Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Camel 1 finger clutch mod

NeilW

I just installed rhe Camel Adv 1 finger clutch mod. It was always high on my list but my Oem crash bars wouldn’t work with it. So I changed crash bars. Here is my review. Comments always welcome 

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/04/05/camel-adv-1-finger-clutch-kit-review-yamaha-tenere-700-project-bike/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NeilW said:

I just installed rhe Camel Adv 1 finger clutch mod. It was always high on my list but my Oem crash bars wouldn’t work with it. So I changed crash bars. Here is my review. Comments always welcome 

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/04/05/camel-adv-1-finger-clutch-kit-review-yamaha-tenere-700-project-bike/

I also have the OEM bars and realized this mod is not compatible... The other problem with the OEM bars is that they make it very difficult to remove the front plastic panel which is required to swap the front flashers.  Add the OEM crash bars to my list of things to swap out. 

8 hours ago, SO_Rider said:

I also have the OEM bars and realized this mod is not compatible... The other problem with the OEM bars is that they make it very difficult to remove the front plastic panel which is required to swap the front flashers.  Add the OEM crash bars to my list of things to swap out. 

Someone on this site had the same issue with the one finger clutch and oem bars and ground off a small corner of the mount, just a small  portion of the round area and made the bars work.

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 2

I didn't think i needed it but after my offroad training (advanced) i discovered i did need it and ordered one tonight.

Just now, Ray Ride4life said:

I didn't think i needed it but after my offroad training (advanced) i discovered i did need it and ordered one tonight.

That’s great. Just make sure you have a snap ring tool handy. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Vendor

Great to hear you’re happy with the kit Neil. Thanks for the write up!

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

3 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Great to hear you’re happy with the kit Neil. Thanks for the write up!

All your products are highest quality and your install videos are almost as good as you being in the garage helping. 

• Like 1

Clutch cabele too short...?

I've gotten the kit before I even had the bike 😉

Real quality stuff; great explanatory video, so assumed install would be a breeze. 

It kinda was, however even with cable adjustment turned as loose as possible (max slack), first and second position was only reachable with the pivot arm  to far off center: with clutchlever in completely rear wheel kept spinning considerably. To the point of being able to ride away.

Changed it back to the original OEM setup  and the problem is gone. 

(I did also install shorter levers, no negative's in OEM clutch setup)

So obviously I must be doing something very wrong (newbie farkler), or am missing something or my cable just is too short.... 

Any ideas?

Edited by Pilomajajo

8 hours ago, Pilomajajo said:

Real quality stuff; great explanatory video, so assumed install would be a breeze. 

It kinda was, however even with cable adjustment turned as loose as possible (max slack), first and second position was only reachable with the pivot arm  to far off center: with clutchlever in completely rear wheel kept spinning considerably. To the point of being able to ride away.

So obviously I must be doing something very wrong (newbie farkler), or am missing something or my cable just is too short.... 

Any ideas?

I suggest you contact Cory directly for advise on the install. Mine and everyone else’s that I have talked to or forum’d with had no issues with the installation. 
Let us know what you discover you are doing incorrectly in the install so it can help someone else down the road. 

Great article and photos Neil, thank you. Pretty cool that we've got a guy with UM here in the forums! 

I'm very tempted now, especially seeing it matched with the cut/shorter lever. I've already happily sent Cory a few hundred of my hard earned dollars, what's a little more 😄

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
16 hours ago, Pilomajajo said:

Any ideas?

Please post some photos of how you have it set up. It will be an easy fix.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

4 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Please post some photos of how you have it set up. It will be an easy fix.

@NeilW: ... he beat me to it 😉

@Camel ADV: Thank you so much for responding! I would if I could... but yesterday I changed back to OEM, just so I can get to my mechanic and ask his opinion. I surely will report back

2 hours ago, Pilomajajo said:

@NeilW: ... he beat me to it 😉

@Camel ADV: Thank you so much for responding! I would if I could... but yesterday I changed back to OEM, just so I can get to my mechanic and ask his opinion. I surely will report back

I’ll bet if you watch his video again you will see what step you might have missed. 

update: issue resolved.

