Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Front Tire Suggestions

PNGL

After logging a little over 800 miles on my Tenere's stock tires, I fully believe they are 80/20 tires. They are 80% awesome on the road and 20% worth a damn offroad. I like to ride a lot of fire roads and forestry roads with the occasional tighter trails thrown in. That said I do ride roughly 60% of the time on the road. I've already order a Motoz Tractionator Adventure for the rear and I need suggestions on a good front tire to match up to it. I'd like something that actually works offroad but is also stable on the highway and in the twisty mountain roads. I know that front tires tend to wear more slowly than rears so I'm not too awful concerned about that, as long as it lasts as long as the rear so I can replace them at the same time. I was looking at the Rallz, but a lot of people are saying that they don't track well on the road, with wobbles and such...
Any suggestions?

• Like 1

"What the hell's a 'farkle'? Oh... I... have all the farkles." 😑🤦🏻‍♂️

I've recently installed a Heidenau K 60 front tire and it works really well.  Just does its job and there's no concern.  Works well riding gravel and also the tarmac.   I can't comment on the longevity yet but I think it will do just fine.

I found the OEM tire to be awful to be frank.

20220519_155623.jpg.035342d9b83c842439e5601bc3da1f0c.jpg 

Edited by Landshark

• Moderators

@PNGL

Here's my impressions of the Trailmax Mission, which was a much better 50/50 tire than the RallZ on the front.  Pic is with 4,817 miles and 5/32" remaining, measured at the center lug.

20220523_063500.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Michelin Anakee Wild.

I now have a Mitas E13 front but i think it's best in loose sand and maybe mud.

I now ordered a set Heidenau K60 Ranger that looks pretty similar to the Anakee Wild but is chaeper and i hope a bit more durable. Front Anakee is fine but rear last just 4500km.

4 hours ago, Landshark said:

I've recently installed a Heidenau K 60 front tire and it works really well.  Just does its job and there's no concern.  Works well riding gravel and also the tarmac.   I can't comment on the longevity yet but I think it will do just fine.

I found the OEM tire to be awful to be frank.

20220519_155623.jpg.035342d9b83c842439e5601bc3da1f0c.jpg 

How does that perform in the cold? I've read that these tires don't do well when it gets cold and/or wet due to their harder compound? I'm not above exploring dirt roads in some slush, so the cold/wet performance is a bit of a concern. Couldn't agree more about the stock tire performance. I can carve corners quite well on the street with them. However, on anything other than hardpacked dirt or well packed down gravel, I feel like I'm riding on ice. Apparently, our forestry service decided to use the 'Rona time to re-gravel a lot of our forestry roads in the GA mountains. I was sliding around everywhere, front and rear, on my 200 mile ride, Friday. A sliding rear can be fun. A sliding front, is terrifying. Also a 30mph foot dab, has my left hip joint a bit sore. These Pirellis gotta go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

@PNGL

Here's my impressions of the Trailmax Mission, which was a much better 50/50 tire than the RallZ on the front.  Pic is with 4,817 miles and 5/32" remaining, measured at the center lug.

20220523_063500.jpg

How has your gravel performance been with this tire? I've read some folks saying that they don't do too well on gravel, presumably because the lugs are somewhat close together.

I have the Anakee Wilds installed.  GREAT set up so far.  I agree with Ray Ride4life, the front is going to last a long time.   The rear Wild has outstanding traction but is going to wear  fast.    Michelin will come out with a Anakee Wild 2 and when they do, I hope they address the rear wearing out too fast.  They should dual compound the rear tire and simple make it last longer.  When I wear out the rear, I will replace it with a Rallz.  Unless I somehow get 3500 or more miles out of the rear.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PNGL said:

How does that perform in the cold? I've read that these tires don't do well when it gets cold and/or wet due to their harder compound? I'm not above exploring dirt roads in some slush, so the cold/wet performance is a bit of a concern. Couldn't agree more about the stock tire performance. I can carve corners quite well on the street with them. However, on anything other than hardpacked dirt or well packed down gravel, I feel like I'm riding on ice. Apparently, our forestry service decided to use the 'Rona time to re-gravel a lot of our forestry roads in the GA mountains. I was sliding around everywhere, front and rear, on my 200 mile ride, Friday. A sliding rear can be fun. A sliding front, is terrifying. Also a 30mph foot dab, has my left hip joint a bit sore. These Pirellis gotta go.

