Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best Heated Grips?

BillT7

Hi All!

Is there a thread with a discussion of the pros & cons of various brands of heated grips for the T7?

I've found some specifically referencing one type or another & more about getting them installed.  Wondering if there is a chat about which work well, ease of install, preferred, etc.

Is there any real reason to not just go with the Yamaha heated grips?

Thanks for any general feedback on this item!

I think Yamaha have withdrawn the official grips

i fitted Oxford 

2 hours ago, BillT7 said:

Is there any real reason to not just go with the Yamaha heated grips?

Don’t. Even if you can find them. I got a set for my T7, and they are not very good heated grips and are also very hard. If I had to do it again, I would put a set of grip heater coils under a set of good MX grips and call it a day. 

I might just do that anyway and ditch the Yamaha ones.  Any temps below 50 F they are worthless. 

• Like 1

I am using Oxfords on the T7. They were very simple to install and work great.  Its the first time I have used them.

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Most people seem to have either Oxfords or Yamaha, I went with Komine brand (same as Whites), the reason being I wasn't keen on the Yamaha price or the reviews at the time, and the Oxfords have a large controller which I wasn't keen on, happy so far, I haven't used the others so can't comment on how they perform but no issues from others who have them that I've ridden with, only negative on the Yamaha grips that I've heard is they are not quite grippy enough. The Komine grips are super grippy, easy to install.

08-300_bk.jpg

Komine EK-300 12V Heated Grips for Motorcycles have their very own built-in controller to avoid the added accessories on your dash.

• Like 1

Bugger heated grips. I had them on my F800 and they really only kept your palms warm. On frosty mornings my fingers were still cold.

I am considering these. No need to mess around with wiring, taking old grips of etc.

https://www.zarkie.com.au/heated-gloves/battery-powered-gloves/?v=3a1ed7090bfa

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I've had the same thoughts, I don't know anyone who has them, happy to hear comments on them.

I am 100% happy with my Yamaha heated grips after making the surface a bit grippier with some grip tape.  Plenty of heat and cant stand the highest setting for too long with gloves on. I dont know why people were complaining about them not being hot enough.  

• Like 2

I used the whites moto ones on my tenere. Integrated controls and reasonable heat. Not as hot as the genuine Yamaha grips on the Mt-09  but still good enough. Wish they were 5mm longer though so I didn’t have to trim the end weights down.

18 minutes ago, Buggy Nate said:

I used the whites moto ones on my tenere. Integrated controls and reasonable heat. Not as hot as the genuine Yamaha grips on the Mt-09  but still good enough. Wish they were 5mm longer though so I didn’t have to trim the end weights down.

The Komine grips come with rubber spacers to cover the difference.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

The Komine grips come with rubber spacers to cover the difference.

Yeah I’ll just machine the end weights down a few mil

I've had the Oxford heated grips on my T7 for awhile now and while they work great as far as heat output goes, the grips themselves are on the hard side and uncomfortable after a long day's ride.

I'm going to pull the Oxford grips and use something like Heat Demons with softer grips.  I have a pair of heated gloves that work great, especially on the back of the hands and finger tips, which is where heated grips aren't really effective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seventh Son said:

I've had the Oxford heated grips on my T7 for awhile now and while they work great as far as heat output goes, the grips themselves are on the hard side and uncomfortable after a long day's ride.

I'm going to pull the Oxford grips and use something like Heat Demons with softer grips.  I have a pair of heated gloves that work great, especially on the back of the hands and finger tips, which is where heated grips aren't really effective.

That's exactly what i did after having oxfords on my DR for years...I installed heat demons with pillow top grips and love them! So I went right to the heat demons with the T7.  I prefer the smaller diameter grip of the demons over the oxfords and much softer grips. Super easy grip install with rubbing alcohol. So easy in fact I switched some bars out yesterday and and demons still had plenty of adhesion to stick to the new bars w/ no issues.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seventh Son said:

I’ve read about this too and haven’t mounted the oxfords. Currently using hot wired heated glove liners w 2x larger gloves to accommodate. They work great.

• Like 1

So, for my two penn'orth... I have a set of Yamaha grips on my MT09 and the Oxford ones on my T7. The Oxford ones are way way warmer - on a cold 0630 commute , even with handguards (yes my MT09 has handguards, for this very reason!) the T7 is my preferred ride. Stuff the Yamaha grips, get anything but!

After having run a couple sets of Oxfords on my Super Ténéré, decided to try Koso Apollo Heated Grips on the T7 (this model: AM111030, need 130 mm length). My post about it here.

If you want to connect to the available auxiliary electrical connections on the T7, you need Sumitomo MT 090-3-pin 2.3mm Male/Female connector. Lots of helpful info in this post.

Heated gloves might keep your hands warmer, but they won't do you any good sitting at home. Heated grips are better than nothing and they're always available.

I'm quite happy with the Koso Apollo grips and the 5 heat settings in 20% increments. The one-way toggle control is rudimentary, but it works. I would get them again.

• Like 3

Hey Boondocker!  I chased your link to your earlier comments re: installing the Koso Apollo grips on your T7 last October.  That got me digging around, and I found a good set of reviews on the Fortnine.ca bike parts site (I'm in Alberta, Canada).  A couple guys had install issues, one had a fail of the switch after a while (wires came loose inside), a guy who posted a vid there sorta liked them but thought they were too pricey for just the thumb switch option, however, most of the 17 reviews (some T7 riders included) gave them lots of stars and like them plenty.