This is how it looks now, and it it's all good - I really appreciate the lighter action and increased friction zone.

Notice we had to dial in completely the adjuster on the clutch lever side of things. 

Me changing out to shorty levers (and then setting them to close to the handlebar), not daring enough to dial in the adjuster more (brand new bike...)  seems to have been the cause.

Happy it works, happy I learned.

IMG_8836.jpg

IMG_8837.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilomajajo said:

update: issue resolved.

This is how it looks now, and it it's all good - I really appreciate the lighter action and increased friction zone.

Notice we had to dial in completely the adjuster on the clutch lever side of things. 

Me changing out to shorty levers (and then setting them to close to the handlebar), not daring enough to dial in the adjuster more (brand new bike...)  seems to have been the cause.

Happy it works, happy I learned.

IMG_8836.jpg

IMG_8837.jpg

Glad you got it resolved. I had a feeling about the clutch side but didn’t want to be another cook in the kitchen. I don’t over rev and jerk on start outs now with the new friction zone 

• Like 2

Popping in to say I did buy it, installed it today. Definitely worth it! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, advsquid said:

Popping in to say I did buy it, installed it today. Definitely worth it! 

That is great. There are just some upgrades that make this bike better. This is one of those. 

• Like 1

Just remembered: for anyone looking to install this who possibly, maybe, theoretically drops the washer for the clutch arm into the bowels of the bike after the spring goes shooting and is feeling too lazy to remove their skid plate, you want a flat washer with an ID of 10mm. 33 cents at my local hardware store....I bought a few....just in case.... Anyway, just looked it up, OEM is $9. For a washer lmao 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 4:54 PM, NeilW said:

That’s great. Just make sure you have a snap ring tool handy. 

Why a snap ring tool?

4 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

Why a snap ring tool?

Because you have to take off and put on a snap ring in the install process.  Trying to do it with needle nose pliers sometimes wrecks the snap ring. 

490A09C7-1E18-4414-B893-3896E371078E.jpeg

Edited by NeilW

NeilW is correct, Snap ring pliers are the proper tool, but if you don't have them a couple of picks work well. Be careful though, because you might launch your snap ring across your garage or shop and never find it.

Just now, Mx375 said:

NeilW is correct, Snap ring pliers are the proper tool, but if you don't have them a couple of picks work well. Be careful though, because you might launch your snap ring across your garage or shop and never find it.

even using the snap ring tool I over expanded the OEM ring as I was taking it off. Sure glad that Camel includes one in the kit!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mx375 said:

2 minutes ago, Mx375 said:

Someone else had a great suggestion for always finding the 'launched'  nuts, bolts and snap rings, set a oil pan with about 2" of used  black oil in it on the opposite side of your garage and you are sure to find it will have jumped, bounced and ricocheted  in there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I just installed my Camel adv one finger clutch and it took 6 hours 😂 the video doesnt explain how the clutch works and i kept trying and trying and i had to watch the Altrider video on youtube to understand about the friction zone.

@Camel ADV please make a new video where you also explain in detail free play and friction zone. Similar to this: 

Edited by Oxxa
  • Dislike 2

35 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

I just installed my Camel adv one finger clutch and it took 6 hours 😂 the video doesnt explain how the clutch works and i kept trying and trying and i had to watch the Altrider video on youtube to understand about the friction zone.

@Camel ADV please make a new video where you also explain in detail free play and friction zone. Similar to this: 

As a user and reviewer I feel bad that you had an issue with the installation. I did not have the same experience as you did installing the 1 finger clutch mod. I hope yo are comfortable with it now. it makes for a better riding experience in traffic and in slow technical terrain.