Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mileage Question

roygilbo

2021 Tenere 700 with Camel Tank and ECU Flash mileage question:  trying to plan for a long trip in northern BC and into the Yukon with a few stretches with no services, and wondering  what kind of mileage (kilometers for us Canucks) I can expect.  I'm told that mileage in cold weather is much better than hot weather, and I'm expecting warm/hot.  Any rough estimates are welcome.  I know, I should have already done this test myself... thanks!  (I plan to buy a Armadillo Fuel Bag for peace of mind).  

Such a loaded question. 
I have gotten anywhere from 35 to 70 mpg. Speed is the killer of mpg. 
My worst was around 35mpg going 80-85 with a strong headwind best has been around 70mpg cruising mountain roads between 30-50 mph. 

Edited by mpatch

3 hours ago, roygilbo said:

mileage (kilometers for us Canucks) I can expect.  I'm told that mileage in cold weather is much better than hot weather

I would guess the F/I would give it a richer mixture when its cold out (and leaner at altitude and/or hot out)

@mpatch is 100% right about speed and mileage....

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Ive been testing for a upcoming trip with 381km with no fuel, Ive ran it empty a few times, pretty constantly just under 280kms on stock tank, with 76km or so after the light starts blinking.  This is mixed riding, some commuting up to 110-115 km, some gravel  throwing hooligan, etc, tried to mix it up a bit. BTW, pretty flat around here

I have a giant loop fuel bladder, 2 gal. or 7.6lt and I got 418km to empty with that.  Im sure if you cruised consistently under 100kph you would get much better milage, I just tried to be realistic about how I ride to get a better idea.

M/T at 279, fuel gauge show extra 2gal. put in

279km.jpg.6e565096bf68a397b254fa272f372753.jpg

M/T distance on fuel light

78_9km.jpg.6089aa9e0504016d4e1279d156ac059e.jpg

Total with 2 gal. add on, was still running, but had to be on fumes! Again gauge show extra 2 gal in.

418km.jpg.da0f6a2819d408f6d86a3f08c1496e78.jpg

Edited by toddiscdn

My '21 T7 has no flash or aftermarket exhaust. I average 4.2-4.5 liters/100 km on and off pavement combined. I have a Camel tank. Haven't tried running the two tanks dry but in theory I should be able to go 475 km. There's nowhere on Hwy 37 or the Alaska Hwy. where gas stations are that far apart. Watson Lake to Ross River was 400+ km. if I recall correctly so I made it fine. North Canol out and back from Ross River might require the Armadillo. Next time I go north I want to ride the Nahanni road but that's about 600 km round trip from Watson Lake so will have to take some extra.

Enjoy the trip! Yukon and northern B.C. are fantastic!

Same set up. Camel tank, camel

exhaust & brain flash plus my excitable wrist has seen me averaging  5.4 ltrs/100km over a long period with a solid mix of highway, twisties, FSR’s & trail riding. 
 Squeeze both tanks full & I’m confident getting an easy 400km range under most conditions. 
  As said above, worst mileage is at highway speeds above 110km/hr

Coming up the Alaska Highway the biggest distance between definite gas stations is between Toad River to Watson Lake, which is 325 km (but it is a beautiful downhill ride from Toad River to the Liard River Hot Springs~120km, which also might have gas) .  In any case the range of the T7 is awesome and when pinched one can get 3.8L / 100 by slowing down to around 90 km/h. I ride around the north a lot on my T7 and carry a 1 gal rotopax just in case. Of course if you want to explore the North Canol road or the Nahanni Range road then you have to start hanging milk jugs full of gas around your bike! 😆 Oh ya, don't forget to fill up at Pink Mountain between Fort St. John and Fort Nelson.

The biggest issue for riding around the north this summer has been rain and mosquitos. The mosquitos are insane! Me, I going to be soon riding DOWN the Alaska Highway to get away from the bugs and rain!

I can easily get 400km out of one full standard tank. Usually my fuel reserve starts flashing around 330km.

My average mileage  over 3500km (mixed riding city/twisties/highway) is 3.76l/100km.

Most effective speed in terms of fuel efficiency should be around 80-90km/h on the highway.

My lowest was 3.3l/100km - riding between the trucks on the highway, which do around 95 km/h (T7 speedo, effectively 85-90).

You see, I am very tame on the throttle.

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

I can easily get 400km out of one full standard tank. Usually my fuel reserve starts flashing around 330km.

My average mileage  over 3500km (mixed riding city/twisties/highway) is 3.76l/100km.

Most effective speed in terms of fuel efficiency should be around 80-90km/h on the highway.

My lowest was 3.3l/100km - riding between the trucks on the highway, which do around 95 km/h (T7 speedo, effectively 85-90).

You see, I am very tame on the throttle.

Wow, that is super tame ... 🤔 ... very skilled.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ludo_the_genius said:

Wow, that is super tame ... 🤔 ... very skilled.

