Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Boots

Stevoh

So...I'm currently wearing Forma Terra Evo boots about 2 years old, love em they broke in quite quickly and have coped a hiding and still are in pretty good condition, no need to replace, the only gripe I have with them is they seem to fill up with water on quite small creek crossings and cause ways, anything bigger and you may as well be wearing Sandals!

So I'm after recommendations for Adventure style boots that are more resistant to water ingress and help stop riding all day with two marshmallows on the footpegs.

IMG_20220627_101318924_HDR.jpg

Edited by Stevoh

I like the Aplinestars Toucans. Waterproof, comfy and fit under the legs of my Roadcrafter and my Motoport Kevlar mesh. Decent armor but not a true MX boot in terms of protection. 

• Like 3

Alpinestars Tech 7 Drystars

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

18 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

Alpinestars Tech 7 Drystars

How were they to break in?

Edited by Stevoh

Not an issue.

• Like 1

Alpinestars Tech 7 - were still waterproof after 2 years until somthing broke.

The only proviso is they are only waterproof with over the boot pants, nothing can stop water going in the top.....  😉

• Like 1

No, water over the top will always get in.

I clean mine and give them a squirt of Kiwi protector

Create an invisible shield that helps prevent water and dirt from penetrating your shoes and accessories, while still allowing them to breathe.

I've no issues with water over the top, sometimes you just have to walk the crossings, but I had two full boots just crossing the causeway coming out Wollombi heading through Yengo!

New boots asap.

I never found any MX/  adventure boits that didn't let in water. So for years I have used Sealskinz waterproof socks, water will get into boots but they will keep your feet dry.

• Like 2

I haven't tested them in the water yet, but my Rev'It Expedition GTX boots are very comfortable while being nearly as protective as a motocross boot. They are reported to be quite waterproof.

Rev'It Boots 1.jpg

Rev'It Boots Exposed 1.jpg

• Like 4

'21 Tênêrê 700, '20 WR250R, '18 FJR1300

The fact that there's a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven should tell you something about anticipated traffic.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:30 PM, electric_monk said:

I never found any MX/  adventure boits that didn't let in water. So for years I have used Sealskinz waterproof socks, water will get into boots but they will keep your feet dry.

Pricey socks, but a lot cheaper than a new pair of boots, I might give em a go.👍

Stevoh,  My Forma  Adventure boots have served me well for many years and still going ....with enough protection and waterproof mate.

• Like 1

Hmmm, wondering why mine aren't so waterproof?

The Terra Evo are a little different to the Adventure.  That may be why?

• Like 1

I think you go that fast with your new exhaust the water gets scared and parts before you get to it 😉😉

• Dislike 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some cheap TCX Baja Waterproof Boots-1

I don't know how they fair in the water but I'll stop at a creek this week and immerse them halfway and report back.

597451213_bikeboots.jpg.df64b63f2a73a80a85d7f3f14e8a1e29.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Help!

While the topic is all  'a - boot'  boots,  here's one for you guys with lots of recent experience in many different boots:

Still on the waiting list for an ADV bike,  and putting together a set of riding gear...  just bought Alpinestars Corozal from revzilla.  I am impressed with:

- the comfort

- the fit

- the level of protection they provide

Here is my concern....  they are so unbelievably stiff in the ankle, that I cannot pivot my foot up or down.  Do they need break - in, or should I return them for something with at least a little flexibility?  

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

55 minutes ago, chadio said:

:...  just bought Alpinestars Corozal from revzilla.  I am impressed with:

- the comfort

- the fit

Here is my concern....  they are so unbelievably stiff in the ankle, that I cannot pivot my foot up or down.  Do they need break - in, or should I return them for something with at least a little flexibility?  

I’ve had Corozal boots. Though they were very comfortable and one of the more flexible boots I’ve owned. Great feel of shifter and rear brake. Reasonably protective but not the best - the lateral (folding) ankle support is weak. Friend is recovering from a rolled ankle after dropping his 890. Buy a boot dryer or they will grow a stink that even a week in your freezer can’t kill. 

