Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

spark plug removal

sebti

Great video, thanks a lot!

I must say that it's a lot of work to get to the plugs. I hope I never drop the bike in a deep water crossing and flood the air box/cilinder. Doing this on the trail is far from practical.

• Like 3

In that case, it can be difficult.

But it's very easiest than on the ktm adventure wich nedd a day of work !

With iridium spark plug, i hope not touch them for 40 000km ;)

• Like 1

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

9 hours ago, sebti said:

In that case, it can be difficult.

But it's very easiest than on the ktm adventure wich nedd a day of work !

With iridium spark plug, i hope not touch them for 40 000km 😉

Everything is easy after you have serviced the 990 Adventure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2019 at 7:25 PM, sebti said:

I have mounted iridium spark plugs and i've made a video about spark plug removal.

It's not very difficult ! 😉

sorry , i had a little problem with my micro...

I will try to subtitle the video soon... ! 😉

I wanna complete all necessary tools for long trips. I'm not going to buy an expensive Yamaha tool kit.

Do you know what's the minimum length of the spark plug  spanner to do it comfortably, or what length of  spanner do you use to remove the spark plug?

Anyone, what's the length of Yamaha spark plug spanner ?

Appreciate any info.

Hi, I use this tool, length is perfect ! ;)

IMG_20200130_191402_0.jpg

IMG_20200130_191438_6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

4 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

What is the actual size of the plug - 14mm or 15mm ?

14 mm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
37 minutes ago, Gary b said:

I to was disappointed when I looked at spark plug removal so I set about making it easier.

Firstly I removed the fuel tank and put a couple of rubber tap washers under the abs pump just to raise it by a little,then on the right side of the bike I removed the plastic wiring holder/guard and re routed all the wiring from that side.Some of the wires where able to be tucked into the frame in front of the brake pipes while the others where cable tied up out of harms way. 
I can now access and remove the spark plugs from the right hand side without having to even remove the fuel tank.

All I now have to do is remove the large side panel to get to the plugs.

I can now get the plugs out from start to finish  in less than 4 mins.

Its going to make a big difference when I’ve just drowned my bike on the trails✊💦

Video/pics or it didn't happen. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gary b said:

I to was disappointed when I looked at spark plug removal so I set about making it easier.

Firstly I removed the fuel tank and put a couple of rubber tap washers under the abs pump just to raise it by a little,then on the right side of the bike I removed the plastic wiring holder/guard and re routed all the wiring from that side.Some of the wires where able to be tucked into the frame in front of the brake pipes while the others where cable tied up out of harms way. 
I can now access and remove the spark plugs from the right hand side without having to even remove the fuel tank.

All I now have to do is remove the large side panel to get to the plugs.

I can now get the plugs out from start to finish  in less than 4 mins.

Its going to make a big difference when I’ve just drowned my bike on the trails✊💦

Awesome tip I have to say.😃

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, johnnygolucky said:

Video/pics or it didn't happen. 

I did my plugs today at 10K and used Gary B's modification to make it easier. You can see the part that get's removed and wiring cable-tied out of the way.

As usual the coil packs are a little tight to get free the first time, but a gentle pry with a lever gets them started. Due to lack of room above the coil packs, I couldn't get the far (left) side coil pack out till I gently eased part of the harness (running from the main harness you can see in the image across to the left of the bike) back out of the way so the coil pack could rotate forward. Both coil packs need to come out in the forward direction.

The plugs use a 14mm socket and I had a long one in my toolkit, but not being a spark plug socket it wont extract the loosened spark plug. So I put a strip of electrical tape around the end of the socket and a little stretched across the open end, and it produced enough friction to hold the plug.

With a bit of anti-seize on the new plugs and a little electrical grease on the coil packs, it should be easy from now on while leaving the fuel tank in place.

1277464263_SparkPlug1.thumb.jpg.55859780fd5a91db334487bb8a3fe2e5.jpg1986837789_SparkPlug2.thumb.jpg.6074ec93364f544c34ac605e1986a4e2.jpg

806258412_SparkPlug3.thumb.jpg.39c541841e8368f7a03375124810c2bf.jpg

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 1/30/2020 at 10:17 AM, sebti said:

Hi, I use this tool, length is perfect ! 😉

Anyone know of a source in the US for a sparkplug tool like this? My guess is one could pay Yamaha an arm & a leg for an OEM one, but I couldn't even locate one online. Too bad they didn't see fit to include one in the standard tool kit. 

20200723_171336.jpg

( Sorry, not a very manly background, wife put a frilly tablecloth out and I forgot to put something greasy on it first).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 hours ago, CAJW said:

Anyone know of a source in the US for a sparkplug tool like this? My guess is one could pay Yamaha an arm & a leg for an OEM one, but I couldn't even locate one online. Too bad they didn't see fit to include one in the standard tool kit. 

Maybe one in here?

On 1/30/2020 at 11:17 AM, sebti said:

Hi, I use this tool, length is perfect ! 😉

This looks like the exact one that comes with the WR450. Also works as the front axle internal drive tool as well. Fits into the standard T7 tool bag with a little wiggling...

I think I have Yamaha disease...

3 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

amazon...

