Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

The Future T7

RIDER GUIDER

Hi T7eam

What are you all thinking for the future of the model?  Of course I realise some of you are still waiting for your first one and I expect we won't see many radical changes in 2022. 

But what about 2023?  Thoughts from the current owners of what we'd like to see? 

I'm thinking better suspension as standard for the less skinny of owners.

Possibly a more aggressive style giving a bit more of a nod to the original concept. 

Maybe a slightly larger tank as there's unused space currently and having a hinged filler as standard. 

A more up to date dash/clocks arrangement.

Top it off with a proper high rise can and decal kit loud enough to scare the KTM crew - I'd be upgrading.

Neil

Yamaha-T7-concept-3-900x600.jpg

• Like 1

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

Think I'd like to see a Kenny Roberts yellow/black livery.  Always looks ace whatever Yamaha it's on. 

• Like 2

I'd love to have an accurate speedometer.  How about LED turn signals as standard?  Adjustable windshield anyone?  Something a bit better for hand guards too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Landshark said:

I'd love to have an accurate speedometer.  How about LED turn signals as standard?  Adjustable windshield anyone?  Something a bit better for hand guards too.

I agree, but those will all just put the price up.

I've halved my usual spend on a GS and don't expect it to be as well equipped, but yes, have added handguards, led indicators and a few more things. That said, I didn't have to and the stock bike will suit a lot of buyers.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I've just fitted Motoz Tractionator GPS for the commute and spring/summer trails, 112kmh showing on the clock is bang on 100kmh on my GPS!  Definitely room for improvement in regards the speedo - but that's the regular debate as to the reading 10% over.  LED lighting all round for sure yeh.  For me the screen is okay but then I'm 172cm tall/short.  Good point re the handguards, the original levers are vulnerable as standard and have no built in weak/break point in the event of an off.  That's reminded me of my next upgrade - I fancy some trick levers.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just give us one more gallon as a 250 mile range would make me a happy camper!

• Like 7

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, Frisco said:

I think Yam have nailed it on this bike. It’s a lovely platform that can be easily and pretty cheaply modified for the needs of individual owners. It doesn’t make sense for them to make any changes beyond different colors and graphics. I predict two more years of this particular iteration and I’m not complaining!

Exactly my point. It's a damn good bike for the price and sure you can have better bikes for this and that application but I always call it the swiss army knife of bikes; it's good at a lot of things while not being the best at anything. But I don't want the best bike because I'm not the best rider and couldn't put the bike to its limits. And then, you may be able to save some money and fit the upgrades you need for what you want to do - and thatmay not be what everybody else wants to do with it.

• Like 2

I suspect we'll see rider 'aids' like traction control and riding modes and perhaps a new dash design (tft screen perhaps?). I can't see much happening on the suspension front due to cost constraints. As to a larger tank, I'm doubtful - it'll add to the bike's kerb weight which is pretty attractive at present. As competition in the mid size adventure market heats up, we're bound to see some refinements. I like the simplicity of the current Tenere...let's hope it doesn't go down the KTM route in terms of electronic gadgets.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tigerjohn said:

I suspect we'll see rider 'aids' like traction control and riding modes and perhaps a new dash design (tft screen perhaps?). I can't see much happening on the suspension front due to cost constraints. As to a larger tank, I'm doubtful - it'll add to the bike's kerb weight which is pretty attractive at present. As competition in the mid size adventure market heats up, we're bound to see some refinements. I like the simplicity of the current Tenere...let's hope it doesn't go down the KTM route in terms of electronic gadgets.

The lack of gadgetry is one of the reasons I like it too.  Its simplicity compared to the KTM is definitely an appeal. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

How about stainless steel spokes and a redesigned exhaust so it doesn't scratch up the swingarm if you drop it on its right hand side? An easily adjustable screen (like a Multistrada's) would be welcome.

• Like 2

The first 2 are good points but everything easily adjustable is also easily broken.
Honda ruined the AT with gadgets.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 5:49 AM, RIDER GUIDER said:

Hi T7eam

What are you all thinking for the future of the model?  Of course I realise some of you are still waiting for your first one and I expect we won't see many radical changes in 2022. 