I recently wrote this up. Gaerne G-Dakar (Gore-Tex) vs Alpinstar Tech-7. Adventure vs Enduro.  Good boots can save your riding season. Absolute minimum is good ankle support. 
The Gaerne G-Dakar is a proven water-proof (by me) Adventure boot. It has a hinge that limits flexion and prevents the boot from folding sideways easily. A bit soft so it could be crushed. I can stand on the pegs for extended periods - It's the minimum I'll ride with.
The Alpinstar Tech-7 is a good Enduro boot. More supportive and better all-round protection. It takes some time to adjust your riding style with heavier boots - to shift easily and to feel / modulate the rear brake, but once you do you won't go back to un-supportive boots. They're not waterproof so buy Gore-Tex socks.
Know your foot and find a boot that fits! SIDI generally fit narrow, Alpinstars are wider but Gaerne fits my wide foot the best. Fit over Style!
Proper riding technique helps too. Toes in can save you from backward-foot syndrome and stepping wide from a falling bike can prevent crush / drag injuries.

E83464E6-23DB-42B1-BDD6-F9954C532CF9.jpeg

38DD0BDB-DB31-4AF2-B157-B54E27775363.jpeg

Edited by Black99S
  • Like 2

So far my SIDI Crossfire 3 TA's have been worth every penny.  A couple nasty dismounts, and no sprain tears or breaks. They also felt "broken in" right out of the box, maybe thanks to the mechanical pivots. Excellent shift/braking feel for such protective boots, especially compared to true MX boots. Been very comfy on 800km day trips too.

Also no need to carry a Spot locator, search and rescue will find you from the squeaking they make!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Garne Fastback enduro,  just purchased and very impressed. No issues and excellent protection. Made in Italy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Black99S said:

I’ve had Corozal boots. Though they were very comfortable and one of the more flexible boots I’ve owned. Great feel of shifter and rear brake. Reasonably protective but not the best - the lateral (folding) ankle support is weak. Friend is recovering from a rolled ankle after dropping his 890. Buy a boot dryer or they will grow a stink that even a week in your freezer can’t kill. 

I recently wrote this up. Gaerne G-Dakar (Gore-Tex) vs Alpinstar Tech-7. Adventure vs Enduro.  Good boots can save your riding season. Absolute minimum is good ankle support. 
The Gaerne G-Dakar is a proven water-proof (by me) Adventure boot. It has a hinge that limits flexion and prevents the boot from folding sideways easily. A bit soft so it could be crushed. I can stand on the pegs for extended periods - It's the minimum I'll ride with.
The Alpinstar Tech-7 is a good Enduro boot. More supportive and better all-round protection. It takes some time to adjust your riding style with heavier boots - to shift easily and to feel / modulate the rear brake, but once you do you won't go back to un-supportive boots. They're not waterproof so buy Gore-Tex socks.
Know your foot and find a boot that fits! SIDI generally fit narrow, Alpinstars are wider but Gaerne fits my wide foot the best. Fit over Style!
Proper riding technique helps too. Toes in can save you from backward-foot syndrome and stepping wide from a falling bike can prevent crush / drag injuries.

E83464E6-23DB-42B1-BDD6-F9954C532CF9.jpeg

38DD0BDB-DB31-4AF2-B157-B54E27775363.jpeg

I currently have forma adventures and they have been good, but support while standing is lacking and I want to get something with a much stiffer sole.

I am considering both of these.  I have tried a pair of the Tech7 on locally and the 44 fit me pretty well.

No way to try the gaerne Dakars on before purchase so I would be really interested in what size Gaerne you have and what A stars gives you the similar fit.  My forma are 44.  

I have read some people say you need one size large Gaerne and others have said the exact opposite.

• Like 2

Gaerne is just like Sidi an Italian boot and the Italians have small feet.
I had Gaerne touring boots before i went offroading and i needed a size bigger, the Sidi Adventure 2 i have now is even 2 sizes bigger.

19 hours ago, chadio said:

Help!

While the topic is all  'a - boot'  boots,  here's one for you guys with lots of recent experience in many different boots:

Still on the waiting list for an ADV bike,  and putting together a set of riding gear...  just bought Alpinestars Corozal from revzilla.  I am impressed with:

- the comfort

- the fit

I have the slightly lower version, Belize. And couldn’t believe people said they were comfortable when I got them.  Stiff as $%&^. But I wore them in straight away by keeping them wet, using leather soap, and wearing 3 pairs of socks and larger insoles. Agony for two or three days walking around in work. Put normal insoles back in after and they were great. Seriously comfortable boots. Oh and I lubricated the “hinge” on the ankle to stop them squeaking.  Proper waterproof too.