Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

ECU Flash return shipping

roygilbo

I would like a flash but i'll never will send my ECU off. It's done on the bike or not at all.
When i ordered the one finger cluth kit i also ordered the ODB2 adapter to get the free shipping, in this case i payed just 2/3 for the adapter and it's also already one step for the mail in flash.

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I would like a flash but i'll never will send my ECU off. It's done on the bike or not at all.
When i ordered the one finger cluth kit i also ordered the ODB2 adapter to get the free shipping, in this case i payed just 2/3 for the adapter and it's also already one step for the mail in flash.

Return shipping is only 2-3 days anywhere in the USA. International return shipping is out of anyone's control these days. 

• Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg

Hah I bought a chain and sprocket kit from Sprocket Center in the states.  Ended up - well after receiving it, and paying $50 for shipping - getting a bill for $72.62 from fedex, of which only $14 was duties and taxes, the rest was FedEx's bullshit "Disbursement Fee" of $10 and "Clearance Entry Fee" of $45.35.   Pretty steep for a chain set that cost $180usd.  It can definitely be worse than USPS.

@2 Wheel DynoWorks You guys do in person flashing? 

I had your flash on my MT07 and absolutely loved it.  I'd like to do my T7, but am not super keen on mailing it - between roughly $100 cdn in shipping both ways, the potential of another $50 in customs fees, and the uncertainty of the wait, it's just not really practical.  Given the costs and timeframes, it'd actually make sense to just ride down there, pull my ECU out in the parking lot and hand it to you. 

• Supporting Vendor
1 minute ago, Wintersdark said:

Hah I bought a chain and sprocket kit from Sprocket Center in the states.  Ended up - well after receiving it, and paying $50 for shipping - getting a bill for $72.62 from fedex, of which only $14 was duties and taxes, the rest was FedEx's bullshit "Disbursement Fee" of $10 and "Clearance Entry Fee" of $45.35.   Pretty steep for a chain set that cost $180usd.  It can definitely be worse than USPS.

@2 Wheel DynoWorks You guys do in person flashing? 

I had your flash on my MT07 and absolutely loved it.  I'd like to do my T7, but am not super keen on mailing it - between roughly $100 cdn in shipping both ways, the potential of another $50 in customs fees, and the uncertainty of the wait, it's just not really practical.  Given the costs and timeframes, it'd actually make sense to just ride down there, pull my ECU out in the parking lot and hand it to you. 

Absolutely. We'll even pull the ECU for you for free, anytime during business hours, no appointment necessary.

• Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg

4 minutes ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

Absolutely. We'll even pull the ECU for you for free, anytime during business hours, no appointment necessary.

Fantastic.  Looks like a road trip is in order this spring.  

Mine returned to the island within 2weeks of sending, but that was over a year ago. 
 Recent purchase from California pinballed around there for over two weeks & made about a dozen (some multiple) stops in Cali before finally heading North. USPS apparently uses commercial flights to ship international was the explanation I got at the time from shipper. Package finally made it but it was questionable for a while. 
  Last thing you want is your bikes brain getting lost in the shuffle! 

I had 2wheel remap my 700, turn around time was 3-4 weeks, it was held up in the US for 10 days, not sure why. I had my FZ09 done after that and it was a 4-5 week turn around, again held up in US for 14 days at one facility.

Here is where things went sideways for me and USPS. I purchased  a few thing from a adv bike outfit from ID and they sent the items in 2 packages graphics. First package I got in 6 days, second package was sent to LA and ended up back in ID after 5 - 6 weeks. The company sent me another package and im still waiting. It has been just over 10 weeks. The whole transition from USPS to Canada Post is flawed. I'm glad this didnt happen with my ECU's as spring is here. 

3 hours ago, 174ktm said:

I had 2wheel remap my 700, turn around time was 3-4 weeks, it was held up in the US for 10 days, not sure why. I had my FZ09 done after that and it was a 4-5 week turn around, again held up in US for 14 days at one facility.

Here is where things went sideways for me and USPS. I purchased  a few thing from a adv bike outfit from ID and they sent the items in 2 packages graphics. First package I got in 6 days, second package was sent to LA and ended up back in ID after 5 - 6 weeks. The company sent me another package and im still waiting. It has been just over 10 weeks. The whole transition from USPS to Canada Post is flawed. I'm glad this didnt happen with my ECU's as spring is here. 

