Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Perun Moto rear rack

Chris1974

I used the OEM Yamaha rear rack last season, but for me it was too big, bulky and heavy. I have been looking for a rear rack that I liked for a long time. Have considered many racks, but none were to my liking.

I was looking for a minimalistic rack which could cary my Givi topcase and should not be a big eye sore when the topbox is not on.

I finally found the rack I was looking for, and it was not even too expensive!

The fit and finish of the parts is great! Installing it was easy. I like it a lot so far! For easy handling and pcking up the bike I installed some grab handles from Ali. I needed to cut off a piece from tha handles and use longer bolts, but I really think they complement eachother.

You can Find the rack here: Perun Moto Rear rack

I combined it with these from Ali: Rear Handles

IMG_20220503_094832.jpg.8fc3553a815d5bda54aa5741259aeb70.jpg

IMG_20220503_094845.jpg.5daade2daf5299b471da5a382ab043ad.jpg

IMG_20220503_094933.jpg.94bd7fcf98944cf2e8c5d422255dd8e2.jpg

IMG_20220503_094941.jpg.62fa91b2695880e88fc306f249a3bc1c.jpg

IMG_20220503_094825.jpg

Edited by Chris1974
  • Like 4

The website  says the rack is only good for 5KG, and only road use. I'll bet the top box in the photos weighs almost 5KG empty. I would be nervous about putting anything very heavy on that rack

• Like 3

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

2 hours ago, Simmons1 said:

The website  says the rack is only good for 5KG, and only road use. I'll bet the top box in the photos weighs almost 5KG empty. I would be nervous about putting anything very heavy on that rack

Yes, well I don't use it to carry heavy stuff and I rarely go offroad. If I do I wil put a drybag on the back and leave the case at home.

Light weight and beauty come at the cost of carrying capacity, I agree. For me this is the best compromise.

Great work! Congratulations. 

May I ask what did you cut from the handles?and how much longer bolts you needed? I have the same handles and I have been thinking about doing the same for some time.. 

Edited by Takata

53 minutes ago, Takata said:

Great work! Congratulations. 

May I ask what did you cut fron the handles?and how much loger bolts you needed? I have the same handles and I have been thinking about doing the same for some time.. 

I cut the stepped parts at the ends of (about 1cm). The bolts I bought were M8x60 I think. About 1cm longer than what was suplied with the rack. But the new depth of the hole is easy to measure if you want to be sure.

bghhh.JPG.f1822704582eb6e5b4f45423e37eefd3.JPG

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Simmons1 said:

I think the 5kg is excluding the topcase btw...

1 hour ago, Chris1974 said:

I think the 5kg is excluding the topcase btw...

Could be but not likely as no 2 different top cases weigh the same empty.  I broke a couple top case racks over the years on my Super Tenere that looked a lot more robust than this one. YMMV 

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

9 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

Could be but not likely as no 2 different top cases weigh the same empty.  I broke a couple top case racks over the years on my Super Tenere that looked a lot more robust than this one. YMMV 

I will find out. I will post here how they hold up.

I have the same rack, but then with the sw-motech top case. Initially very satisfied, but after 1000k the top case already has sagged against the rearfender. No off roading, no heavy loads.  I will ride it till it gives real issues, but it doesn't seem to be very sturdy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deanso said:

I have the same rack, but then with the sw-motech top case. Initially very satisfied, but after 1000k the top case already has sagged against the rearfender. No off roading, no heavy loads.  I will ride it till it gives real issues, but it doesn't seem to be very sturdy.

I am sad to hear that... Hope mine will do a little better... We will see. Maybe I will weld some reinforcement when it happens.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deanso said:

By the way... Did you try and get it replaced under warrenty?

No, not yet. But mainly bc I don't think it's an issue with my version and for now it's not severe enough. So I'll wait a few 1000k and see what happens.

• Like 1

Hum I'm also very interested by this rear rack for same reason.. The OEM is too huge...I have a GIVI Trekker outback 38L and after reading your message I'm not sure about my choice :(

Difficult to say anything definately for now. I haven't ride enough km's yet.

It certainly looks nice in comparising to the other choices you have.

Stock the rack is already very close to the rear bodywork... are you sure it went down further? Must be touching then.

I decides to take my chance and buy it. this is the only one that will allows me to mount my top case in the week (work) and my OS base when off road riding 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:42 PM, Chris1974 said:

Stock the rack is already very close to the rear bodywork... are you sure it went down further? Must be touching then.

Check, that's correct, it almost touches the rear when I first mounted it. Now I have light scratchmarks where it touched the plastic, but nothing major. I have put some rubber between the rack and the plastic and I'm still riding with the top case and I'll keep an eye on it.

I guess I didn't expected it to touch the plastics, if the clearing was a little bit more stock, I don't think it would be an issue.

1 hour ago, jonathanmf said:

Very close indeed. I'll be watch full also

36488D11-930A-4D90-B62E-70EC2B1F8685.jpeg

7A172614-B159-4B8A-AD0D-2A9C663EF364.jpeg

Exactly the same as mine.

• 3 weeks later...

@jonathanmf, nice looking bike, thanks for the clear picture of the gap between fender and plate.

It seems to me you guys have a lot more clearance.

Here's the gap on mine. I've put a piece of rubber of 2mm in between to not scratch up the plastic.

So I guess the gap on mine is about 1 - 1,5 mm.

310982195_2022-06-0412_08_38-.png.1e136390c8564abb07337f0d6a4f398b.png

I do have the side soft pannier racks also attached. Maybe they screw up the alignment somehow.

4000-sides-max.jpg.64c726489bc2b0635e0d9abe4eccf499.jpg

Edited by deanso

12 minutes ago, deanso said:

@jonathanmf, nice looking bike, thanks for the clear picture of the gap between fender and plate.

It seems to me you guys have a lot more clearance.

Here's the gap on mine. I've put a piece of rubber of 2mm in between to not scratch up the plastic.

So I guess the gap on mine is about 1 - 1,5 mm.

310982195_2022-06-0412_08_38-.png.1e136390c8564abb07337f0d6a4f398b.png

I do have the side soft pannier racks also attached. Maybe they screw up the alignment somehow.

4000-sides-max.jpg.64c726489bc2b0635e0d9abe4eccf499.jpg

Hard to see in the picture, but it also might be that your plastic rear cover is not assembeled correctly and is sticking up higher than it should. Looks to me the gap between the taillight and the plastic cover is a lot bigger thn on mine. But that might also be an optical illusion from the camera... Easy check...

When mounting the rear cover ther is a part sticking out on the rear cover that hooks in to the bike. If you missed that it might end up a lot higher...

• Like 3

Hmm when I compare the pictures I see what you mean, something not right there. Thanks a lot Chris!

Update:

That certainly was it! I missed the back clip on my rear fender. Totally my bad, but awesome that it finally fits, thanks again guys!

Edited by deanso
  • Like 2