Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Different high exhausts

Daniel M

Good morning everyone!

In a couple of months I am setting of towards Nepal from Sweden with my T7. I am a rather short and light rider so I will probably drop my bike at least 2000 times during this specific trip. I am well covered with my Outback Motortek crash bars and Barkbusters BUT the OEM exhaust might give me problem down the road.

I would really appreciate if you guys could provide me with different options of high exhaust solutions with pictures and comments. Also my upcoming journey is very long and a very loud muffler would be super annoying.

Grateful for answers

//Daniel

• Like 1

I've ordered the MIVV Dakar also because of the bending of the OEM exhaust which i already did.
I knew about the problem so i checked every time i dropped him on the right side but i don't wan't keep doing that as it's just a matter of time i will forget it or am in a wrong place to be able to kick it back.
It's also a matter of time the hanger breaks of the frame.
My choice for the MIVV is the fact that they have EURO 4 and 5 approval and i like the line of it along the back and also how the linkpipe runs past the swingarm.
Do you have some sort of channel where you share the trip? It would be a trip i might doing when my South Africa adventure i'm going to dive in when i get back from the North Cape don't work out. The "stan" country's also place i hope to ride someday.

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Daniel M. Some good offerings from @Camel ADV, an approved vendor on this forum who makes quality stuff. I've been extremely satisfied with their quality,  service and quick response to any questions.  Checkout their YT channel for DIY tutorials that are well done and informative.  @BellissiMoto , another approved vendor, carries the MIVV pipe.

Below is a pic of my Rally pipe.

20211219_142214.jpg

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I have the hpcorse short high. This was last year the first high exhaust available with euro 4/5. the Huzar had no euro approval. Its not louder then the oem akra on the rally 2021 version. On the german tenere forum they measured even 2 dB less.i have adventure spec side racks, rhe exhaust fits well behind.

IMG_20211123_103316734.jpg

IMG_20211123_112337681.jpg

• Like 3

Huzar exhaust always gets my vote! Great deal and tucks in nicely 

D66F31FF-C344-4A5C-86EF-775977CB207C.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm curious about OP's planned route.
With the current situation is the Russian route out of the question (not impossible but most definitely not the smartest). The most direct route avoiding Russia would be the ferry to Poland then Slovakia, Hungary, Romania etc but i would avoid the long ferry from Trelleborg (correction suggests Hellebore?) and pass through Denmark and Germany.
Most European country's just pay attention to the sound (or not at all) but when you don't have an Euro spec exhaust in Germany it can be ending up in a big pain in the ass especially because Sweden is in the EU. Being not in the Euro zone (yes, one Europe 🤐) might be a free pass but try explaining that to "die polizei".
My advice would be to stick with Euro spec mufflers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BikeBrother said:

I have the hpcorse short high. This was last year the first high exhaust available with euro 4/5. the Huzar had no euro approval. Its not louder then the oem akra on the rally 2021 version. On the german tenere forum they measured even 2 dB less.i have adventure spec side racks, rhe exhaust fits well behind.

IMG_20211123_103316734.jpg

IMG_20211123_112337681.jpg

Same for me. It sounds nice, does follow the lines of the bike very well. IMG_20220327_184027_795.thumb.jpg.d6daab71ce576c942f7f13a6ddee71c7.jpg

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I'm curious about OP's planned route.
With the current situation is the Russian route out of the question (not impossible but most definitely not the smartest). The most direct route avoiding Russia would be the ferry to Poland then Slovakia, Hungary, Romania etc but i would avoid the long ferry from Trelleborg (correction suggests Hellebore?) and pass through Denmark and Germany.
Most European country's just pay attention to the sound (or not at all) but when you don't have an Euro spec exhaust in Germany it can be ending up in a big pain in the ass especially because Sweden is in the EU. Being not in the Euro zone (yes, one Europe 🤐) might be a free pass but try explaining that to "die polizei".
My advice would be to stick with Euro spec mufflers.

The plan right now is to drive the following route:

Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic,  Slovakia, Hungary,  Romania, Bulgaria,  Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India and finally Nepal

Well aware that the world is seriously f…. Up right now so there is a chance we will have to “wing” it a bit to reach our destination.

How do you know a muffler/exhaust is EU approved?

//D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I've ordered the MIVV Dakar also because of the bending of the OEM exhaust which i already did.
I knew about the problem so i checked every time i dropped him on the right side but i don't wan't keep doing that as it's just a matter of time i will forget it or am in a wrong place to be able to kick it back.
My choice for the MIVV is the fact that they have EURO 4 and 5 approval and i like the line of it along the back and also how the linkpipe runs past the swingarm.
Do you have some sort of channel where you share the trip? It would be a trip i might doing when my South Africa adventure i'm going to dive in when i get back from the North Cape don't work out. The "stan" country's also place i hope to ride someday.

Sounds like you have awsome plans! The Stan countries is something I really wanna do but I guess due to Russia going all "crazy" right now its something for a distance future.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic,  Slovakia, Hungary,  Romania, Bulgaria,  Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India and finally Nepal

Well aware that the world is seriously f…. Up right now so there is a chance we will have to “wing” it a bit to reach our destination.