It might be because I'm kind of a "hypermiler" on my cars as well. It changes how you behave in traffic somehow: Keep a steady pace, use engine breaking, smooth acceleration. No problem as long as you're not tailgating. 3.7l/100km is when I rev it up occasionally for more fun. 3.3 is when I'm really careful.

A friend of mine is of similar kind: He could get more than 300km per charge out of a Zero SR/F (on country roads, not inner city traffic, as it's advertised).

Definitely I'm NOT considering a WR or an Acerbis tank for range 😉

Edited by Tenerider
  • Haha 1

I do something around 400km as well, maybe a little less. All stock and with AX41 tyres. 

But I also drive my V8 around 10L/100km, most of the time 😉

Im very happy you guys can get that,  well over 100 kms more than I do, I just have no concept as to how I could do it consistently. Possible , maybe, but I think Id not enjoy it, distances are too long here to plod along at that pace for me.

No offence as I think its great that people can do that, but each rider should try it on his own as everyone turns the wrist differently, terrain varies, etc, etc, and lots will not get as bad of mileage as I do , nor as good as others.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toddiscdn said:

Im very happy you guys can get that,  well over 100 kms more than I do, I just have no concept as to how I could do it consistently. Possible , maybe, but I think Id not enjoy it, distances are too long here to plod along at that pace for me.

No offence as I think its great that people can do that, but each rider should try it on his own as everyone turns the wrist differently, terrain varies, etc, etc, and lots will not get as bad of mileage as I do , nor as good as others.  

That's a good point. We are living in a very densely populated area, and there is no comparison to the States or Canada by any means in terms of distances. It's easier to get such mileage when you don't have to do long distances on boring highways.

But if it's necessary, it can be done. I usually have average fuel consumption displayed on the dash, and reset it every tank stop.

In Europe, we are currently experiencing the hottest,dryest period which has ever been recorded. I try to stay low in terms of CO2 output, gives me a somewhat better conscience and it can be fun trying to get a higher mileage.

But let's be honest: Most riding we do is for pleasure, and cruising around in 6th for 5 hours, maintaining the same speed all the time only gives pleasure if you are a masochist 😁

• Like 1

I agree with what mpatch said earlier.  Speed will kill your MPG.  My ecu is stock.  While loaded and running 80-85 going to the Giant Loop rally I got 38mpg-40 mpg.   Normal riding around town and forest roads the bike gets 50-52 mpg.  Another GREAT way to carry an extra gallon of fuel is the Giant Loop Armadillo bag.   

giant_loop_armadillo_bag_3_gallon.jpg

Like the rugged critter that is this bag's namesake, the Giant Loop Armadillo Bag is tough enough to withstand the harshest conditions. Armadillo Bags…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is brand new so I'm still riding tame and keeping revs below 4700 for break in. Yesterday I wanted to see how the fuel gauge worked and I was surprised. It was a lot of highway at 65/100, fairly slow twisty road and dirt trails in my local OHV park. At 150/241 (miles/km) I went from 3 bars to two, at 167/267 I went to one bar, so I decided I better head to a gas station, at 180/290 the one bar started flashing, 2/3 later I got gas. 2.93 gallons and the bike supposedly holds 4.2! So 182/293 divided by 2.93 is 62/100 mpg. Which means to me that I could have gone another 80/129 before running out of gas. IMHO that is not a very accurate fuel gauge! I can live with it. Knowing the numbers. But it seems strange that I can ride with that flashing gauge for another 40/65 before really worrying about it.

So, is the gauge dependably not accurate?

Edited by Husafreak
  • Like 1

Nope, it is dependable as a rock. I pretty consistently see 180 miles before the light flashes (and 3 gal fill). Pretty conservative to have 1.2 gallon left in reserve, but I have not been brave enough to see how far I can go. You never know how low/high the fuel pickup is in the tank...

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

2 hours ago, Husafreak said:

Hey thanks! As long as it starts flashing at about 3 gallons every time I'm good. 

It does. It's by no means linear, as you observed, but you'll always have about 3 gallons/4 liters left when it starts flashing. This means at least 100 km left to go, even if you push her really hard.

• Like 2

Mine flashes ‘cos it wants attention. 😁 certainly not because I need fuel.  The mpg is accurate on the clock though. I average 60-65 in normal use. That’s with 100mph blasts etc (def drinks it above 80 though as said above. ) on private roads officer. 😉
Ive still yet to fit my acerbis  as it’s so good, for about 250 miles already 

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

Mine flashes ‘cos it wants attention. 😁 certainly not because I need fuel.  The mpg is accurate on the clock though. I average 60-65 in normal use. That’s with 100mph blasts etc (def drinks it above 80 though as said above. ) on private roads officer. 😉
Ive still yet to fit my acerbis  as it’s so good, for about 250 miles already 

True, the mpg gauge is very accurate!

• Like 1