Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Different high exhausts

Daniel M

15 hours ago, Ferd said:

Those of you with these high pipes, do they interfere with grabbing the bike by the subframe hand-holds? Some of these look a little tight. TIA!

That was a concern of mine when mounting my Huzar muffler, but easily fixed by using a 20mm longer stand-off bracket than the one provided by Huzar. That longer bracket also provided more clearance for the turn signal.

20220101_110147.jpg.5f3fe7276aa47a1dfd3e72ea99390b88.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I have a hp corse on order and might want to make a stand off bracket also. If not for the hand grab to better clear my cyclopse taillights on the R and G tidy tail.  Do you have a before or after install picture of  the bracket?  Thanks, Dean

Go with the MIVV high exhaust. Cheaper than hpcorse and better pipe clearance (updated version of it)

5 hours ago, eyeguy said:

I have a hp corse on order and might want to make a stand off bracket also. If not for the hand grab to better clear my cyclopse taillights on the R and G tidy tail.  Do you have a before or after install picture of  the bracket?  Thanks, Dean

Assuming you were referencing the longer stand-off bracket for the Huzar exhaust in my 12/25 post, here are the best pictures I have of the bracket I used. It was laying in my toolbox miscellaneous item drawer, and was most likely from an aftermarket Fiamm horn I'd installed on a previous bike years ago. It's actually just three thin metal strips with holes drilled at each end, and I would have fabricated a similar 20mm longer single-piece bracket from bar stock if I hadn't found this ready-to-use item.

When fitting the Huzar exhaust to my bike, I'd determined a 20mm longer bracket was as long/low as I could go without adversely affecting alignment of all the system components.

20220101_090725.jpg.2a46d36e338f035aeabd07367d7f19cb.jpg20220101_090802.jpg.4973db3f0e78987ca4b0f2157dfcfbbe.jpg20220101_091018.jpg.79a47ec5579c639e00e052fa817ad76c.jpg  

I built an exhaust hanger for my MIVV Dakar in connection with a tail. It's been a little challenging but I didn't destroy any parts. The handle on the right side isn't usable in this case but I mounted strong aluminium passenger grips to pick up the bike in case I dropped it. What I do try to avoid...

Tail-1.jpg

Tail-2.jpg

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 2

To be honest: The built-in "grips" won't be of any use as soon as the bike lays down - especially if you are on your own.

• Like 2

Thanks for the picture of the 20mm longer bracket. I was not aware the huzar exhaust mounted the way you show just with a shorter drop plate. I would think the passenger handles would be as useful as grabbing tail. So if grabbing the handles would not work on a fallen bike grabbing the tail would not either. I agree that grabbing the back end of the bike for a bike laid down is probably not a useful way to get the bike up but for just moving the back end over while upright the handles would be useful.

I went with the Dominator high exhaust, which I just installed yesterday. I have HEED rear grab bars and it was important for me to keep those.  I thought it would be a tight fit with the Heed bars, and I was right. But, a simple fix. I took my Heed rear bar off, put it in a vice, and bent the rear L shaped mounting bracket ever so slightly so that the bar itself would sit a little higher against the plastics.  It would have fit without doing this (using elbow grease), but it was resting right against the bar and I wanted a little bit of clearance. No other modifications other than that and I'm quite happy with the look and sound. 

I also put the bike on it's side to check that the pesty stock exhaust bracket is now in a safe sport, which it is. It also sounds great. Throaty, but not obnoxious. A big weight savings too. 

It's the dead of winter here so I can't report on anything other than that at the moment. So far it seems like the right option for me to avoid being forced into a tail tidy and aftermarket tail lights. I also didn't want to cut any plastics, or the stock hanger.

I was also able to keep the pillion foot pegs, which I felt was important so that they offer some pretection when the bike takes a dirt nap, and for mounting my soft luggage.

IMG_6562.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_6556.jpg

IMG_6554.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Can you still strap luggage down to the passenge footpegs with high exhaust like the MIVV or HPCorse? Or will it get burned on the pipe there? 

I never really considered a high exhaust but now R-TECH seems to be bringing out a really nice plastic tail tidy which I am interested in and it would probably accomodate a high exhaust. 

Just now, OK185 said:

Can you still strap luggage down to the passenge footpegs with high exhaust like the MIVV or HPCorse? Or will it get burned on the pipe there? 

I never really considered a high exhaust but now R-TECH seems to be bringing out a really nice plastic tail tidy which I am interested in and it would probably accomodate a high exhaust. 

You can strap lower in the footpegs by using Kriega dirtbike rings, or Mosko moto voile straps

IMG_6879.jpeg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OK185 said:

No issues - HP Corse and Kriega/OTR tie-down brackets (replacing my pillion footpegs)

Footrest Eliminator Kit for use with higher seats Yamaha Tenere 700 Provides an alternative mounting location for the front straps on...

Footrest Eliminator Kit Yamaha Tenere 700 for all Soft luggage like Enduristan, Kriega, Mosko Moto etc. Provides an alternative mounting location…

• Like 1

Nice. I wanted to get these anyway this year. Do you use them with Kriega luggage?

I have Touratech Extreme Bags (Enduristan Blizzard) and a rally seat.

Since there are two versionI guess I will go for the "Rally seat"model  🤔

(Although I am still not 100% sure as passenger footpegs can come in handy from time to time)

Edited by OK185

30 minutes ago, OK185 said:

Nice. I wanted to get these anyway this year. Do you use them with Kriega luggage?

(Although I am still not 100% sure as passenger footpegs can come in handy from time to time)

I dont want to remove my pegs because you will burn your pants on the high exhaust pipes. They are designed to keep your footpegs

42 minutes ago, OK185 said:

I'm using them with Mosko Reckless 40s - and by the way zero exhaust burns, neither on pants, boots, luggage or whatever.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oxxa said:

I dont want to remove my pegs because you will burn your pants on the high exhaust pipes. They are designed to keep your footpegs

My passenger pegs have been off my T7 for over 10k miles with a high exhaust, and zero issues with burned pants. When I slide my feet back on the pegs for spirited riding in paved twisties, the heel of my right boot may lightly touch the pipe. At one time I had some heat wrap at the spot for prevention, but then I removed the wrap as I realized it really wasn't needed.  

20231228_125531.jpg.a6832c00a14e10a6fa106092c01a8e98.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

My passenger pegs have been off my T7 for over 10k miles with a high exhaust, and zero issues with burned pants. When I slide my feet back on the pegs for spirited riding in paved twisties, the heel of my right boot may lightly touch the pipe. At one time I had some heat wrap at the spot for prevention, but then I removed the wrap as I realized it really wasn't needed.  

20231228_125531.jpg.a6832c00a14e10a6fa106092c01a8e98.jpg

Right. Even with big feet/boots AND set-back pegs only your heel might touch the pipe. The HP Corse pipe has a carbon heat shield in this position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Right. Even with big feet/boots AND set-back pegs only your heel might touch the pipe. The HP Corse pipe has a carbon heat shield in this position.

Adding to my above post, when I first installed my Huzar exhaust I fitted the small heat shield from the OEM muffler to the Huzar's mid-pipe as a heel protector thinking that would be necessary.

20220102_090636.jpg.04841eaf15392efcb91125d5d8234703.jpg

On the first ride, as soon as I slid my right foot back on the peg to keep my boot edge from dragging in twisties, I found the heat shield forced my heel outward at an awkward angle. The heat shield came off after that ride. Likely your Corsa mid-pipe and/or heat shield are tucked in more than the Huzar. 

• Like 1

Removing the footpegs will burn MY pants. I didnt say yours. You might ride on pavement where I ride heavy offroad and lean back a lot while standing. Only then the pants will melt even though my hp corse has the carbon heat shield

When I'm riding offroad (which I do regularly), I'm usually wearing my pants inside my boots, unless it's raining. That makes a difference I guess, unless your pants don't have a heat resistant material (some do).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HP Corse and BisonWorks Engineering Tail Tidy (which works with most exhausts) is a clean setup.

20231221_002419.jpg