Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Frame Rust/Corrosion

Jovanboris

I have a Tenere 700 Rally edition from 2021 (Made in France). I got it in June 2021 (4 months of riding), has 4000km on the clock, has been ridden mostly on-road (70%) but only in dry weather. I keep it clean, lubed up where it has to be, all in all I’d call myself a good owner.

Since I am as finicky as I am, I did a pre winterization inspection and found rust/corrosion on most of the frame welds. Pictures are bellow.

I called up the dealership and the authorized service shop. They said it would be a shame to disassemble the whole bike to respray the frame, as it is very hard to assemble it back in factory quality (which I agree with 100%). They suggested painting over the rust with a brush and OG paint but thats not the right way to do it. Rust will still spread if not removed.

I'm thinking of treating the rusty welds with a wire brush to get the rust off and then painting it back in black with a brush. Then I'd spray all the welds over with some Krown KC73 (ACF 50 equivalent) every once in a while to prevent it happening again.
What do you think?  Does anyone else have a similar issue?

I’ll keep you updated…

Frame by the rear wheel (where your calfs rub against the frame):

24418A16-FCC0-4137-8A48-013EE0E7CF2A.jpeg

Next to engine:

9CBAA300-D497-45EA-ADCE-C4D99F25EA32.jpeg

By the foot stand bellow the engine (you'll have to creep under the bike):

2FE617DE-85B2-499B-92AD-13A4CC311B73.jpeg

Bellow the rear seat:

D65A8F33-0CDC-44AE-A555-8DFD2E1A285F.jpeg

Edited by Jovanboris
  • Like 1

Hi welcome to the "Yamaha T7 rust world"... 😉

Here in Italy (Europe) we have the same problem... many little rust points.

I havn't asked my dealer how to solve the problem... why? Because there are very few options... dismount the whole bike and reassemble it... with no warranty it will not appear elsewhere in the future...

I have a simple conclusion, T7 has a poor general quality parts... some bolts, spikes... many many problems... but it's cheap, and I love it. I personally put my hands on, and solve those little problems personally... and I consider that it's an offroad bike, and it will never be "perfect". I know, many of you will consider this, not ok... but I do.

IMHO

Bruno

• Like 4

I would like to see this in person but alas, I'm a long ways from you.  It appears to be surface rust caused by a high content of iron ore mixed into the paint.  This seems to happen only on the European bikes.  Corrosion on the spokes and rust in the paint and welds. 

If the dealer doesn't want to fix it, and I see their point, maybe ask for a cash settlement.  After all, this will take up your time to tend to it.   Personally, I'd tend to it my self using a wire brush and corrosion remover then repaint with anti rust paint.  What's the chances the paint will match?  Good luck.

Edited by Landshark

3 hours ago, Jovanboris said:

I have a Tenere 700 Rally edition from 2021 (Made in France). I got it in June 2021, has 4000km on the clock, has been ridden mostly on-road (70%) but only in dry weather. I keep it clean, lubed up where it has to be, all in all I’d call myself a good owner.

Since I am as finicky as I am, I did a pre winterization inspection and found rust/corrosion on most of the very poorly done welds on the frame. Pictures are bellow.

I called up the dealership and the authorized service shop. They said it would be a shame to disassemble the whole bike to respray the frame, as it is very hard to assemble it back in factory quality. They suggested painting over the rust with a brush and OG paint but thats not the right way to do it. Rust will still spread if not removed. 
What do you think?  Does anyone else have a similar issue?

I’ll keep you updated…

24418A16-FCC0-4137-8A48-013EE0E7CF2A.jpeg

9CBAA300-D497-45EA-ADCE-C4D99F25EA32.jpeg

2FE617DE-85B2-499B-92AD-13A4CC311B73.jpeg

D65A8F33-0CDC-44AE-A555-8DFD2E1A285F.jpeg

I have the same bike as you, june '21, 8000 km and little offroad. I dont have this rust issues. I'm not that big cleaner, but once awhile a wash the bike with water and motocleaner and then spray all metal, i.e. engine, radiator, frame, rear suspension with FS365. Its an anti-rust solution from Scott Oiler. Because there is always salt on the roads. Works perfect. I used this on my 950 adventure and after 135.000 km still no rust.