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 1.21.41 PM.png

This is more like what you want if you plan leaving the tank on because the longer tools wont fit in the cramped space above the plugs. Even this one might have trouble, but I like that it is magnetic.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2020 at 10:39 PM, TimeMachine said:

I did my plugs today at 10K and used Gary B's modification to make it easier. You can see the part that get's removed and wiring cable-tied out of the way.

As usual the coil packs are a little tight to get free the first time, but a gentle pry with a lever gets them started. Due to lack of room above the coil packs, I couldn't get the far (left) side coil pack out till I gently eased part of the harness (running from the main harness you can see in the image across to the left of the bike) back out of the way so the coil pack could rotate forward. Both coil packs need to come out in the forward direction.

The plugs use a 14mm socket and I had a long one in my toolkit, but not being a spark plug socket it wont extract the loosened spark plug. So I put a strip of electrical tape around the end of the socket and a little stretched across the open end, and it produced enough friction to hold the plug.

With a bit of anti-seize on the new plugs and a little electrical grease on the coil packs, it should be easy from now on while leaving the fuel tank in place.

1277464263_SparkPlug1.thumb.jpg.55859780fd5a91db334487bb8a3fe2e5.jpg1986837789_SparkPlug2.thumb.jpg.6074ec93364f544c34ac605e1986a4e2.jpg

806258412_SparkPlug3.thumb.jpg.39c541841e8368f7a03375124810c2bf.jpg

Thanks for the images and description. 

I've removed all the clutter from the right and now have good access to that plug, but am struggling with the left side. I can't seem to figure an easy way to access it without pulling the ABS unit out of the way, and all the subsequent panel removal that goes with it...

Are you accessing the left plug from the left side or the right hand side? Even with the ABS mounted slightly higher, it seems inaccessable from the left. And any advice on clearing the wiring from the front of the socket? It seems to be limiting access from the front...

41 minutes ago, NeverMetThePope said:

Thanks for the images and description. 

I've removed all the clutter from the right and now have good access to that plug, but am struggling with the left side. I can't seem to figure an easy way to access it without pulling the ABS unit out of the way, and all the subsequent panel removal that goes with it...

Are you accessing the left plug from the left side or the right hand side? Even with the ABS mounted slightly higher, it seems inaccessable from the left. And any advice on clearing the wiring from the front of the socket? It seems to be limiting access from the front...

I did the change of both plugs from the right hand side of the bike.

Your problem will be part of the main harness above the left coil pack. It has a branch that runs to the left from the centre of the bike and you need to ease that back out of the way a little and then rotate the coil pack forward. Its a little tight and might benefit from raising the ABS with spacers if your harness is being difficult. 

Hope that  helps.

• Like 1

Cheers. I can see where I want the harness to run, but I can't for the life of me see how I can move the ABS plug and still clear the plug socket...

You have to move abs module and remove that plastic cradle if you want to have an easy access to the left plug. Just did my plug change last month, and I’m really trained on hard to maintain bike, my last bike was a Ktm 1190 adventure... changing plugs there was a real PITA

9 hours ago, Reeko81 said:

You have to move abs module and remove that plastic cradle if you want to have an easy access to the left plug. Just did my plug change last month, and I’m really trained on hard to maintain bike, my last bike was a Ktm 1190 adventure... changing plugs there was a real PITA

Thankyou! That makes sense. Time for another disassembly! 

Ok I was questioning my own advice, so I tried the maneuver with the tank on (and without raising the ABS bracket).

From the time I started unbolting the side panel to having two coil packs in my hand was about 6 minutes.

The left side coil pack was definitely tricky and slowed me up at first. The area above the left coil pack feels cramped with wires and cables seemingly too close to get it out. So, while holding the loosened coil pack with your middle fingers palm up, push your thumb up into the maze of wires and force a gap between the wires for the coil pack to follow. The wires part ways (with your thumb) and you can drag the coil pack through slightly to the right of forward. It can be done, just a matter of finding the right technique.

Putting back in was just as interesting, first needing to start the rubberised end down the hole slightly, then reversing the process at the top by making a little space with your thumb again as you swing the coil pack back into the spark plug hole.

None of this will cause issues with the bike. The moving of wires etc are only small and gentle, just prying apart enough for the head of the coil pack to swing through. 

1003887488_Quickchangeplugstest.thumb.jpg.7e47d053376d785238940ed1f3b72534.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 1:11 AM, TimeMachine said:

Ok I was questioning my own advice, so I tried the maneuver with the tank on (and without raising the ABS bracket).

From the time I started unbolting the side panel to having two coil packs in my hand was about 6 minutes.

The left side coil pack was definitely tricky and slowed me up at first. The area above the left coil pack feels cramped with wires and cables seemingly too close to get it out. So, while holding the loosened coil pack with your middle fingers palm up, push your thumb up into the maze of wires and force a gap between the wires for the coil pack to follow. The wires part ways (with your thumb) and you can drag the coil pack through slightly to the right of forward. It can be done, just a matter of finding the right technique.

Putting back in was just as interesting, first needing to start the rubberised end down the hole slightly, then reversing the process at the top by making a little space with your thumb again as you swing the coil pack back into the spark plug hole.

None of this will cause issues with the bike. The moving of wires etc are only small and gentle, just prying apart enough for the head of the coil pack to swing through. 

1003887488_Quickchangeplugstest.thumb.jpg.7e47d053376d785238940ed1f3b72534.jpg

@TimeMachine I think you should record a video! Would be very helpful and could get a lot of views. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 2