckless 80 on the T7, but haven't actually used it. It fits really well with the Rally Raid soft luggage racks. It's the narrowest system out there and really seems made for the T7. The bike also still really looks good without any luggage on board with the RR racks or with the R10 - unlike the bare mounting system of the BC35.

BC35 

pro's - It looks like the RideADV racks are compatible with both the Camel Tank and the high pipe. The Rally Raid system at least needs to be adapted to make that happen. I'd much rather live out of a pannier day to day. You have to be a bit more organized to use drybags. If you are not, you'll find yourself unpacking to get to an item in the bottom of a bag - and of course, that will be on the side of the road in the rain! Panniers are perfect for commuting, grocery getting and just tossing stuff into for a day ride. I used my BC35's on a DR650 for several tours and I loved the versatility - if I chose to basecamp somewhere, I'd use the panniers for day runs to get groceries and water. I've used the BC35 panniers loaded with ice to transport beer and they work great for carrying weird loads like a watermelon! Really - they were a perfect system on the DR and I'm sure they'll be pretty good on the T7 except that . . . 

con's - the full system of racks and bags are pretty heavy for a mid displacement bike. On the T7, they'll make the bike wider than I prefer (I'm going with BC25's because of this.). The Ride ADV racks require that you give up the option of carrying a passenger. The RideADV racks were designed for throw-over panniers and the capability to carry fuel and water in rotopax. With the BC35 mounting system you'll give up that capability to keep fuel and water weight low in a rotopax, though fuel and water could be carried in other ways like the Camel tank and the side pockets in the panniers. I'll be experimenting with carrying gear on the crash bars - likely water - as that's the limiting factor for moto camping here in the Southwest US.

R80's

pro's - lighter weight - can be used with no rack system at all. As narrow a set up as you'll get on a T7. The whole system can be removed relatively easily leaving the sleek lines of the T7 intact. Can be used with RR Soft Luggage Rack mounts for rotopax for fuel and water. The bike can still be easily used with a passenger when the R80 system is removed. Carrying lightweight dry bags into your hotel or tent is easier than the much heavier and bulkier BC35 panniers.

con's - I just can't see myself living day to day with the R80's. I don't want to be living out of a dry bag when I'm commuting. That will mean another expensive purchase of some sort of small throw over panniers for me - or using a backpack, top box or tail bag. Dry bags require more thoughtful packing. I really like the beaver tails on the outside of the BC35's - they really are perfect for wet stuff, shoes and garbage that I'd rather not have in a pannier.

Hope that's all helpful. It was helpful to me! I've decided I'm going to keep my R80 set up and try it back to back on tours this fall comparing them with the BC25 panniers!

Dave

Edited by Desert Mariner

B&B compact tail rack is what I’ve got on the bike now. It’s sturdy and will accommodate the luggage I use. RideADV have confirmed the fit. Waiting for the racks to arrive.

The RideADV folks created this rack with the intention of keeping weight low and centered. I’ll be following their lead after years of tolerating crappy handling off road due to too much weight up high.

• 3 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 1:58 AM, Desert Mariner said:

B&B compact tail rack is what I’ve got on the bike now. It’s sturdy and will accommodate the luggage I use. RideADV have confirmed the fit. Waiting for the racks to arrive.

The RideADV folks created this rack with the intention of keeping weight low and centered. I’ll be following their lead after years of tolerating crappy handling off road due to too much weight up high.

Hello, where to order this racks? I cant find them on ride adv.

4 hours ago, Rune Johansen said:

Hello, where to order this racks? I cant find them on ride adv.

info@rideadv.com.au is the only way to communicate with them.

1 hour ago, Bighopper said:

info@rideadv.com.au is the only way to communicate with them.

Thank you for the info

• 5 months later...

UPDATE

I put a few thousand miles and a couple of short trips to Baja Sur, MX on the Mosko Moto R80 bags with the Rally Raid soft luggage racks. The set up was streamlined and relatively lightweight - pretty much perfect for this bike, but I didn't enjoy living out of the drybags. I've done thousands of miles living out of drybags as a sea kayaking guide, but I just don't appreciate it on the road. The MM R80 system was too faffy for my tastes. Also,  I travel on my T7 to work contracts that have me on the road for a month at a time, and I need a bit more capacity. Still the R80/RR soft luggage racks are pretty nice:

IMG_0545.jpeg.092cd9fb9dc92bb536fdc032d863169e.jpegIMG_0548.jpeg.353a81836370177ecfe7d120adbb24b5.jpeg

I've finally had a chance to install the RIDEADV racks and MM BC35's on the T7. (I returned the BC25's I mentioned in an earlier post) . I'd done about 20k miles with BC35's on a DR650 and I loved those packs. When I got the T7, all of the racks I saw would make the bike too wide for my tastes with BC35's. With the RIDEADV racks, and the MM BC35's positioned in the middle and low on the racks, the panniers are about the same width as the stock handlebars (36 inches) and just forward of the rear axle. I tested the system out this weekend on a 200 mile ride, including low and high speed maneuvers, gravel roads, etc. I think the bike looks and handles great. 