• Like 2

That looks like it has a bit of paint oxidation going on in addition to the ought-right rust. I don't have that much going on with my bike but a few spots here and there. I don't even paint them but to dry to keep them clean and I wipe those areas down with ACF50.  That seem to keep it at bay for me. 

I have always drowned my bike in ACF50 since new and 35000km later she still looks pretty new…. I know there are other similar products out there… some may be better I’m not sure as I only use ACF50 and it works for me… every time I wash my bike, fairly regularly, it gets blow dried and then swamped in the stuff!

It is disappointing we have to do things like this to keep things nice but I don’t think there is anything these days that’s not with its issues. Hondas, BMW, Etc etc they all corrode somewhere granted some maybe more than others it just is what it is.

ACF50 everywhere and plenty of it, regularly it will certainly help… just not on tyres or brakes!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's only on the welds and the welds are thick.  My guess is some residue wasn't cleaned off properly before painting or the weld material isn't as corrosion resistant as the frame metal.  A bitch for sure, but aside from ascetics I can't see it being a problem, for many years. I'd just smear some grease over the spots myself.

• Like 1

Looks like i was naive thinking quality will be good when paying 3k pound less then direct competition... 😕 

Now i'm even more scared to wash my bike to potentially see rust 🤣

269600734_461080105412260_7647843190160358901_n.thumb.jpg.51b07fbfebe3a3fb95ebc41c843bd354.jpg

• Like 1

When you dont wash it, it's  worst!
Mud keep the moisture and not good for rust.

I think it's a small problem, I had a bit of rush on the exhaust and I was able to remove it very easily.

• Like 1

The swingarm pivot bolt on my GII busa was full of rust within a year, a cockup with the galvanizing from the factory I guess.  I dragged a rag moistened with rust converter through it till it was all gone then lubed it with heavy oil.  I'd rather deal with a little rust here and there than an electronics suite that shites itself in the middle of nowhere.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bartek said:

Looks like i was naive thinking quality will be good when paying 3k pound less then direct competition... 😕 

R1200GS Front Engine Cover Corrosion

384551365_M56Pv-M.jpg

R1200GS Front Engine Cover Corrosion See HERE for some photographs of more areas to keep an eye on for corrosion. It seems that BMW R1200GS motorcycles suffer some quality issues with the finish of BMW motorcycles in...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I would be so pissed if I paid all that money for a GS and it got rusty THERE. Jesus

Just for future reference. don't rebuy the stock ones, well I mean you can do whatever you want but I found these!! I know I will be getting a set in red when the time comes

https://racebikebitzusa.com/Yamaha-Tenere-700-2019-2021-Samco-Sport-Silicone-Hose-Kit

According to this site, it looks like the road maintenance people in the UK use sodium chloride or calcium chloride brine solution.   

saltassociation.co.uk/de-icing-roads/

This will eat up anything metal real quick.  It's horrible stuff.  It makes people hate their Yamaha's.  Is there a cure for this infliction?  Also, living by the sea and all of it's salt spray would cause grief as well.

We use calcium chloride on our Northern gravel highways such as the "Dempster Highway" Awful stuff.

Edited by Landshark

An often made mistake when cleaning a salt covered bike is using warm water. NEVER use warm water on salt.
When you use a carwash booth start with the cold water rinse before the hot water soap.

Just went to the garage and checked mine, being Dutch i think i have a French made bike but no frame rust and the spokes are not perfect but not alarming at all.
it's a 2020 which i bought last October with 2900km on the odo and now at 6950.
I ride all year round and don't like spending too much time washing the bikes (i own 3), mostly when i need to work on them or when it get real bad like the last time when the licence plate was a flat surface.