Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Acerbis tank and steering damper

łorsoł

On 10/15/2022 at 10:04 AM, williestreet said:

A while back someone had a thread on heating/bending their tank. 

I can't remember if it was on this forum or maybe adventure rider so sorry I can't give instructions, but I saved a few pics and they are self explanatory.

Looks like a fairly easy fix if you take your time and are patient.

While I'm on this thread, that last bit is key. I was impatient while putting pressure on it after heating it up, which was the main (only) problem. I would spend 1-2 minutes heating it up, and then an insignificant time applying pressure and letting it cool down. You have to press and hold constant pressure for a lot longer, essentially until it's cool to the touch, which winds up being 5-7 minutes. Understandably this is self-explanatory to some/most, but my lack of patience omitted me from that group.

We used a tire spoon, which worked pretty well. We tackled the area in thirds, starting with the outer two thirds first, because there is a sharp angle on the outsides that is helpful to reduce first. After that, pressing the middle section inward is easy.

I think it's been mentioned already, but it doesn't hurt to repeat that the tank swells when it's full, so make sure you account for that, plus any shifting that might occur. 5+ mm of clearance will give you peace of mind.

And y'all need to send emails to Acerbis about this. I blew $15 at Harbor Freight on a heat gun to get this done, which is some BS.

• Like 1

advgoats.com