Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

What’s your average mpg

Irishman

On 8/10/2023 at 3:37 PM, discoganya said:

In the 8 or 10 tanks I have filled so far, I seem to get ~52mpg. I ride 50% highway (80+mph here in California) and 50% twisties or dirt.

The longest I've gone is 190 miles on a tank, 30 of those after the fuel light came on.

Even after that mileage I was only able to fill 3.7 gallons of gas.

Has anyone run it to empty? How many miles on the fuel light and how many gallons of gas were you able to refill?

I ran mine to empty last summer as a test .I was getting ready for a trip and wanted to ease the range anxiety I was getting when the last bar started blinking. Sure enough,  I got almost another 120km (75 miles) on the tank after it started counting up from zero. 
one thing I noticed last year was it seems like I get very poor mileage on the freeway (running at 120km/h or faster for longer durations). 

I ride mostly gravel and back roads, but for this trip I had to do a couple hours on the freeway on a colder day and I was surprised how bad the mileage seemed. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this. 
For my type of riding, I plan my trips on 350km to a tank. And then if I get into trouble I know I could likely nurse it to about 380km or a bit more (235 miles)

Again- that’s slower off-road and backroad stuff 

4 minutes ago, CamT said:

I ran mine to empty last summer as a test .I was getting ready for a trip and wanted to ease the range anxiety I was getting when the last bar started blinking. Sure enough,  I got almost another 120km (75 miles) on the tank after it started counting up from zero. 
one thing I noticed last year was it seems like I get very poor mileage on the freeway (running at 120km/h or faster for longer durations). 

I ride mostly gravel and back roads, but for this trip I had to do a couple hours on the freeway on a colder day and I was surprised how bad the mileage seemed. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this. 
For my type of riding, I plan my trips on 350km to a tank. And then if I get into trouble I know I could likely nurse it to about 380km or a bit more (235 miles)

Again- that’s slower off-road and backroad stuff 

Thanks for performing that test!

I'm also experiencing a significant decrease in fuel efficiency at speeds above 100 km/h.

I think it's related to the final drivetrain ratio (or whatever it's called in English).

The T7 runs very efficient between 50-80 km/h. If you avoid heavy acceleration, you can get easily (!) down to 3.7 l/100 km.  That way, the fuel reserve starts blinking around 300 km (or more). Total range can be easily 400 km per tank that way.

BUT: Fuel consumption increases heavily in city traffic and also with lower temperatures. Offroad riding also affects it, since the speeds are slower typically.

I'm sometimes tempted to move to a 16t front sprocket, but then I'd probably miss the low 1st in some offroad scenarios.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Here's the results I ran in 2021 with  around 7,000 miles on the clock.

Date.     11/5/21.

Miles (total) 192.5

Miles to Reserve. 185

Miles on Reserve 7.5

Mpg. 65.18

I did another test with a rotopax on board and got 221.2 miles total out of the stock tank to engine sputter.

Speeds were as follows:

67 mi @ 75 mph

28 mi @ 65 mph

25 mi @ 55 mph

101.2 mi @ 43 mph

Av. 59.5 mph

68.8 mi on reserve

Av mpg 53.95

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I get an average that ranges anywhere from 51.7mpg to 58.8mpg, all which is dependent on the kind of riding that I do.

Most times a easy comfy cruise (which has now become rare 🤣) is when it is around the 58.8mpg.

While I am riding gravel and keeping it between 3rd and 4th, get a mixed of approx 51.7mpg.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |