Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

DYI Radiator Protection Added

Tundratom

My T7 came with a plastic cover and I wanted a bit more, sooo while I wait for my license and since I had plastics off to install crash bars I decided to install a screen between the plastic cover and radiator fins itself.  
First off there are 2 screws, that’s it. However, like many jobs it’s the funky plastic fittings that slows everything down. Take out the screws that are self evident on the radiator cover and then familiarize yourself with these 3 items.  The post that is circled is what the radiator cover slides onto. The second pic shows the two stage ratcheted strap that locks the cover on that post. The third pic shows a bayonet type fitting which I could only remove by pushing from the backside of the radiator cover. If you can, get a spare and cut off the original. If not either you know the trick or you have to coax it off like I did. It’s a PIA.   A7586883-B52B-4472-A49A-C1BD7F559EAF.jpeg.ce555cce4ab2f850e33d78270777239f.jpeg4B42B6FC-4CE1-4F9E-88AD-92ADE1A53E53.jpeg.64025c028bd6f8b53dd707172a3fca3b.jpeg34BFBFD2-76F0-4A18-A519-CF9A62909DDF.jpeg.e9b05f9031d3dcbbfe028e038f935d7a.jpeg

I then bought a 12x24” screen at HD and cut to size. Approximately 12 x 6.5”  Next step was to fasten to backside of plastic radiator cover using zip ties. Lace so the buckle is on outside of the cover. A62100AD-2B3D-40D4-829B-357C1C65C682.jpeg.14cbdb5bb11ec5b0490e628f8a04cfc3.jpeg

27A9FBC7-2A57-4CE8-AF19-47DE37C8728B.png.fba004f5f0f2d685e849b2254edc12e8.png

I used a zip tie in each corner then one top and one bottom of middle (Show in pic).  Good luck. It’s very straight forward. If you have questions drop me a line. 

• Like 3

There’s a lot of material there to prevent air flow - are you confident it won’t overheat?

Although I considered it, my background in testing cfm makes me  confident that there would be no appreciable restriction.  If you have doubt don’t do it.  If you could blow out a candle with an airflow of X and than made a single change by adding that screen, would it prevent the candle from being blown out?  I’m going to hypothesize that the flame would still be extinguished. Will I actually do the test? No. I predict almost no change. In the meantime I  will be monitoring for overheat. 

Too restrictive.

If you ever get any mud on that the small holes will become blocked quickly and it will become even more restrictive.

Get something more open that will not clog with mud.

An open mesh would be much better IMO. 

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, williestreet said:

Too restrictive.

If you ever get any mud on that the small holes will become blocked quickly and it will become even more restrictive.

Get something more open that will not clog with mud.

An open mesh would be much better IMO. 

You saved me some writing, exactly my thought.

• Like 1

That's good material IMO if you're not a mud riding off road hooligan.  As long as its not clogged with road debris it will work fine.  I guess @Tundratomwill report back with findings.  I like the material for the look for sure.  

1 hour ago, Landshark said:

That's good material IMO if you're not a mud riding off road hooligan.  As long as its not clogged with road debris it will work fine.  I guess @Tundratomwill report back with findings.  I like the material for the look for sure.  

But why would you need the extra protection when you don't go to places that might require this add on?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

But why would you need the extra protection when you don't go to places that might require this add on?

Tailgating trucks with twin wheels. 😉my mate’s vfr8 got a rad holed just following another bike. Our roads aren’t the super smooth euro back roads so nice for sports bikes. We’re all masochists here. When we have nice new tarmac, someone will dig a hole in it within weeks. Usually on a bank holiday. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Gravel will eventually ruin your rad fins I suppose.  So this mod would help protect that.  I ride a lot of gravel so I may do this upgrade.

7 hours ago, DuncMan said:

You probably saw my thread on this below? I used stainless mesh which works well. I like the look of your metal sheet but that does look a tad too restrictive for air flow for me. Also, I didn't find removing the cover a problem and wouldn't suggest a need to cut anything off to remove it. There are a couple of videos on YouTube that show how to do it, as I recall.

DuncMan, it probably was what I saw as I have been scouring the Net for good ideas and just recently joined this site.  

• Like 1

As a beginner, the type of riding I will be focused on is gravel and secondary roads, I was not including mud build up in the equation, but I can see that as being a factor for sure.  I had chosen the mesh design because of the paint which would be better than two dissimilar metals  in contact over a long period in a damp environment. Not worried about the screen, those fins are real thin and I would be an idiot to corrode them with a “cheap” mod that came back to bite me via electrolysis. What do others think?  Am I over thinking?

The good news is that because this is a easy and inexpensive mod, I can change out to a different mesh. No pride here. In fact I appreciate the feedback, which is another reason to be on this site. Enjoy the Holiday. 

• Like 1

Dissimilar metals??

You are attaching the screen to the stock plastic guard, not the rad.

There should be no contact with the rad if done correctly.  If you are letting a screen contact the stock rad you are asking for trouble.  Over time vibration will wear a hole in the thin aluminum rad tank or fins.

• Like 2

There is no contact between the two. None. The zip ties are holding it tightly against the plastic guard, but it was a consideration when choosing as I did not know if there was going to be a gap. I thought there might be contact.  That frees me up to change out without concern. Thanks

• 11 months later...

I inserted heavy duty Pet Screen (reinforced fiberglass mesh used for sliding door screen) behind the oem plastic rock guard for improved bug & rock protection.

20200829_231747.jpg

Edited by prowlnS10

I took the same fiber screen material and simply zip tied it externally.

My primary concern is bugs. Mud is rare, and a fair amount of rock and gravel riding.

Not as tidy as you others, but you hardly notice it unless you are looking for it,.

And it only takes a minute or two to cut a fresh piece and replace.

.PXL_20230409_224427600.jpg.6cb618549051593872c327fccdf871ce.jpg

Edited by ahamay
  • Like 2