Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

spark plug removal

sebti

On 2/1/2021 at 1:13 PM, TimeMachine said:

A forum user has asked for images showing how the wiring is cable tied out of the way. 

Here you can see the three cable ties that keep the wiring out of the way (I am pointing to the front one).

1975895017_SparkPlugPlasticRemoved1.thumb.jpg.9af546a939d97dba9b021e084e0e2622.jpg 

Here you can see the brake lines the bunch of connectors are cable tied to. There is a sharp edge on those rectangular blocks so I have another small cable tie there to keep the wiring away from it.

1843372568_SparkPlugPlasticRemoved2.thumb.jpg.42c9ee9e97a8630ab830d2f634f251ed.jpg

I have also found a nice little 1/4 female to 3/8 male adapter (Bunnings) and 1/4" ratchet to use with the 3/8th spark plug socket. In the cramped space above the engine, this will come in very handy and save carrying too many tools.

1048347318_SparkPlugTool1.thumb.jpg.e95f8a27457969e9407c8316685b5691.jpg

1416624205_SparkPlugTool2.thumb.jpg.50b433081e57f3e9ff43daff4ce86ded.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293972483336?ViewItem=&item=293972483336

Does this mean we can use 1/4 universal joints and use the 1/4 to 3/8 convertor in the end just before the spark plug socket?

C204DB45-44C5-4B09-9D87-CAC5B4F224A0.jpeg.2a36a546b7c22b92853ea0b86a430a31.jpeg

I followed MVDBR enduro’s tip and picked up a KTM exc type removal tool, fits perfectly and just use a 1/4” drive ratchet on the end. You can pick them up for about £15.

I found it easier to loosen the abs pump to get the LHS coil pack out, 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Oxxa said:

Did you have to completely remove the tank (gas hose) or just lift it a little bit?

IIRC, the fuel lines were long enough to keep them connected to loosen the tank and shift it to the rear allowing access to the sparkplug caps. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 3/23/2023 at 12:19 PM, Oxxa said:

Is it possible to remove the plastic wiring holder/guard without detaching the tank completely, just getting it loose?

Or the tank has to be removed and then the removal of this plastic holder is possible? 

thanks!

Read my post from February 6, 2022 ( 6 posts up on this page) for your answer.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I just changed my spark plugs after reading everything in this thread. Removing the tank gave me more space to work with because I could push the cables further up and unbolt the ECU because it was too tight to remove the left coil pack. I didn’t think it was possible without damaging any cables, only had to lift the ECU a little bit, easy.

Thank you everyone.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I thought it would be a fun challenge to see who can replace the spark plugs the fastest. After a test run I recorded this run in 5 minutes, but as you can see I fluffed around quite a bit, so it could be done in 3-4 minutes if you nail it.

I also started with the side panels removed because I don't have side panels fitted normally, so only fair that others start the same way.

Good luck!

• Moderators

@TimeMachine doesn't count, no dog appearances in this vid, so  how can we be sure it's really you? 

😉

• Haha 2

Thanks for all the posts regards this seemingly difficult task. Can I ask about the 14mm extended socket. I have made my own, and just curious, does it need to have a swivel in the middle. Mine is a 150mm long, straight tube. Will it work do you think Cheers Keith

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KeithA said:

Thanks for all the posts regards this seemingly difficult task. Can I ask about the 14mm extended socket. I have made my own, and just curious, does it need to have a swivel in the middle. Mine is a 150mm long, straight tube. Will it work do you think Cheers Keith

I doubt very much that you could use a fixed extension. The pivot in the middle is required to get it in and out in the first instance, but more importantly allow you to clear the wiring obstruction as you unwind the spark plug  out of the head.

• 7 months later...

The hardest part for me was getting the spark plug caps loose. At 20,000 miles they were stuck. I managed to get the close one loose but not the other. I had the tank off so I used a large zip tie fished down from the top looped it around where the connector goes in and with a pry tool was able to pull it loose no problem.

IMG_2205.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mcbrien said:

The hardest part for me was getting the spark plug caps loose. At 20,000 miles they were stuck. I managed to get the close one loose but not the other. I had the tank off so I used a large zip tie fished down from the top looped it around where the connector goes in and with a pry tool was able to pull it loose no problem.

IMG_2205.JPG

That’s what I did. Used a couple zip ties. To help pull caps loose. Not much hand room to pull caps loose 

Just a nice little tip I picked up many years ago for any spark plugs that are difficult to guide back in initially, without damaging any soft threads in a head. It’s the short length of rubber tubing, thick enough to be resistant to folding over, hole big enough to grip the plug. It’s a flexible socket, extension and low torque wrench in one. Slips before any damage. Wind the plug in almost all the way, then change to the box spanner/ wrench to tighten. 
totally necessary on my 600. 

Edited by Dougie