But what about 2023?  Thoughts from the current owners of what we'd like to see? 

I'm thinking better suspension as standard for the less skinny of owners.

Possibly a more aggressive style giving a bit more of a nod to the original concept. 

Maybe a slightly larger tank as there's unused space currently and having a hinged filler as standard. 

A more up to date dash/clocks arrangement.

Top it off with a proper high rise can and decal kit loud enough to scare the KTM crew - I'd be upgrading.

Neil

First: KISS, plz.

A problem I have with some of Yamaha's approaches here is to introduce a model that succeeds because it's an excellent entry at a given price point.  The Tenere 700 is an amazing bike, but a huge part of it's amazingness is that it's so good at <10k.  This happened with the Tracer as well, IMHO.  I paid 12.9k Canadian for my 2019 Tracer 900GT at the end of 2019.  Now, the new gen Tracer 9 is 17k Canadian.  It was an outstanding bike for 13k, both because of how capable it is and how there's very little on the market as competition at that price point.  But at 17k?  Now it's knocking on the doors of a much higher class of bikes, and the flaws of the bike (which are entirely reasonable and non-issues on a 13k bike) become points of contention and serious drawbacks as bikes at this level tend to not have such flaws.  Personally, as much as I desperately love my Tracer, I wouldn't recommend a T9GT at 17k.  It's just not that much improved.  It's definitely not worth $4000 more than the previous generation. 

So, back to KISS.  Smaller upgrades please - maybe more sidegrades that don't cost more to fix issues that have been revealed, or more interesting optional upgrades.  Ideally keep the price point low so you're not competing directly with an KTM 890ADV.

What I'd like to see: 

• North American models shipping with suspensions designed for heftier people, as the Average American (and Canadian) rider is nothing at all like The Average Japanese Rider.  Not necessarily better so to speak, but sprung and valved for a heavier set of people.  Say it's to be prepared to take a pillion.
  • Move the exhaust inboard and up.  I smashed up my exhaust inside of a week of owning the bike; it's just poorly placed for a bike that's going to go down.  Even a gentle layover on the right and you're bending the exhaust into the swingarm.
  • Agreed: Definitely a larger tank, but via extending it downwards.  And yeah, hinged filler.  What the heck, Yamaha, it's 2021, you've got RFID keys, but no hinged cap? 
  • Ability to turn off ABS on the rear wheel only, leaving it on for the front.

Really, I think Yamaha could do really well just improving the accessory situation.  These bikes scream for farkles, and sticker kits, crash bar options, lighting and such - there's a huge market there. 

But I really, really want them to keep the price point low, the bike simple, and the price point high.

• Like 5

On 10/5/2021 at 6:21 AM, Landshark said:

I don't see any of this impacting price really.  An adjustable windshield is trivial (see the $12 AliExpress kits), LED lighting isn't more expensive than incandescent - though I have a strong suspicion that the reason we still have these pumpkins is because Yamaha has a huge stock of them they're trying to get rid of.  I expect this to go LED in the coming years as they burn through that stock.  They're the same pumpkins on virtually every bike Yamaha's made in the last few years.  I have a literal box full of them myself after pulling them off 3 bikes 🙂

The speedo is normal, everyone's speedo is off, though usually by around 8%.  Cars, bikes, everything.  12% is a lot, though.   Still, this is a simple programming change (or ABS sensor wheel change), it doesn't actually cost anything at all.

So... yeah.  These aren't price increasing things.  And they're pretty damn reasonable.

• Like 1

I think they should keep it simple, it's what has worked and what has made the t7 what it is. Tweak the suspension, fix the abs sensor/speedometer issue and add perhaps a slightly bigger tank. I'm also pro standardisation op led indicators. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 7:05 PM, Tigerjohn said:

I bought the Yam precisely because of what it didnt have! TC, rider modes, quick shifter, computer this and that etc etc were exactly what I didnt want.

I was brought up with a cable throttle a pair of brakes and a cable clutch and was never let down by any of my bikes (other than the inevitable nip ups on my LC's)... fast forward to my KTM's... never again!

