Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Better Seat?

Hibobb

After doing a long road trip of almost 4K miles a new wider seat is pretty much necessary for me. Can anyone give more details about the sargent seat- if anyone has one can they measure the width or tell me if its taller lower or same as stock? I want to get one but need to know these specs which arent on the site. Otherwise I may end up going with a one piece from SC but like the idea of just swapping the front for longer trips vs off road riding

1 hour ago, vagrant318 said:

After doing a long road trip of almost 4K miles a new wider seat is pretty much necessary for me. Can anyone give more details about the sargent seat- if anyone has one can they measure the width or tell me if its taller lower or same as stock? I want to get one but need to know these specs which arent on the site. Otherwise I may end up going with a one piece from SC but like the idea of just swapping the front for longer trips vs off road riding

The Sargent front seat I had for a few weeks was the same height as my T7's OEM seat, unlike the SC one piece which was actually taller in spite of SC's claim. The Sargent was wider at the rear but narrowed to stock width at the front, so no difference when putting a foot down at a stop if you slid forward.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

The Sargent front seat I had for a few weeks was the same height as my T7's OEM seat, unlike the SC one piece which was actually taller in spite of SC's claim. The Sargent was wider at the rear but narrowed to stock width at the front, so no difference when putting a foot down at a stop if you slid forward.

Why'd you get rid of the Sargent?

8 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

Why'd you get rid of the Sargent?

It had a distinct comfort pocket further back than where I normally sat, so I found myself sitting kind of on an awkward edge most of the time. I'd have kept it if not for that. 

• 1 month later...

After trying a Cool Cover seat topper (better but not a long ride solution) and an Airhawk seat cushion (not a fan except for Highway slab)

I bought a used Corbin from EBay & it’s a lot more supportive for longer days in the saddle 

IMG_5031.jpeg.27ef4304ac9b6aa4d17fb287f3ef7ace.jpegIMG_5032.jpeg.f062e33078bba33b464201edcc2fd559.jpeg

Edited by JB700

My sofa is the Seat Concepts Comfort Tall (one-peace). With that I'm ready for 1000 miles. It's taller, clearly, but I can still just flat-foot with it.

With my head somewhat more up in the wind I experience slightly more wind noise with the SC.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with the oem seat with 'air-cooling' cover - particularly after having changed the rear spring to 90nm (higher and softer seating position with less rebound needed).

9 hours ago, JB700 said:

After trying a Cool Cover seat topper (better but not a long ride solution) and an Airhawk seat cushion (not a fan except for Highway slab)

I bought a used Corbin from EBay & it’s a lot more supportive for longer days in the saddle 

IMG_5031.jpeg.27ef4304ac9b6aa4d17fb287f3ef7ace.jpeg

Glad you found something that works. I have reviewed the SC comfort one piece and thought it was great for long days in the saddle until I got in the SC Comfort touring DIT kit. It is 13" wide and is even better for long days. Nothing is a comfortable as my Yamaha Venture pillow top seat but a Tenere 700 wasn't designed as touring bike. it is an ADV bike. I just don't want my butt to hurt on long rides on the T7. Check out MotoSkiveez, they target the problem areas even on the stock seat. Way cheaper than a new seat.

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

+1 on the skiveez, except on hot days! 

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

8 minutes ago, NeilW said:

Glad you found something that works. I have reviewed the SC comfort one piece and thought it was great for long days in the saddle until I got in the SC Comfort touring DIT kit. It is 13" wide and is even better for long days. Nothing is a comfortable as my Yamaha Venture pillow top seat but a Tenere 700 wasn't designed as touring bike. it is an ADV bike. I just don't want my butt to hurt on long rides on the T7. Check out MotoSkiveez, they target the problem areas even on the stock seat. Way cheaper than a new seat.

Thanks

Yep, after 2 x 10 hour days in the standard T7 saddle....... I was in agony

The Corbin is a definite improvement

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chev. said:

My sofa is the Seat Concepts Comfort Tall (one-peace). With that I'm ready for 1000 miles. It's taller, clearly, but I can still just flat-foot with it.

With my head somewhat more up in the wind I experience slightly more wind noise with the SC.

Otherwise I'm quite happy with the oem seat with 'air-cooling' cover - particularly after having changed the rear spring to 90nm (higher and softer seating position with less rebound needed).

I tried the two piece tall thinking it would give more “depth” to sink into but it didn’t. It was 11” wide and that is what I have figured out is the difference between pain and no pain for me, the wider the butt area the more comfortable. It was a great freeway riding position for ergonomics but too tall for my 30” inseam so I took it apart and literally sawed it in half. Same width but 1/2 the height. Was great comfort wise until I got the sport touring. It is the Goldilocks “just right” seat for me. 

I just did 1735 miles R/T trip including a couple of 450 mile days on my newish Sargent seat and I was perfectly comfortable. I am new to distance riding so that was a new experience for me. I do have a sheepskin for it which I like on long rides. The "rug" is cooler than without too. So I found my happy place. A riding buddy got a Corbin seat for his BMW GS which he was really happy with but I rode 50 miles on it and hated it, LOL. Seats are really personal. But the "Farm Equipment" pan style of the Sargent is good for me. The stock dirt bike style seats look good and are fine for energetic off road riding with shorter distances and standing a lot but since the Sargent does that too I just leave it on. The stock seat and the OEM Rally seat were both hard on me, my butt got sore, thighs chafed, my knees hurt, pain in my feet even, I guess it just supported me totally wrong. But I had so many dirt bikes in the past and I just thought I'd never ride more than 2-250 miles so I accepted that. I won't again.

• Like 1