Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What’s your average mpg

Irishman

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Shell V-Power, Total Excellium, BP Ultimate all have 0 ethanol.
By EU laws the amount of ethanol must be advertised on the pump but there is no sticker with E0 so on those pumps you will find E5 because they are allowed to put up to 5% ethanol in those types of fuel.
I use Euro95 E5, i live at the German border and there is still 95 E5 next to the E10.

Thanks. I used 95 on my yamaha tricker (xg250). It has just a 6 liter tank. But when I tryed 98 I was able to travel almost 20 km more than if I used 95 fuel. Also the engine runs better. I don't tryed 95 on my T7.

• Like 1

I ride with a very gentle use of throttle, no town, mostly minor nationals and very few km on motorways. In my 26,000 km on the T7, I usually get between 28 and 29 km/l, with an absolute record of 31 km/l on a tankful. The dash computer is always pessimistic, indicating around 6-8% fewer km per litre. Great bike, very satisfied...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Shell V-Power, Total Excellium, BP Ultimate all have 0 ethanol.
By EU laws the amount of ethanol must be advertised on the pump but there is no sticker with E0 so on those pumps you will find E5 because they are allowed to put up to 5% ethanol in those types of fuel.
I use Euro95 E5, i live at the German border and there is still 95 E5 next to the E10.

Depending on where you live in the states we have E85 which is very popular in the middle of the country, pretty much everywhere fuel is E10 with varied octane depending on area as well.  I live at a high elevation in Colorado we have octane  as low as 85/87 for cheap and 91 octane premium but other lower elevations I've seen up to 97-98 octane.  We have one fuel station in our city of about 100k population that offers ethanol free and one that offers E85. In contrast my parents town in Illinois most fuel stations offer E85 as an option you just have to have a vehicle that is designed to run E85. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 5:08 AM, Landshark said:

This is interesting.  In Canada you can seek out a 94 octane fuel but it still has roughly 10 ethanol.  Who knew.  I thought high octane was ethanol free, but no.  All fuels in Canada have ethanol.  Now the question is, should one be using a fuel additive to make it better if that's possible?

@Landshark What is your source for this info?  The pure-gas.org website shows the following ethanol-free fuel available in Canada so wondering what's correct:

All Canada: Shell V-Power 91, Canadian Tire 91
Atlantic Canada: Irving Fuels premium
Western Canada: CO-OP premium
Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island: all unleaded gas
Ontario: Costco 91
British Columbia: Chevron 94

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Uncle M said:

@Landshark What is your source for this info?  The pure-gas.org website shows the following ethanol-free fuel available in Canada so wondering what's correct:

All Canada: Shell V-Power 91, Canadian Tire 91
Atlantic Canada: Irving Fuels premium
Western Canada: CO-OP premium
Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island: all unleaded gas
Ontario: Costco 91
British Columbia: Chevron 94

That source is correct for Ethanol free. Canadian Tire however, I'm not sure as there has been conflicting info that they now add ethanol. 

Anywhere I go I use shell V-power 91, as that is always ethanol free. 

• Like 2

Copied from a Google search...

Shell 91, (or V-Power 93) and most of the other brand "premium" gasolines do not have ethanol. The Canadian regulation requires 10% ethanol average in its fuel, by volume sold. So your lowest tier (usually 87 octane) will have 10% to 15% ethanol in it.

That said, the higher octane fuels may or may not have corn oil in it.  The average of the fuel sold needs to be 10%, so if a lot a people purchase low octane fuel it helps average out with the high octane fuel.  That's how the fuel station gets around the "loose law".

I had lot's of starting issues with my 13' KLR due to using low grade fuel which caused the fuel needle to gum up after the bike was parked for about 5 days.  I only use the good stuff now to prevent this.  Always use the good fuel to fill your T7.

• Like 1

I’m averaging 62-65mpg on most tanks. Less on fun days. 
“ I love the smell of super in the morning”, and have to use it for the old ten, and like to use it when I can, but as @Alf Meister points out, fuel is seriously steep in the uk.
Although I am trying to melt the ice caps anyway, so I can be closer to the sea front. ☀️🏝

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

Less on fun days

Is there anything else than fun days on a T7?
There are not many days i'm not riding but when i don't have fun on one of those days then i go for a ride and the fun is back, okay... some days you just have to do something you don't like and cannot skip to go for a ride.

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Is there anything else than fun days on a T7?
There are not many days i'm not riding but when i don't have fun on one of those days then i go for a ride and the fun is back, okay... some days you just have to do something you don't like and cannot skip to go for a ride.

