Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mitas E07+ (Non Dakar)

Hammerhead

After the E10 rear meltdown in only 2600km,  fingers were crossed their revised E07+ wouldn’t suffer the same disappointing fate.

Well, this is it, after 4500km of 50/50 tar/ burly, rocky FSR’s & some basic trails. Probably squeeze another 500 or so Km out of it to have it double the E10 mileage but it’s starting to get a tad less predictable than it’s been up until now. 

Performance on & off road was exactly that, predictable, with no sudden or weird surprises. Traction was moderate/fair in most conditions for most of it’s lifespan. Not an outstanding performer in any specific terrain but not tragic or untrustworthy. Not going to rave about it but can’t complain either. Saw plenty of sharp blast rock, big embedded rock, steep spur switchbacks, loose marble high speeds & never sprung a leak or made me feel uneasy. Lost a few small chunks but nothing like the E10 disintegration. That comes as little surprise given my drifting habits & what it was spinning over. This tire steps out very predictably & offers good sideways control if your throttle hand is adequately dialled. 

Opted for the non Dakar model because of price & preference for the more supple sidewalls. No idea if that has the same compound or would last any longer but I wouldn’t want rubber much harder than this even if that did help the mileage. The wet tarmac pucker price just isn’t worth it. This also never surprised me on the pavement either, wet or dry. Doesn’t howl unbearably  or have weird habits at any particular speed. Sails the highways at 120K/hr+ with no issues.

Not thrilled with the mileage, but still far better than their E10 & the performance wasn’t much different.  For the price, I’d eat another if i had few options. Can’t say the same about their E10 rear. Their E10 front has lasted the life of both these rears, typical.

Could be a while before Mitas gets another chance though, as a fresh set of MotoZ patiently awaits their turn next!

B8C5852F-F7BC-4D54-8C50-16D69BCA8FE1.jpeg

• Like 2

Keep us posted about the options. Don't go for a E07 front though.

Same experiance with the rear but the front is rubbish.

I have a set Heidenau K60 rangers for after this set to yry out.

• Like 1

Wasn't the "+" versions made with softer material for better grip on road? I think the "non +" are longer lasting, aren't them?

The "+" doesn't have the centre strip that gave durability.

The + version has these larger tread blocks & like Ray said, no centre strip for mileage. Unaware of any compound differences 

Edited by Hammerhead

As far as i know it's the same tyre but a bit more offroad orientated.
The strip in the middle of the standard i nice for road mileage, more quit and more mileage out of it but offroad the centre strip is often a disadvantage.

Mitas site says this about the "non +":

"The hardwearing compound and optimal performance, both on-road and off-road, make the E-07 a preferred choice on many journeys across the world".

Also says this about the compound in the "Dakar" version:

"The harder rubber compound of the Dakar version (yellow stripe marking) brings 20% more mileage compared to the standard version and almost complete puncture protection thanks to the reinforced carcass".

So harder compounds may wear longer, but at some point (mostly notability on wet pavement & in cooler

temps) that comes at a scary price. Where they tend to skate like those hard plastic. Big wheel toys we had as kids. Not my cupa.

Only experience with the center strip was a MotoZ GPS. Love/ hate relationship. Definitely a compromise felt most when things got slick off road. Wet grass was like grease.

Always a compromise.
    I understand MotoZ uses silica to help traction while still using harder & natural rubbers Their tread is also deeper than most to begin with. All contribute to their reputation for a good combo of durability & performance. That also comes at a premium price though, cause damn, they’re not in the “more affordable” category. 
  Stoked to get that new set mounted once these Mitas are fully roached.

15 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

hat also comes at a premium price though

Depends on the numbers and people often go to the cheaper tyre with good reviews.
I like to look at more dimensions, when tyre A costs X and lasts X miles and tyre B costs 50% more bust lasts 75% longer it's still cheaper.
Never look only at sticker prices.
Big problem is that tyres and especially offroad tyres wear very different due to location (rocks, sand, gravel, mud) and riding style.
I like a bit more rocky terrain with a bit of a change between technical and speedy parts but here in the Netherlands we have different kinds of dirt and gravel, in the summer dry and most parts nice for slipping and sliding but that eats the tyres away acting like sanding paper. In wintertime it is wet and muddy.
I think the Mitas E07+ will be useless in winter and i'm already looking around for after the K60 Ranger in my search for the perfect allrounder.
Also heard rumours of an Anakee Wild 2, can't wait because i just love that tyre but with my slipping and sliding it's gone in 4000 to 4500km so maybe a better mileage?

Tires. 50/50 (on-road / off-road) Michelin Anakee wild vs 60/40 Mitas E-07+ Enduro Trail.
11,000+ km on the Mitas. Great on gravel and pavement, no centre strip so it's got decent traction in dry dirt. Only complaint - it can go sideways in mud...
6,500 km on the Anakee Wild rear and it's worn almost as much as the Mitas at 11Kkm. Great on gravel and pavement; better traction in the dirt and mud - trade off is longevity.
Of course, it you like to roost on the hard Elaho or Indian Arm rocks, no tire will last very long 🙂
For newbs to off-road I recommend more agressive tires, that's an Anakee Wild up front. They can give you more confidence and provide a safer off-road ride while you learn new skills. Caveat is - they are not as good on pavement so slow down!

tires - 1.jpeg

tires - 2.jpeg

tires - 3.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

, when tyre A costs X and lasts X miles and tyre B costs 50% more bust lasts 75% longer it's still cheaper.

No argument there. Good tyres aren’t always cheap & cheap tyres aren’t always good. 