I understand that a 200+bhp missile needs some rider aids but thats not the entire biking market, adventure bikes should be first and foremost reliable and simple with the ability to do everything acceptably... aka the T7.

I also think Yamaha hit the nail on the head by leaving the modifications and personalisations to the owner, the bike is a perfect tool for stamping your own personality on.

My bike is 800 miles old and is pretty much perfect for me, Yam crash bars, 90NM spring, headlight screen, Rally Raid pannier frames and GPS mount, decent bash plate, barkbusters and screen extension... once I get the pipe sorted its done!

• Like 2

Agree totally. Simplicity is its strength when you’re miles from anywhere. No one is going to tour a continent at full throttle. You’d never see anything. These £16k bikes with £6k worth of Shet on them will be waiting in a foreign workshop while the ten is still roaming. All the XTs through its life have been ideal. Simple and robust. 
I think the exhaust should have been up like the originals, and larger tank to start( even if an option). Rust resistant spokes too. That’s me done. 👍def no upgraded screen or aids. 

• Like 1

I agree with the comments about keeping it simple and the price down so we can customise it to our own needs. 

There is very little to complain about with the T7, but some minor fixups could be considered:

1. Clean up the tail section into one clean plastic piece using offroad plastics (and use offroad plastics rather than ABS)

2. Revise the bottom of the forks and fork guards to provide more protection from damage.

3. Put a stronger return spring on the rear brake.

4. Provide more damping on the instrument panel.

5. Lighten the headlight assembly.

6. Revise the axle/axle nut designs so they are simpler to undo in the field.

7. Use a bolt on rear sub-frame.

8. Put an extra few litres in the tank without changing the style of the bike (similar to the Acerbis tank).

9. Revise the fork cartridges and valving for softer bottoming out (like the Rally Raid fork cartridges).

10. Supply with heavier springs from factory.

11. Use stainless spokes.

12. All more adjustment in the gear shifter.

With these relatively minor changes it would be near perfect and not much more expensive to produce.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

I agree with the comments about keeping it simple and the price down so we can customise it to our own needs. 

There is very little to complain about with the T7, but some minor fixups could be considered:

1. Clean up the tail section into one clean plastic piece using offroad plastics (and use offroad plastics rather than ABS)

2. Revise the bottom of the forks and fork guards to provide more protection from damage.

3. Put a stronger return spring on the rear brake.

4. Provide more damping on the instrument panel.

5. Lighten the headlight assembly.

6. Revise the axle/axle nut designs so they are simpler to undo in the field.

7. Use a bolt on rear sub-frame.

8. Put an extra few litres in the tank without changing the style of the bike (similar to the Acerbis tank).

9. Revise the fork cartridges and valving for softer bottoming out (like the Rally Raid fork cartridges).

10. Supply with heavier springs from factory.

11. Use stainless spokes.

12. All more adjustment in the gear shifter.

With these relatively minor changes it would be near perfect and not much more expensive to produce.  

yes to everything.... especially 7, the bolt on subframe!

I am ok with the ass end though, the plastics are ok by me too.

• Like 1

I think it will take a while for Yamaha to catch up on production and delivery before releasing new models, 2023 would be great though. 

I can see Yamaha releasing a GT model with better suspension and cruise control, possibly. Some things to work thru for the cruise control though. But honestly, I'd rather see Yamaha just bring the Tracer 700 and GT Stateside. Adding more stuff to the Tenere 700 makes it even heavier than it is. If I wanted a more highway touring version of my Tenere 700, I'd much rather just have a Tracer 700 GT. 

I'd like to see a more Barebones T-7 with slimmer tank/fairings and better suspension. I'd like to see Yamaha remodel a more dirt worthy version that's 75 lbs lighter.  I can ride the T7 offroad almost anywhere, but unlike my dirtbikes I would not be able to lift the bike by myself on a hillside and there are some really remote trails here in Idaho that I avoid on this bike.  I also don't want to break all that phucking plastic. 