//D

It's mentioned in the discription, for the MIVV and as mentioned here also the HP corse are Euro 4 and 5 approved and they come with an certificate. UK brands tell you in the sites that they are Street legal but that is based on soundlevels i think, these are most definitely not homologated for Euro 4 or 5 bikes.
When you buy a separate muffler with an Euro 4 and 5 certificate make sure it's sold for your bike. Mufflers are a standard and only the link-pipe makes it model specific. Even a muffler approved for a MT07 without a homologation for the T7 is not valid even though it's the same engine.
As i said most country's never look at it as long as the bike has an acceptable soundlevel but it would be sour if you just got stopped and the trip has to be postponed until you get a new exhaust leaving you with a ticket and the cost of the new exhaust.

13 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

Stupid question but how would a POLICE OFFICER know if an exhaust is EU approved or not?

It has a number stamped or etched in the muffler and you'll get a paper or card with the information so you can prove that number matches your bike to make the approval valid.

Edit:
This is what i have with the LeoVince for my Crosstourer.
IMG_20220410_224941.thumb.jpg.aa711ac4f496f3851a54fec8275b91c0.jpg

Edited by Ray Ride4life

34 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

Sounds like you have awsome plans! The Stan countries is something I really wanna do but I guess due to Russia going all "crazy" right now its something for a distance future.

When you go via Turkey, Azerbaijan and Iran you end up in Turkmenistan. From there you can go up to Kazakhstan and back down around Afghanistan which you better avoid.
Depending on the time and budget you have you can choose to go to India or back through Iran.
But my plan with South Africa is to move there and the dream is to go do motorcycle tours but fist see if i can get there.

• Like 2

Some parts for bikes need an "EU homologation" to be street legal. Just ask the vendor for that number. Sometimes, it's called "KBA-Number", but that's for older parts mostly and is probably only valid in Germany.

FYI: brake/clutch levers fall under that category, too 👹

We Germans know how to stop people having fun, it's in our DNA.

Hell = Germany without beer 😁

Let's be honest: Usually, our police officers are really nice and friendly. Unless you ride within the speed limits (yes, we have some) and reasonably, no one's gonna stop you.

@Daniel M surely you already have read AMH by Chris Scott?

I bet Ray has 🙂

Edited by Tenerider

10 hours ago, Daniel M said:

Brings back a lot of memories. In 2001 we did they same trip, only we went a bit further... Here's a link to have some ideas and have a good trip.

14 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

When you go via Turkey, Azerbaijan and Iran you end up in Turkmenistan. From there you can go up to Kazakhstan and back down around Afghanistan which you better avoid.
Depending on the time and budget you have you can choose to go to India or back through Iran.
But my plan with South Africa is to move there and the dream is to go do motorcycle tours but fist see if i can get there.

@Ray Ride4life move to SA? now there is a great plan!!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Doeas anyone have any idea if this system is very LOUD or not?

16 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

If we compare the Camel, MIVV and Hpcorse - which one is NOT very loud?

Any with Euro homologation because they can't be louder than OEM.

All of them would be a bit darker in sound i guess.

29 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

If we compare the Camel, MIVV and Hpcorse - which one is NOT very loud?

According to all I've read about them, HP Corse is not as loud as stock.

Regarding EU homologation and loudness: As far as I know, homologation mainly addresses emissions like CO2 and NOx and "drive-by volume".

In Tyrol/Austria, some roads are banned for loud motorcycles - BUT they measure the volume in standstill (!) at 50% max rpm (depends on the machine).

This is a parameter which is - as far as I know - not taken into account for EU homologation.

This value is typical higher than the drive-by volume.

32 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Any with Euro homologation because they can't be louder than OEM.

All of them would be a bit darker in sound i guess.

Ok super! Don’t wanna sound stupid but what is homologation?

8 minutes ago, Daniel M said:

Ok super! Don’t wanna sound stupid but what is homologation?

It's a process under which parts are being tested, so they can be safely used as an alternative for OEM parts on specific bikes. It addresses safety issues as well as emission regulations (for exhausts).

EU homologation means the part can be legally used on your bike, because they have been tested to work with that bike accoridng to all standards and laws. Your insurance remains valid with these parts.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Huzar here also. Cant beat the price and you can make it as quite as stock with both baffles in or very loud with both out. I running just the front baffle and it sounds great.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:16 AM, Daniel M said:

I would really appreciate if you guys could provide me with different options of high exhaust solutions with pictures and comments. Also my upcoming journey is very long and a very loud muffler would be super annoying.

Grateful for answers

//Daniel

Huzar high mount exhaust, available in 400mm - pictured, slightly quieter than stock with both baffles in- and 500mm which is significantly quieter than stock with both baffles in.

Cost is roughly $250, making it one of if not the cheapest system.

Very happy with mine.  

20220408_070116.jpg.be766496c7864b74a326fe2317468fa1.jpg

Outside of the can stays quite cool, other than the tip, so it's much safer with soft luggage without a rack. 

• Like 3