• Like 1

@Black99S 11,000 km & it still

looks like that !? Clearly we are riding different terrain rather differently…. Even if I dumbed down my throttle hand to geriatric  mode there still seems no way I’d squeeze that many clicks outa one of these tyres up here. 

30 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

@Black99S 11,000 km & it still

looks like that !? Clearly we are riding different terrain rather differently…. Even if I dumbed down my throttle hand to geriatric  mode there still seems no way I’d squeeze that many clicks outa one of these tyres up here. 

I'm running an Africa twin and hanging out on this forum waiting for my T7 to arrive. AT is a heavier bike than the T7 - weighed it last week with full Camel tank but without bags = 605lb. I've got a spare set of rims. Mitas E10 front and E07+ rear on one set and Michelin Anakee Wild on the other.

I put the E07+ back on for the last 2000km for the Beeceebeemers rally in Nakusp BC to burn it off. No holds barred HwY-3  pavement ride getting there. Gravel and mud on the adventure rides, and as much gravel as I could fit in on the way back to Vancouver. Was fun in the mud 🙂

I teach ADV course for a school here; the E07+ has done multiple schools, the Adventure Bike Gathering in Vernon, Elaho, Indian Arm multiple times, Chris Birch ADV course and plenty of gravel. While roosting is fun I work hard to not spin up the rear tyre unnecessarily. Sure it has taken some deep cuts and chunks. E07+ is a great tyre until you are in Merritt or Lillooet BC area in the rain - then the E07+ sucks big time.

tires - 1 (1).jpeg

tires - 1 (2).jpeg

@Black99S most of this tyre was left behind exploring the many rocky FRS’s out of Pemberton through spring & summer. Where admittedly, roosting was not avoided. Fun, but costly. A couple sea to sky hauls getting back to he island & over the Duffy once  after the Gold bridge loop. It never saw substantial amounts of mud. Time is ripe to access the higher country up there now before the snow returns. Yalakom valley is on the radar & apparently has some rideable alpine access. Near endless options out of Pemby. They certainly got the “Adventure begins here” tag line right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2022 at 9:36 PM, Black99S said:

E07+ is a great tyre until you are in Merritt or Lillooet BC area in the rain - then the E07+ sucks big time.

So: the Anakee Wild is better in the wet?  What happens with the E07+ in the rain to make you not like it?  

16 minutes ago, cast2lan said:

So: the Anakee Wild is better in the wet?  What happens with the E07+ in the rain to make you not like it?  

Not sure, but this may refer to mud. The Anakee Wild will have far better self-cleaning and much better traction due to bigger negative profile amount. You want the blocks to push through the mud until they reach firmer ground.

But I have read on an Austrian website that the E07 (not +) wasn't very confidence inspiring on wet tarmac as well.

I have them too. The front is definitely not coming back and the rear depending on the next two sets i want to try but if it comes back on it's mainly for mileage in combination with the price.

I realy love the Wilds but 4500km with that price....

8 hours ago, cast2lan said:

It's the mud that comes with the rain; then the E07+ can go sideways quickly. The E07+ is good on pavement in the rain.

I disagree.

On pavement it does OK but it slides faster than the Wild and even the E09.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I disagree.

So, Ray, do you have a recommendation for a set that handles wet pavement at least as well as the STRs, and provides better tracking on gravel up front, and more lateral stability out back? 

Edited by cast2lan

21 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I disagree.

Good to know. I more and more think the Anakee Wild might be my next set. The Scorpion STR are great onroad, but I really don't like them even on gravel.

What's your opinion about the Wild compared to the STR onroad, apart from longevity?

Edited by Tenerider

37 minutes ago, cast2lan said:

So, Ray, do you have a recommendation for a set that handles wet pavement at least as well as the STRs, and provides better tracking on gravel up front, and more lateral stability out back? 

I'm still trying different models but apart from price the Wild is still my go to tyre and i had them fitted before my trip to the North Cape. Going up via the twisties in the fjords dry and (very) wet and back over Finland and the Baltics with a lot offroad. With that mix i did 6000km and had them changed in Tallinn for the E07 because of the price of the Wild and i wanted to try them anyway.

Next on the list is the Mitas E09 dakar rear and E10 front.

The E13 front is nice in soft sand and mud but i don't like it on gravel and compacted sand.

No experience with the STR because i bought the bike with a set Wilds. The STR is not on my 'to try' list because i already don't like the tread pattern.

After the E07 i have a set K60 Ranger waiting and after that i want to try the D908 rear with the D606 or Pirelli MT21 front.

33 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Good to know. I more and more think the Anakee Wild might be my next set. The Scorpion STR are great onroad, but I really don't like them even on gravel.

What's your opinion about the Wild compared to the STR onroad, apart from longevity?

See the above.

• Thanks 1

Another time confirmed, exit roundabout in the rain and when i opened the throttle the rear broke out like on gravel.
Didn't went real hard on it.
Here you can see how i ride the Wilds in dry, in episodes to come i think i also have footage in wet en surely on gravel and more.
It did slide a little but that was not the tyres fault but the type of asphalt they used, it was only on the Lyssevegen serpentine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Another time confirmed, exit roundabout in the rain and when i opened the throttle the rear broke out like on gravel.
Didn't went real hard on it.
Here you can see how i ride the Wilds in dry, in episodes to come i think i also have footage in wet en surely on gravel and more.
It did slide a little but that was not the tyres fault but the type of asphalt they used, it was only on the Lyssevegen serpentine.

Ah, I remember this section of the video. We have such asphalt here also in some rare places.

Back to ghe E07 in the title.

After 3000km, I have found them to be good at commuting , autoroute, and anything off road except mud. On mud they are no better than the standard tyres. It just sticks  doesn't get thrown off at all.

• Like 1