Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What’s your average mpg

Irishman

Although my display normally indicates around 56 mpg or so average for most of my riding, I've found that's pessimistic as the true average as determined when I fill the tank is about 59 mpg.

• Like 2

• Moderators

@Irishman More responses here.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I don't pay the display much attention,  since the calculations is very conservative. I'm about to to install new ABS Rings, so I suspect that will change things. 

I've see 220miles on the clock, loaded up solo on a trip with 20% easy unpaved,  back roads.

My km odometer is quit accurate with oem abs rings. Only speed is 10% more.

I wrote down the km, also trip to zero. Mounted my tomtom gps, wrote down the km. I did a trip of 115 km on the odo, gps had 113 km. My average on 60-80 km/h roads is 28 km/l. On highway at 100 km/h speed, its 24 km/l.

I already did twice 407 and 417 km on one full tank. At refilling there was about 1.5 l left.

Edited by BikeBrother
  • Like 2

Started with full To brim tank did 168 miles … then filled up with 11.11 litres so still had over 5 litres left so  should be ok for 200 miles but that makes about 68 mpg 

Fuelly has a database that's searchable for the Tenere 700 - here's a link to what I found:  

The most accurate Yamaha XTZ07 Tenere 700 MPG estimates based on real world results of 64 thousand miles driven in 18 Yamaha XTZ07 Tenere 700s

Looks like the average is 53.2 among 18 users reporting their fuel consumption.  

Probably not as valuable as individuals on this forum, reporting on how their typical ride shapes up over their own usage 🙂 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

image.jpg

I'm wondering how this pic is possible - the dash is removable from the bike? Or is this an interesting photo frame? Please explain so I can stop wondering about it 🙂 

• Haha 1

Last I checked, mine seems to be around 55mpg based on my calculation from amount of fuel used vs distance traveled on Google Maps. I don't trust the bike's readout. I went down a tooth in the front sprocket though the lower RPMs when cruising highways, so I expect it's a little higher than that now if I were to measured again.

• Like 1

3341 kms of riding and my fuel economy is 4.53L/100 k or 51.89MPG (US Gallon). This is mainly short commutes as well as one bigger trip up and down Vancouver island  as well as the Sunshine Coast. Hoping it gets better as I ride it more. Still not complaining though! 

Mileage calculated via odometer and the 'Road Trip' app on iOS. 

Edited by smurph

19 hours ago, BetterByCab said:

I'm wondering how this pic is possible - the dash is removable from the bike? Or is this an interesting photo frame? Please explain so I can stop wondering about it 🙂 

Hi pal photo of dash was taken with phone then a photo of phone was taken with iPad & uploaded 😎

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

Hi pal photo of dash was taken with phone then a photo of phone was taken with iPad & uploaded 😎

🤣 Now I can sleep at night again - thanks @Irishman

4.6L to the 100kms off the gauge and 4.2 from the calculator. Mix of road, highway and open dirt/gravel

I use to get about 76mpg and my best was 83mpg, but since the unleaded fuel has had its ethanol increased to 10% (E10), I haven’t gotten anywhere near those figures. On my last ride out, I did a mixture of road types and got 68mpg.

The governments are looking for ways to get more tax out of us and E10 has given them a nice increase at our expense with no benefit to the environment and to the detriment of those with older vehicles that aren’t E10 compatible.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

I use to get about 76mpg and my best was 83mpg, but since the unleaded fuel has had its ethanol increased to 10% (E10), I haven’t gotten anywhere near those figures. On my last ride out, I did a mixture of road types and got 68mpg.

The governments are looking for ways to get more tax out of us and E10 has given them a nice increase at our expense with no benefit to the environment and to the detriment of those with older vehicles that aren’t E10 compatible.

I only burn non-ethanol added fuels in the T7.  It costs a whack more money to fill but I don't get any fuel issues.  Better mileage is expected with the high test gasoline.  Try it, you'll like it.

25 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I only burn non-ethanol added fuels in the T7.  It costs a whack more money to fill but I don't get any fuel issues.  Better mileage is expected with the high test gasoline.  Try it, you'll like it.

Interesting. I think you can't find non-ethanol added fuels in Europe. I use 98 octane with 7% ethanol fuel on my T7. It's the best fuel you can find.

30 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

Just wait for E25, that will really screw our engines up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

In the UK we have 2 types of petrol, super unleaded that has upto 5% ethanol and standard petrol that now has 10% ethanol added. The difference in price is about 15-20 pence a litre more expensive, so about £7.70 a gallon. I appreciate that the T7 is pretty dam good compared to some bikes, but as they say “every penny counts” so its a pisser that the governments are forcing ethanol onto us when there are zero climate benefits (less mpg, means more fuel per journey and effectively the same emission output), just another tax raiser. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rekiem said:

Interesting. I think you can't find non-ethanol added fuels in Europe. I use 98 octane with 7% ethanol fuel on my T7. It's the best fuel you can find.

This is interesting.  In Canada you can seek out a 94 octane fuel but it still has roughly 10 ethanol.  Who knew.  I thought high octane was ethanol free, but no.  All fuels in Canada have ethanol.  Now the question is, should one be using a fuel additive to make it better if that's possible?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

This is interesting.  In Canada you can seek out a 94 octane fuel but it still has roughly 10 ethanol.  Who knew.  I thought high octane was ethanol free, but no.  All fuels in Canada have ethanol.  Now the question is, should one be using a fuel additive to make it better if that's possible?

You can remove the ethanol, its hydrophilic, it attracts (?) water so if its agitated it will sink to the bottom of the fuel tank with the water and can be drained off, but its not a practical proposition for most people. You also have to add octane booster after removing it, so its time consuming and adds cost. 

• Like 2

Generally mileage from the display is 53 MPG with lower speed riding. I was just on a long trip that included stretches of 80MPH with some side and headwinds, the display showed high 30's in those conditions. 

3 hours ago, Rekiem said:

Shell V-Power, Total Excellium, BP Ultimate all have 0 ethanol.
By EU laws the amount of ethanol must be advertised on the pump but there is no sticker with E0 so on those pumps you will find E5 because they are allowed to put up to 5% ethanol in those types of fuel.
I use Euro95 E5, i live at the German border and there is still 95 E5 next to the E10.

• Like 1