Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Headlights Low Beam and High Beam, not working after Denali (datadim) attempt at install.

tom_k

Question

New to forum, so apologies if this has been addressed( I searched and could not find.)

I attempted to use the relay method(https://www.tenere700.net/topic/2139-anybody-successfully-fitted-denali-datadim-20/?tab=comments#comment-23701 )

to install the denali D2 lights with datadim harness.

It did not work , Im sure I did something wrong, no biggie. 

Now Both my low and high beams don't work when bike is started.😬
When Bike is in switched on position my low beams work.

What I have done to troubleshoot:
1:) Disconnected the install of aux lights
2.) Check fuses (none were tripped)
3.) disconnected battery for 10 min (does this reset can-bus fault codes?)

Still Low beam works on key on position, but once bike ignition is on neither High/low work.

Please help!!!

Tom

Update 10-21-2021

installed new ECU and HEADLIGHT is working again!!!! 

Key on = aux driving light on, ignition on =low beam, high beam switch on = low and high on!

if you are running a denali setup, use a rocker switch( IMO  use the data dim/positap method.) I am still using aux three prong for my switched power signal for denali BUT ONLY ONE POWER WIRE for white switch wire.

Edited by tom_k

On 10/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, DuncMan said:

OK. let me know how you get on, please.

Ecu fixed it. 

• Like 1

Key On:
Low beam works /driving light works

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 2.44.03 PM.png

Ignition on:
Low beam doesnt work, High beam doesnt work , 
driving light works

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 2.44.13 PM.png

Edited by tom_k

Replace all the fuses even when they seem to be allright. Over the years I've had some mysterious in electrical problems due to faulty fuse.  Won't be a expensive, if this doesn't help.

• Like 2

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

On 9/27/2021 at 11:56 PM, Totti said:

Replace all the fuses even when they seem to be allright. Over the years I've had some mysterious in electrical problems due to faulty fuse.  Won't be a expensive, if this doesn't help.

I did that, thanks for Suggestion, running through the checklist 😁

5 hours ago, Offcamber said:

If you shut the engine off using the kill switch do the low beams come back on?

No, I have to turn the key off then back on again to get the low beam back on. 

On 9/18/2021 at 11:46 AM, tom_k said:

Key On:
Low beam works /driving light works

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 2.44.03 PM.png

Ignition on:
Low beam doesnt work, High beam doesnt work , 
driving light works

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 2.44.13 PM.png

Normally:

Key on=Driving lights on, DRL on.

Bike running= Low beam on High beam can be switched on.

Shut bike down= Low beam will stay on High beam can be switched on or off.

Turn Key off resets headlight interlock.

I have no idea what you did but it sounds like you fed the headlights 12v when they didn't expect it and fried something.

The Aux light/Driving light gets 12v from the incoming 12v to the headlight unit so you know your Headlight fuse is good...also your Low beam works backwards.

I'm not sure what the bike is using to give the Headlight circuit the "On" signal, but it comes from the ECU and this doesn't sound good.  The headlight assy is a bit of a black box and we can only guess what's going on in there.  In another post someone suspected the actual lights run on 24v and the headlight unit is performing the switching functions based on the switchgear inputs.  From the shop manual the only thing I could find for troubleshooting the headlight, leads fo replacing the headlight unit.

A trip to the dealer may be in order.

J

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

Normally:

I have no idea what you did but it sounds like you fed the headlights 12v when they didn't expect it and fried something.

The Aux light/Driving light gets 12v from the incoming 12v to the headlight unit so you know your Headlight fuse is good...also your Low beam works backwards.

I'm not sure what the bike is using to give the Headlight circuit the "On" signal, but it comes from the ECU and this doesn't sound good.  The headlight assy is a bit of a black box and we can only guess what's going on in there.  In another post someone suspected the actual lights run on 24v and the headlight unit is performing the switching functions based on the switchgear inputs.  From the shop manual the only thing I could find for troubleshooting the headlight, leads fo replacing the headlight unit.