The RIDEADV racks were relatively simple to install, although the tolerances were tight. I followed RIDEADV's video instructions to the letter. I had to make a simple backing plates to work around the rotopax mounting plate in the center of the RIDEADV racks. I also had to give up my B&B grab handles that made the bike so much easier to put on the centerstand. I've got long legs and big feet, but I don't find that the panniers are in the way mounted as far forward as they are. Of course, there's no room for a passenger with this set up. Here's the final product:

IMG_0862.jpeg.dc33bec1622ca5fd4981562559a042b6.jpegIMG_0863.jpeg.e3b2892a07d4479210c9797fc70a473e.jpegIMG_0864.jpeg.7a8b5c7aecd01b5e96f96b912872d0ff.jpegIMG_0865.jpeg.448879072be06f5f223eb227d74e1331.jpegIMG_0866.jpeg.652b759ab176783fdcba3cb191c06a91.jpegIMG_0867.jpeg.0aed2d6deb4093e3dc14fa46a84f123b.jpeg

• Like 2

Had a similar experience with the Reckless 80, I really liked it, in fact o get my camp set up it was pretty slick i had all the inside tent stuff in its own leg bag so just take it off the bike throw in the tent. But the day-to-day use of it was kinda irritating as you said. I like to be able to get into the pannier for something, and not have to unpack it or use a flashlight to see where I buried it in a holster bag. I sold the R80 and bought a friends set of good condition used BC35's

The Ride ADV racks are still working out great for me, the bags feel a little close in to the back of my legs off road but thats better than hanging way the hell off the back of the bike I suppose. Seem strong as well, i had a real bad crash on the NEBDR where i fractured my ankle and the bike landed on the pannier directly, nothing was damaged at all. I had a thread where I described my trials with the racks, mine were not built to good tolerances at all, I had to cut and weld them, which was ok b/c I was also adjusting them to work with my rear rack. but even if I was not there would have been no way they would have mounted up to the bike.

They work well with the camel tank and with a high exhaust. They're about perfect for what I need. My duaghter would say the opposite since there are now no passenger pegs so she can't go for a ride as easily 🙂

Mike

@MikeCMP Sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you are all healed up.

I was a little worried that the panniers weren't going to work without mounting them farther back. I'm happy to report that they actually don't affect my standing position at all, even mounted right in the middle of the rack. They do bump into my legs when my feet are off the pegs when moving the bike with my feet, but I get my feet on the pegs pretty fast as soon as the bike is moving, so it's a minor issue. I did notice that you have pockets in the front and rear of the panniers. I've got a set of the 4l molle pouches that I still need to mount on the front. We'll see if that affects my legs.

Yesterday, I moved the panniers up a bit farther, so there wouldn't be as much of the mounting plate below the rack. I was concerned that the length of the mounting plate below the pannier frame would exert too much leverage on the mounts and racks in a fall. I do like having bags hanging lower and as far forward as possible. One of issue with my old DR650 was that the bike was pretty unstable and with a full touring load off road and at hwy speeds because the weight was relatively high and back. I'm trying to keep the panniers as low as possible and will pack the heavy stuff as low as possible. I've got a set of 

Mounting the racks wasn't too hard, but there was a moment when I thought they might not fit. 

I think my wife is silently disappointed as well. She does like to ride with me, and it's not possible with this set up.

Dave

• Like 1

Yeah the pockets might make a bit of a difference. Setup is pretty nice though I do like it. 

Yeah healed up just fine, turns out dropping a T7 on your leg means your leg loses. Had an avulsion fracture. Just need to learn to ride better is all. 

I also get my feet on the pegs ASAP. It drives me nuts watching people drag a foot or dog paddle for 20 feet to get started. As soon as the bike is moving my feet are on the pegs if i can help it. But in cases where I needed to dab, I found I needed the bags a bit farther back. To be honest, even all the way back, they are still much farther forward than on almost any other rack system you are going to get. So I think you will be fine regardless where you run them. 

You must have the newer version of the BC3's - Mine have one set of perm pouches and one set of molle if I remember the new ones allow you to add them front or back. I can't beat the deal I got for them though and I got an extra set of mounting pucks as wel, so i have a set for the other racks I can use if i decide to take my kid on a ride.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I can confirm these are compatable with the HP Corse high mounted exhaust, but you will need to remove the exhaust to fit / remove the racks.

Edited by Akula

• 1 year later...

@MikeCMP Are you still using the rack, how are you liking it? I've been looking at getting one but it's definitely one of the most expensive options. Outback Motortek's is cheaper.

3 minutes ago, Tseven said:

@MikeCMP Are you still using the rack, how are you liking it? I've been looking at getting one but it's definitely one of the most expensive options. Outback Motortek's is cheaper.

depends. When I am doing a bdr or longer serious ride with harder off road expected, I will run them. Day to day I usually run my Outback moto trek racks since my daughter likes to go for a ride and the ride adv racks replace the pillion pegs.

i think the Outback racks are nice, recommend them as well honestly.

after my experience on the WYBDR with my t7 and Mosko luggage I kinda went on a weight purge. I got some Kreiga os bags an a generic holder for my CRF300, and got my entire luggage weight down to like 25 pounds with my tent and food for 4 days. Each Mosko bag weighed 10 pounds empty, plus racks.

they are nice for a road trip though. I did pioneer tje fancy welding job on the rally raid racks to make them work with a camel tank, so I might use those with my Kreiga bags and go nice a light 

sorry for the rambling message!

Mike