Having read everything posted here so far (thanks to ALL for contributing from the seat-of-the-pants experience with heated grips since I kicked off this thread), I'm favouring grips with an integrated controller, like the Koso Apollo set.  I've been chasing everything I've learned here all over the internet and found more info and ratings in other places as well.  Despite the popularity of the Oxfords, I'm bugged by the clunky, separate controller.  I'd rather keep my bars as clean as I can.  Some of the other integrated types I've found also have a big block sticking down from the left grip as the switch package that looks like real left leg digger in some off-road awkward situations.

The Komines look about equally as clean as the Kosos, but the Kosos are available right here in Canada & Fortnine has them at a great price.

I knew didly about heated grips when I started this post, not sure I could give a class on them, but I am fully confident in making my own choice...which are the Koso Apollo, 130mm set.  Once I get my new ride in Sept., I'll get these mounted and give some seat of the pants feedback of my own.  Thanks plenty to everyone here who has upped my knowledge on this hardware!!

On 7/5/2022 at 2:10 AM, BillT7 said:

Hey Boondocker!  I chased your link to your earlier comments re: installing the Koso Apollo grips on your T7 last October.  That got me digging around, and I found a good set of reviews on the Fortnine.ca bike parts site (I'm in Alberta, Canada).  A couple guys had install issues, one had a fail of the switch after a while (wires came loose inside), a guy who posted a vid there sorta liked them but thought they were too pricey for just the thumb switch option, however, most of the 17 reviews (some T7 riders included) gave them lots of stars and like them plenty.

Having read everything posted here so far (thanks to ALL for contributing from the seat-of-the-pants experience with heated grips since I kicked off this thread), I'm favouring grips with an integrated controller, like the Koso Apollo set.  I've been chasing everything I've learned here all over the internet and found more info and ratings in other places as well.  Despite the popularity of the Oxfords, I'm bugged by the clunky, separate controller.  I'd rather keep my bars as clean as I can.  Some of the other integrated types I've found also have a big block sticking down from the left grip as the switch package that looks like real left leg digger in some off-road awkward situations.

The Komines look about equally as clean as the Kosos, but the Kosos are available right here in Canada & Fortnine has them at a great price.

I knew didly about heated grips when I started this post, not sure I could give a class on them, but I am fully confident in making my own choice...which are the Koso Apollo, 130mm set.  Once I get my new ride in Sept., I'll get these mounted and give some seat of the pants feedback of my own.  Thanks plenty to everyone here who has upped my knowledge on this hardware!!

I’ll second this. I really dislike the big Oxford controller and the number of button pushes to get full heat. Kosos Apollo has nice easy to reach, unobtrusive control. Like the Yamaha, one button push and your on, turn it down as the day gets warmer. Apollo gets my vote!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have had Koso Apollo grips installed for about 2 years and 9500 miles.  I love them. I do wish they were wider, and the led and button location is silly to me, the part that takes up space should line up with the notch between your thumb and the grip, but it wants to be rocked so it lives where your thumb wants to live.  Bad ergonomics imo.

The adjustments are good, I do use the various settings. Full power is only needed with heavy gloves insulating you from the heat.

I do like that they don't have a handlebar clamp on set of buttons or display, I have plenty of crap clamped on there, I like the integrated LED and button, just not where it is.

I love my Oxford Adventure heated grips.   Proper size to fit the T7.    If you want the hottest grips available, use the AME heated grips.  They are crazy hot.  These are the grips most snow bikers use.   They are also more motocross shaped too.     The  Oxfords are larger in diameter than the AME's.  Some people like the larger diameter grips and some folks will like the AME's.    I had the AME's fitted to a previous 990 Adventure and could only use them on low.    The AME controller is super small, compact and waterproof.    Good luck with your installation just make sure you install the grips with JB Weld.   Best heated grip glue period!  🤪

I have Oxford grips and they are hot enough for anything I would ride in, but there is truth in heated grips not keeping the entirety of your hands warm. Hand guards help, but when I was riding in 5C or so earlier in the season, the outside of my hands were still pretty F^*@#%^! cold. I had no idea the temps would drop where I was riding that much.

On 7/4/2022 at 5:25 PM, Boondocker said:

Heated gloves might keep your hands warmer, but they won't do you any good sitting at home. Heated grips are better than nothing and they're always available.

There is 100% truth in this as well though. There have been countless times where I didn't think the temperatures would drop enough to warrant bringing heated gloves (if I had them...), but low and behold it's suddenly 15C and I'm turning my grips on low or medium.

All in all, I'm happy I went with heated grips. If I was gifted heated gloves, I would use them in the earlier and later parts of the season, but I would probably reach for my other gloves for the most part and be happy with heated grips.

I must say, the thing that is thoroughly annoying me about my Oxford heated grips is that the glue on my left grip has failed twice now. I used the glue that came with the grips, which has been holding fine on the throttle side, but it came loose on the clutch side after a couple of months of abrupt torquing on the grips while riding off-road. I re-glued it with Gorilla super glue, which held for another couple of months, then came loose again. I still haven't bothered to re-glue it. Could safety wire it, but it just seems ugly and like it shouldn't be necessary in the first place.