J

I think you are right, I purchased a brand new headlight assembly and same issues. I went to the dealer today and they scanned it, found no faults. They can get me in for diagnosis but at 110$ /hr it could get expensive. Thanks for your input, I’ll keep every one posted. 

7 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

Normally:

J

I hate to say it but I think he is right, this may require a dealer diagnostic. I put the Denalis on mine but did not hook up the Data Dim. I just bought the 3 position switch so I control the brightness manually. 

10 minutes ago, Offcamber said:

I hate to say it but I think he is right, this may require a dealer diagnostic. I put the Denalis on mine but did not hook up the Data Dim. I just bought the 3 position switch so I control the brightness manually. 

Yeah tapping the bright and using that relay really screwed me, oh well at least I have the Denali lights. Daytime riding it is! 

2 hours ago, tom_k said:

Yeah tapping the bright and using that relay really screwed me, oh well at least I have the Denali lights. Daytime riding it is! 

If you are still wanting to poke around the headlight circuit here's another test you can do.

This guy has a broken Headlight assy...it's probably a loose connection inside the assy as he finds out in pt. 2 but this would give you assumed ok wiring and no issues with the ECU which I fear is where your issue lies.

I will try to confirm these readings on my bike which has no Headlight issues.

From the video:

L/B-Blue Black

Br-Brown

Y-Yellow

Y/B-Yellow Black

Measure voltage with Ignition on ( Key on) bike stopped.  Meter set on DC voltage measurement.  High beam off.

Y/B=Ground so Black lead to Y/B, Red to Br (13.10V)  Should be similar to battery voltage.

Y/B to Y (12.22V)

Y/B to L/B (00.03V)

Engine on.

Y/B=Ground so Black lead to Y/B, Red to Br (13.83V)  Should be similar to battery voltage.

Y/B to Y (12.96V)

Y/B to L/B (-00.34V)

High beam switched on

Y/B to Br (13.9V)

Y/B to Y (0.88V)

Y/B to L/B (00.87V)

• Like 1

Would an OBD 2 reader be helpful in this situation? I’m guessing the bike would throw some codes.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:24 PM, Bmp4510 said:

Would an OBD 2 reader be helpful in this situation? I’m guessing the bike would throw some codes.

Already done, I did it myself and the dealer did it. No codes. 

Update10-11-2021: At Yamaha Dealer, they think it may be the ECU, but they are still diagnosing.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Any update?

Not yet, they are working on it periodically, but I haven't heard from them since Tuesday when I called. They had not started diagnosing with the new hours I had approved...

Long and the short, don't use the wiring schema mentioned in this post with denali data dim. Very expen$ive mistake on my part.

Edited by tom_k
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 12:16 PM, DuncMan said:

I'd love to hear what they find out as I have the exact same problem with mine and can't get it into the dealer until Wednesday next week. 

So update:

heard back from stealership, and they said its the ECU yamaha also tried to blame my lithium iron battery but that was installed after the light problem. 

I ordered a new ecu from bike and bandit but, they told me it might not be here until December, i ordered new control switches as well and factory relays. I will likely return everything that isnt the culprit.

The saga continues. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Dont know why but am not convinced. Will see what mine says this week and report back, mate.

How did it happen on your tenere? 

5 hours ago, DuncMan said:

Installed a light bar and all was perfect. Then tried to insert a switch and something went.

Did you positap/splice into either high or low beam power wires? 

3 hours ago, DuncMan said:

Yes, high beam but that worked perfectly. I then tried to fit a switch a screwed up. 

well My ecu/ecm is on the way so I will keep you posted.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

Thanks! So has yours been diagnosed as ECU?

Thats what they said although they scanned it and couldn’t find a particular fault code. Im going to disconnect everything and start from scratch.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

OK. let me know how you get on, please.

Absolutely if I can save someone else the headache 🤕, thats my goal.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

My case has now been escalated to Yamaha Europe. Likely to take a week or more before we hear back from them. 

Hope you hear back soon, it’s probably the ecu, yamaha blamed it on everything i had on the bike, ot was my fault anyway so i didnt mind paying for a new ecu, all told tge whole thing cost 💲750, which is expensive but not unheard of. 

• Sad 1