The good thing was I was not dinged any other charges. 👍🏻 Definitely a learning lesson for anything coming north again.  Question for you @174ktm, mine threw up 4 error codes, 108, 113, 118, 122.  I have since cleared them as they all relate I believe to the flash. Did you have any? @2 Wheel DynoWorks are those normal on a flash? 

On 4/9/2022 at 11:23 AM, Chris1974 said:

Well, looks to me you have nothing to complain about. I sent in my ECU from the Netherlands on the 4th of December 2021. As it stands now (to no fault of 2WheelDynoworks actually) it is supposed to finaly arrive this monday... 

What was I thinking... Ofcourse it wouldn't be delivered today... Whatever the TRack and Trace said... Waiting for a new date... Oh the post... 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 7:41 PM, roygilbo said:

The good thing was I was not dinged any other charges. 👍🏻 Definitely a learning lesson for anything coming north again.  Question for you @174ktm, mine threw up 4 error codes, 108, 113, 118, 122.  I have since cleared them as they all relate I believe to the flash. Did you have any? @2 Wheel DynoWorks are those normal on a flash? 

So, I fired it up for only a short duration, I don't know if any codes are there. We have been hit with crap weather and I have not been out yet for a ride. We just got a foot of snow and blizzard conditions for the last 2 days. I will keep you posted. Its suppose to be OK weather this weekend and want to go for a rip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive but I'm hoping to vent a bit and maybe help people from similar pain in the future.

Tldr; yadda yadda took an entire month to get my ECU back from the states, would not do same way again.

I found this site from a Google search during my frustration over this very same thing. I ride a 2022 MT09 so hopefully this is a friendly place.

This is my first experience with sending an ECU out for flashing, and will seriously rethink it next time, or at least how I go about it.

I purposely sent my ECU from Edmonton to 2WDW via FedEx International Express Priority *overnight* on Friday May 6. Cost: $165 CAD. Fedex screwed up and didn't select Saturday delivery despite me explicitly stating I wanted it, after Nels at 2WDW telling me they are open Saturdays so it didn't get delivered until Tuesday May 10. In my head, this was gonna be flashed same day as per Nels and I'd have it back the next week. What a doofus I was for thinking that.

2WDW did indeed have it flashed and sent back out the same day, big props to them for that, but that's where the nightmare began. For the next four days it would appear and disappear repeatedly in USPS' tracking. Right after I emailed Nels concerned for its whereabouts, it appeared in Carson, CA (Los Angeles). This worried me, as it would've made more sense to tape it to a donkeys ass in Seattle and kick it towards the Canadian border with fingers crossed.

It took 15 more days to leave Los Angeles. And where did it go? TORONTO. F'n Toronto. Wrong side of the country, once again. Thinking FINALLY it's in Canada it'll get home really soon, it got pulled for CBSA. Two days later (today), I get an invoice by Canada Post for duty & taxes. This is what I'm mad about now. I already own the damn thing and paid taxes on the bike purchase, why am I paying again? Reading these posts it seems that's normal so whatever. What's another $25 after I've dropped $1000 in shipping, flashing, bike payments, and insurance for a month of a paperweight for a bike.

Interestingly, and this is my only criticism of 2WDW, I emailed a second time to express my frustration about the situation and that they need to offer better shipping options because USPS is a hot steaming pile of government saddled garbage. My email went completely unanswered. And now I see that even before that they posted here in March saying they've stopped using USPS. So which is it?

Next time, if there's a next time, I'll literally fly down with the bloody thing in person. At least I'll have certainty, only a weekend of no bike and get a nice trip out of it.

1D078DB4-F8FA-4794-94A3-D65D6F38D8F4.png

60DA0E8B-178C-46CE-BDA4-1AEA967E7162.png

4538BA82-1F35-4547-8E95-4F1163A62F67.png

Edited by MT0H9
Potato Image quality
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, MT0H9 said:

Sorry to revive but I'm hoping to vent a bit and maybe help people from similar pain in the future.

Tldr; yadda yadda took an entire month to get my ECU back from the states, would not do same way again.

I found this site from a Google search during my frustration over this very same thing. I ride a 2022 MT09 so hopefully this is a friendly place.