It works as well as any other I've tried as far as a front tire is concerned.  Cold to me is +7 c or 44 F.  The tire isn't as stiff as you may think.  Just a better tread design and probably better compound.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, PNGL said:

How has your gravel performance been with this tire? I've read some folks saying that they don't do too well on gravel, presumably because the lugs are somewhat close together.

Regarding the Trailmax Mission,  it's gravel performance isn't as good as the RallZ, but noticeably better than the oem Pirellis. The onroad manners are tons better than the RallZ, but like all dual purpose tires, tradeoffs are made. If you ride mainly dirt,  I'd go with the RallZ, but since your use is similar to mine, the TMM is a good compromise. I haven't tried the MotoZ GPS on the front yet, but those look interesting as well.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

17 hours ago, Redneckj said:

I have the Anakee Wilds installed.  GREAT set up so far.  I agree with Ray Ride4life, the front is going to last a long time.   The rear Wild has outstanding traction but is going to wear  fast.    Michelin will come out with a Anakee Wild 2 and when they do, I hope they address the rear wearing out too fast.  They should dual compound the rear tire and simple make it last longer.  When I wear out the rear, I will replace it with a Rallz.  Unless I somehow get 3500 or more miles out of the rear.  

How does the Anakee Wild front do on the road? Stable at speed on the highway, stable cornering, etc.

1 minute ago, PNGL said:

How does the Anakee Wild front do on the road? Stable at speed on the highway, stable cornering, etc.

I ride it like it's a road tyre.
On my Crosstourer i had them ones and in the twisties in the German Eifel i lost a mate because he couldn't keep up on his road tyres on his Crosstourer.
If the K60 scout is not available in time i will switch the order to a set Anakee wild and even doubting to do that anyway because i really do like them... on- and offroad.

• Like 1

I just ordered a set of Anakee Wild to start my trip with and will use the K60 Ranger when i'm back. It's too much of a gamble with the unknown Ranger to use on a long trip.
The rear was eaten by drifting and i think fully packed that will be a lot less and when necessary i will find something on the road.

• Like 1

Im going to the Giant Loop Rally in June.  I should be about 1200 miles door to door including some rides at the rally.   Time shall tell how the Michelin tire last.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redneckj said:

Im going to the Giant Loop Rally in June.  I should be about 1200 miles door to door including some rides at the rally.   Time shall tell how the Michelin tire last.  

I did 2 rear tyres and one front in 8 to 9000km. That was somewhere around 50/50 on- / offroad and pretty aggressive riding on all surfaces so 1200mls should me no problem.
But i'm not riding competitions so i'm not throwing a tyre away because the sharp edges are gone.
This is how the rear looked after 4500km. Left is the new Mitas E09 Dakar and right the worn out Anakee Wild
IMG_20220507_153649.jpg.1e7ce79f260bf10999d631524b92d4b7.jpg

Because this topic is about the front so here are 2 pictures of the Anakee Wild compared to a new Mitas E13.

IMG_20220507_162036.jpg.5309585b3aa5417ac308d2115d264fd4.jpgIMG_20220507_162045.jpg.bcfd60f38e3f36d4ff20afb718ec571c.jpg

• Like 1

I think the front Michelin Wild at 5000 miles (8000 km) looks as good as I would expect.   2500 miles on a rear tire is not what I’m looking for.   

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 6:41 PM, PNGL said:

How does that perform in the cold? I've read that these tires don't do well when it gets cold and/or wet due to their harder compound? I'm not above exploring dirt roads in some slush, so the cold/wet performance is a bit of a concern.

My front K60 now has 11k km on it and 4mm of tread left, I'm in Ireland so it is cold and wet most of the time. Temperature range has been from -2 to 25 or so and they have never given me any moments and I like to think that I am not hamfisted. The profile is still good and they will lean eay over onto the side on tarmac with no issues. For the bit of off road that I do, I find they have better side grip than the OEM Pirelis. The rear k60 has 16k km on it and 7 mm of tread left, it's profile has flattened out a bit but it does not affect the handling at all.