My commute is 20 miles of Shet motorway nowadays. I used to have a daily commute through the beacons ( local mountains) years ago, when on my blade. 160mph on a mountain road was a good start to the day. Would still be good on the t7 though. I’m older now. And slower. Much slower. 😁🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩

Age doesn't say anything about speed.
At The VFR club we had a guy at the age of 68 leaving the club because he sold his VFR for a CBR954RR.

I'm still young at 49 and always riding too fast, on the Crosstourer just launching with his torque and on the T7 more like a hooligan :classic_blush:

Averaged 55 mpg. Thats measured not by the bike's read out.

12 hours ago, marktbike said:

The dash computer is always pessimistic,

I checked today with the calculator and it was 19.6km/L.

The dash showed 5.6L/100km and i calculated 5,1.

14 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I checked today with the calculator and it was 19.6km/L.

The dash showed 5.6L/100km and i calculated 5,1.

I checked some times with the calculador and It was ok. The motorcicle meter show 5,1 and I calculated 5,14/5,18. My Brother own a '21 T7 as well. He checked the odometer with a 230km travel. He said It has a 0,8% error. If you drive 100km the motorcicle meter show 100,8 km. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bike's computer shows 61mpg average but it's higher than that in reality. I did 256 miles last Saturday and fuel in vs miles done it was just short of 70mpg.

16 teeth front sprocket, 45 teeth rear - magic combination for me for economy and everything else.

Cheers

Harv

@HarvC ,

Those are super numbers. I have a 16 tooth front (with stock rear) and do not get near that.

You state "Miles Per Gallon", it that with US gallons or Imperial gallons?

I was just slow sightseeing yesterday on paved roads and got 174 miles before the gauge started to flash and filled up with 3.03 US gallons for @58 mpg. I was happy with that but 70 mpg would make me happier!!

Bob

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

20 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

@HarvC ,

Those are super numbers. I have a 16 tooth front (with stock rear) and do not get near that.

You state "Miles Per Gallon", it that with US gallons or Imperial gallons?

I was just slow sightseeing yesterday on paved roads and got 174 miles before the gauge started to flash and filled up with 3.03 US gallons for @58 mpg. I was happy with that but 70 mpg would make me happier!!

Bob

Bob - that's UK imperial gallons, sorry I forget the forum audience is multinational 

I was just thinking of this topic on my bike yesterday. 

Dang, you all are too nice to your Tenere 700's.  My average is 40.3 on the puter.   I last reset the average about 3500 miles ago.  I rode to work yesterday and saw instant MPG readings of low to mid 30's due to heavy wind.  Didnt change my average a bit.  The ride to work is 60 miles round trip.

I generally ride 50/50 paved, dirt.  I do like to play though. 

• 1 year later...

Just refuelled after a 6000 oil change. This is from cruising around 50 ish on a hot day. Level ground. Would have been higher but had to do urban. 

IMG_9002.jpeg

I just did a 4500 km trip through Norway. The average consumption was 4.0 liters per 100 km. Pretty frugal, innit? 🙂 

Typically it's something like 4.6-4.7/100 km. 

11 minutes ago, beakster said:

I just did a 4500 km trip through Norway. The average consumption was 4.0 liters per 100 km. Pretty frugal, innit? 🙂 

Typically it's something like 4.6-4.7/100 km. 

Yeah it’s nuts. I was playing really, trying to get the mpg as high as possible. Travelling at 50 it stayed around 99. Mental. I soon get bored though and throttle use brings it back down rapidly. 😂🍺

Calculated fuel mileage using fill up amounts and trip meters on a recent 2400km trip through Alberta & BC, 30% highway, 40% twisties, 30% dirt. Mostly Shell 91 VPower fill-ups whenever possible.

4.58L / 100kms or 51.36 mpg average.

3 minutes ago, TeneRico700 said:

Calculated fuel mileage using fill up amounts and trip meters on a recent 2400km trip through Alberta & BC, 30% highway, 40% twisties, 30% dirt. Mostly Shell 91 VPower fill-ups whenever possible.

4.58L / 100kms or 51.36 mpg average.

That’s good going for that type of riding, about 62mpg imperial. 

Screenshot_20230810_182322_Spritmonitor.jpg.86731e5c1004e9b23db08bc29c715388.jpg

This should be 62.9 US mpg, and 75.5 imperial mpg.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 1

In the 8 or 10 tanks I have filled so far, I seem to get ~52mpg. I ride 50% highway (80+mph here in California) and 50% twisties or dirt.

The longest I've gone is 190 miles on a tank, 30 of those after the fuel light came on.

Even after that mileage I was only able to fill 3.7 gallons of gas.

Has anyone run it to empty? How many miles on the fuel light and how many gallons of gas were you able to refill?