This is my first experience with sending an ECU out for flashing, and will seriously rethink it next time, or at least how I go about it.

I purposely sent my ECU from Edmonton to 2WDW via FedEx International Express Priority *overnight* on Friday May 6. Cost: $165 CAD. Fedex screwed up and didn't select Saturday delivery despite me explicitly stating I wanted it, after Nels at 2WDW telling me they are open Saturdays so it didn't get delivered until Tuesday May 10. In my head, this was gonna be flashed same day as per Nels and I'd have it back the next week. What a doofus I was for thinking that.

2WDW did indeed have it flashed and sent back out the same day, big props to them for that, but that's where the nightmare began. For the next four days it would appear and disappear repeatedly in USPS' tracking. Right after I emailed Nels concerned for its whereabouts, it appeared in Carson, CA (Los Angeles). This worried me, as it would've made more sense to tape it to a donkeys ass in Seattle and kick it towards the Canadian border with fingers crossed.

It took 15 more days to leave Los Angeles. And where did it go? TORONTO. F'n Toronto. Wrong side of the country, once again. Thinking FINALLY it's in Canada it'll get home really soon, it got pulled for CBSA. Two days later (today), I get an invoice by Canada Post for duty & taxes. This is what I'm mad about now. I already own the damn thing and paid taxes on the bike purchase, why am I paying again? Reading these posts it seems that's normal so whatever. What's another $25 after I've dropped $1000 in shipping, flashing, bike payments, and insurance for a month of a paperweight for a bike.

Interestingly, and this is my only criticism of 2WDW, I emailed a second time to express my frustration about the situation and that they need to offer better shipping options because USPS is a hot steaming pile of government saddled garbage. My email went completely unanswered. And now I see that even before that they posted here in March saying they've stopped using USPS. So which is it?

Next time, if there's a next time, I'll literally fly down with the bloody thing in person. At least I'll have certainty, only a weekend of no bike and get a nice trip out of it.

1D078DB4-F8FA-4794-94A3-D65D6F38D8F4.png

60DA0E8B-178C-46CE-BDA4-1AEA967E7162.png

4538BA82-1F35-4547-8E95-4F1163A62F67.png

They did say they would be using a different carrier than USPS when I went through the exact same milk run.  @2 Wheel DynoWorks can you shed some light on who you plan to use? It would certainly assist us Canucks in knowing if we need to plan another 20 days to get it back.  

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
16 hours ago, roygilbo said:

They did say they would be using a different carrier than USPS when I went through the exact same milk run.  @2 Wheel DynoWorks can you shed some light on who you plan to use? It would certainly assist us Canucks in knowing if we need to plan another 20 days to get it back.  

We did, and then we started getting enormous customs/duty fees through FedEx and UPS's brokers. Their insane policy is to kick those costs back to the shipper (us), and we were unable to collect and absorbed huge losses for a couple of weeks because of it. Due to the randomness and uncertainty of customs/duty fees with other shippers, we have had to stick with USPS for the moment until we find a better solution. 

All that have inquired have been told to expect anywhere from 1-4 weeks for shipments back to Canada/Mexico.

2wheellogo.jpg

2 minutes ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

Their insane policy is to kick those costs back to the shipper (us)

Well that doesn't sound right at all. Any time I receive something via FedEx or UPS it's me who has to pay those brokerage & customs/duty fees. Why would they send it to you?

Again, I think you guys provide an awesome service and lived up to your end of the deal, I just think you should offer the options and let the customer decide if they want to bear the cost of them. I know I would've happily paid more to get it back on a decent timeline.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

We did, and then we started getting enormous customs/duty fees through FedEx and UPS's brokers. Their insane policy is to kick those costs back to the shipper (us), and we were unable to collect and absorbed huge losses for a couple of weeks because of it. Due to the randomness and uncertainty of customs/duty fees with other shippers, we have had to stick with USPS for the moment until we find a better solution. 

All that have inquired have been told to expect anywhere from 1-4 weeks for shipments back to Canada/Mexico.

I think that this will be part of my strategy going forward if I have the time.  Pull it out when the bike is being stored for a portion of the winter and then live with the wait.

I was worried about something like that happening to me. I've had terrible luck with USPS lately. I shipped it off last Friday and it should be out for delivery tomorrow. I'm in the us though.