20220801_151706.jpg

20220801_151703.jpg

• Like 1

On my trip i needed a change and in Tallinn i found a shopt with a large stock of different brands. Just needed the rear to get home but the front was not the greatest too. That was a set Michelin Anakee Wild and i really love that tyre.... just the price at the moment...
As i said they had a large stock so i chose the Mitas E07 (the plus in the rear) and i think i like the rear but certainly not the front.
In Latvia i even stopped to check my wheel because i thought i had some loose spokes, did adjust it even though i didn't think that little was the problen and it wasn't.
On high(er) speeds it's fine but under 60km/h it's very annoying so when it's gone there will be no more E07 front tyres in my future.
Have a set K60 Ranger in backorder to go on wehen these are finished and betweens some Wilds i had a Mital E13 front with a E09 dakar in the rear. The E13 is great in loose sand but i don't liked it on gravel and other harder surfaces, you have to ride that one very aggressive and that is on public roads/track not always possible.

• 1 month later...

I love tyre threads! So many variations and thoughts.

I had the K60 on my F8Gs and it was the most arse puckering tyre I have ever used. I recall coming down into Lithgow ( NSW ) in the pissing down rain and sleet with a tin top behind me. I don't think I got more than 60km/hr.

I use Pirelli Scorpion Rally exclusively on the front of the T7. A little noisy but I always wear Cat5 ear plugs.

I recently put a 140/80 Rallz on the rear for the B2B and loved it. Great off road and hangs onto the tar pretty well. 

Again, earplugs are a must!

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:19 AM, Rider 101 said:

I love tyre threads! So many variations and thoughts.

I had the K60 on my F8Gs and it was the most arse puckering tyre I have ever used. I recall coming down into Lithgow ( NSW ) in the pissing down rain and sleet with a tin top behind me. I don't think I got more than 60km/hr.

I use Pirelli Scorpion Rally exclusively on the front of the T7. A little noisy but I always wear Cat5 ear plugs.

I recently put a 140/80 Rallz on the rear for the B2B and loved it. Great off road and hangs onto the tar pretty well. 

Again, earplugs are a must!

How is the Pirelli Scorpion Rally for a front tire?  I have the Rallz front tire on the bike now.   Off road it is awesome.  On road it is great till about 70mph.  After 70 it just gets worse and worse.  Passing someone, if I hit 85 mph,  it is down right scary.  

The Pirelli is a better tyre on the front. I don't push speeds to high but at 125 - 135km/hr it is predictable. I have just done 3000km of mixed tar, gravel, forest roads, and logging track. Still life left in it. Probably another 2000km.

As I said previously I use it exclusively.  have a new one in the garage ready and when it goes on I will order another.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I’ve worn out two MOTOZ RALLZ ft tires and I would not recommend them. The traction is good, but the tire gets very unstable over 75 mph. Scary at higher speeds. My favorite front is the Pirelli  Scorpio Wild. Awesome off road, good on the road.  wears funny but the price is good so just  change them often. My riding buddy’s swear by them too.  I’ve been running some D908s on the rear and am happy them. Good traction. Reasonably quiet. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Richarddd said:

I’ve worn out two MOTOZ RALLZ ft tires and I would not recommend them. The traction is good, but the tire gets very unstable over 75 mph. Scary at higher speeds. My favorite front is the Pirelli  Scorpio Wild. Awesome off road, good on the road.  wears funny but the price is good so just  change them often. My riding buddy’s swear by them too.  I’ve been running some D908s on the rear and am happy them. Good traction. Reasonably quiet. 

Richard, could you post a link for the Pirelli Scorpio Wild?  I'm interested in checking it out, but the closest I find to that model is the Scorpion Trail II.

Good to hear the D908 is performing well as it costs around $50 less than the MotoZ RallZ, which I've been running with a Dunlop TrailMax Mission up front with good results. Last TMM front yielded 6,000 miles with probably 5-600 left on it and the RallZ rear was changed at 6,600.

Thanks.

Sorry I meant to write Scorpio Rally. The more aggressive version not the STR that comes on the bike. 

• Thanks 1