But hell, what I really want Yamaha to do has nothing to do with the Tenere 700.  I want Yamaha to build the R-9 with the MT-09 engine.  That would be a canyon carving son of a bitch.  They are gonna find that the R-7 isn't selling worth a shet.  My R-7 forum is dead, crickets. I'm about to close it because nobody wants that bike. 

They should have built the R9 instead. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Poacher said:

I bought the Yam precisely because of what it didnt have! TC, rider modes, quick shifter, computer this and that etc etc were exactly what I didnt want.

I was brought up with a cable throttle a pair of brakes and a cable clutch and was never let down by any of my bikes (other than the inevitable nip ups on my LC's)... fast forward to my KTM's... never again!

I understand that a 200+bhp missile needs some rider aids but thats not the entire biking market, adventure bikes should be first and foremost reliable and simple with the ability to do everything acceptably... aka the T7.

I also think Yamaha hit the nail on the head by leaving the modifications and personalisations to the owner, the bike is a perfect tool for stamping your own personality on.

My bike is 800 miles old and is pretty much perfect for me, Yam crash bars, 90NM spring, headlight screen, Rally Raid pannier frames and GPS mount, decent bash plate, barkbusters and screen extension... once I get the pipe sorted its done!

OMG I want them RallyRaid pannier frames!  How about 103 quids postage to Australia?

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I think it will take a while for Yamaha to catch up on production and delivery before releasing new models, 2023 would be great though. 

I can see Yamaha releasing a GT model with better suspension and cruise control, possibly. Some things to work thru for the cruise control though. But honestly, I'd rather see Yamaha just bring the Tracer 700 and GT Stateside. Adding more stuff to the Tenere 700 makes it even heavier than it is. If I wanted a more highway touring version of my Tenere 700, I'd much rather just have a Tracer 700 GT. 

I'd like to see a more Barebones T-7 with slimmer tank/fairings and better suspension. I'd like to see Yamaha remodel a more dirt worthy version that's 75 lbs lighter.  I can ride the T7 offroad almost anywhere, but unlike my dirtbikes I would not be able to lift the bike by myself on a hillside and there are some really remote trails here in Idaho that I avoid on this bike.  I also don't want to break all that phucking plastic. 

But hell, what I really want Yamaha to do has nothing to do with the Tenere 700.  I want Yamaha to build the R-9 with the MT-09 engine.  That would be a canyon carving son of a bitch.  They are gonna find that the R-7 isn't selling worth a shet.  My R-7 forum is dead, crickets. I'm about to close it because nobody wants that bike. 

I'd have an R7 as well as a T7.  But a 900?  Yeh that would be pretty special too.

8 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Haha, the R7 is going to be legendary! The R7 Owners Group on Facebook has nearly 2500 members. I have no doubt the R9 will be very popular but the R7 is for true road riders. It's almost like it has reincarnated the soul of the 1976 Ducati 900SS. The similarities are scary. Weight, power, sound, style and riding position.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_900ss 77.htm

I saw a video just tonight that reflected my own view on it.

I will say though a lot depends on the kind of roads you have. I am in Victoria, Australia with so many tight twisty back roads that just beg for a bike like this. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dougie said:

Agree totally. Simplicity is its strength when you’re miles from anywhere. No one is going to tour a continent at full throttle. You’d never see anything. These £16k bikes with £6k worth of Shet on them will be waiting in a foreign workshop while the ten is still roaming. All the XTs through its life have been ideal. Simple and robust. 
I think the exhaust should have been up like the originals, and larger tank to start( even if an option). Rust resistant spokes too. That’s me done. 👍def no upgraded screen or aids. 

So much this.

I'm not doing the Old Man Yelling At Clouds thing, "all your computers and crap are ruining everything!" 

I love that stuff.  It works exceptionally well, it's impressive kit and very useful.

On a road bike.

On what amounts to a dual sport, simplicity is king.  You've got to expect people to do crazy things with these bikes, take them places they've no business going, and beat the crap out of them.

A HUGE pro of the Tenere is how rock solid simple and reliable it is.  You get a mountain of toys, or you get a simple, reliable, bulletproof bike that'll keep working perfectly through abuse.  You don't get both.

And cost, of course.   Sitting below 10kUSD is a crazy value proposition.

• Like 2