Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Speedo move over for GPS side x side

NeilW

The Garmin 700i GPS weighs almost a pound and and my RAM mount flops when the bike is bouncing in technical terrain. This mount makes room for the 700i by moving the instrument cluster over so the 700i mounts beside it. All in a solid plate. Easy to install. 
here is my review 

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2022/09/28/twalcom-slitta-per-display-multifunzione-review-tenere-700-dash/8CAA9362-AB94-45EE-B9CD-A10BAED57282.jpeg.04ee4480d1540e0274f4e1bd68178b67.jpeg

• Like 4

Interesting! I've been trying to design one of these myself reusing the original mount and some 3D printed parts, but this might negate the need for that. Is it possible to flip the mount around so the GPS is mounted to the left of the display unit?

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

5 hours ago, duibhceK said:

Interesting! I've been trying to design one of these myself reusing the original mount and some 3D printed parts, but this might negate the need for that. Is it possible to flip the mount around so the GPS is mounted to the left of the display unit?

Honestly I am not sure, couple of things- 1. the instrument cluster CABLE may not reach to the right side. 2. the mounting of the temperature probe. 3. all the mounting holes would have to be drilled.  I suggest you email the company and ask . The big hole is the left side of the plate for the Instrument cluster.

• Like 1

Nice! I like the clean look a lot.

I've looked in to this setup myself a year ago, but I opted out because one review said you couldn't get the full steering angles.

The steer hit the dash mount at some point I believe.

You haven't had any issues?

5 minutes ago, deanso said:

I've looked in to this setup myself a year ago, but I opted out because one review said you couldn't get the full steering angles.

No issues. I have Touratech guards which stick way out , but I do have risers. Here are photos of clearance full left and full right  BCC150BE-9E42-4D53-979A-A422B766C789.jpeg.f5b3e430585790e7bc9e6163b2529d7f.jpeg2A8588A5-A252-4D95-9B77-AB3686EE8725.jpeg.4f7e89c284839147f83273f91bc6be30.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2022 at 12:34 PM, NeilW said:

No issues. I have Touratech guards which stick way out , but I do have risers. Here are photos of clearance full left and full right  BCC150BE-9E42-4D53-979A-A422B766C789.jpeg.f5b3e430585790e7bc9e6163b2529d7f.jpeg2A8588A5-A252-4D95-9B77-AB3686EE8725.jpeg.4f7e89c284839147f83273f91bc6be30.jpeg

yes thanks for sharing!

I like this setup!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 4:59 AM, duibhceK said:

Funny thing I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd rather have the GPS on the left so I can keep my right hand on throttle/brake as necessary if I was wanting to see a different screen.  I have a Garmin Zumo 396 (I don't need the huge screen) on the way but I'm probably going to mount it on the handlebar. I don't want to mount anything higher than the instrument "box".

i have this as well.. ruin with it for 20 000 km. love it.

phone mount is just so i can charge wile riding.  but you could use it to do track's for example ant twist it upward a bit so you can easily see wile riding.

did that for a wile on the tet.

GOPR0128_57vZv7nvdN6Me_0_1655065073994.JPG.2bb8a48bc9f3a6a6ebd1c8d180970c4a.JPG

[edit. yes i have installed a flip kit on my display. love it to bits  :

Customize your motorcycle dash to match your bike! Designed for the Fz07 / Mt07 / Fz09 / Mt09, Fz10 / Mt10, a cheap and easy mod that changes the color of your motorcycle LCD dash to match your bike. Gives your bike a colored...

]

Edited by CoreCass

On 9/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, deanso said:

never had an issue. full lock to lock. it properly also depends on your hand guards. i use the acerbis factory x.   could be different for others.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Turbohawk said:

Funny thing I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd rather have the GPS on the left so I can keep my right hand on throttle/brake as necessary if I was wanting to see a different screen.  I have a Garmin Zumo 396 (I don't need the huge screen) on the way but I'm probably going to mount it on the handlebar. I don't want to mount anything higher than the instrument "box".

19 hours ago, CoreCass said:

never had an issue. full lock to lock. it properly also depends on your hand guards. i use the acerbis factory x.   could be different for others.

I use my left hand if I want to mess with the Montana screens, remember the distance from center to center is only 4.5".  Unless you have shoulder issues, you should be able to reach across the 4" to mess with the GPS.

Change of plans for mounting. The 396 is pretty petite and light so I'm going to use the accessory rail but with a slightly different mount. I'll post pics when all done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review on this. Was getting it shipped into the US any issue?

35 minutes ago, srbeards said:

Thanks for the review on this. Was getting it shipped into the US any issue?

@srbeardsno issue but freight was expensive. They might have found a cheaper freight company now. They will quote you on the freight.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for showing us this Neil.

Looks like you had the anti-bobblehead brackets fitted before; guess you had to remove these. 

Does the new Twalcom do the same job and prevent bobbling?

I have a Carpe Iter fitted to the OEM accessory bar with a RallyRaid mount so will need support again...

4 hours ago, James said:

Thanks for showing us this Neil.

Looks like you had the anti-bobblehead brackets fitted before; guess you had to remove these. 

Does the new Twalcom do the same job and prevent bobbling?

I have a Carpe Iter fitted to the OEM accessory bar with a RallyRaid mount so will need support again...

@James Yes, I had to remove the great Camel Anti Bobblehead brackets and Yes the Twalcom keeps the whole front end solid. I have about 3000 miles on the current setup and having the 700i mounted where it won't flop around is great. 

@CoreCass Which bars do you have on that T7? think this is also helping with clearance between the dash and the handguards, also those look like Acerbis X-Factor not X-factory handguards?

45 minutes ago, JamesV said:

@CoreCass Which bars do you have on that T7? think this is also helping with clearance between the dash and the handguards, also those look like Acerbis X-Factor not X-factory handguards?

nothing to special to be honnest.  these are it.

had a crash where i had a bent bar. so had to change it.  and this was cheaper as an yamaha part

yes thy are acerbis x-factor.  might have miss spelled factor as my brain turns it in to factory.

LE-MA-EX-SI-Magura-konifizierter-X-Line-

The tapered X-Line handlebars from MAGURA: light, stable and easy on the joints. They also come with an even longer service life and are…

Edited by CoreCass
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, question on running the speedo wires. If I  run it up the middle like this it obviously is in the way and gets pinched when you snug it down. If I  run it up the side as per instructions, the bolt shown also pinches it and I'm concerned about rubbing.  Ideas? How did you do it? 

Thanks,  Todd 20230307_182257.jpg.c73b14ffd2a51dfe5278387869255d1a.jpg

29 minutes ago, toddiscdn said:

Hi guys, question on running the speedo wires. If I  run it up the middle like this it obviously is in the way and gets pinched when you snug it down. If I  run it up the side as per instructions, the bolt shown also pinches it and I'm concerned about rubbing.  Ideas? How did you do it? 

Thanks,  Todd 20230307_182257.jpg.c73b14ffd2a51dfe5278387869255d1a.jpg

@toddiscdnIt looks like i did it like you have it with no issues. See my review and this similar install photo. I just looked at it from the side with a flashlight, the cable is sitting in a channel of bent metal- it is not being snugged down. You put the identified bolt in too soon. The plate that the speedo and gps mount to gets attached to that bolt - you need to take it and put it back eventually.

Twalcom-Slitta-per-Display-Multifunzione

Twalcom Slitta per Display Multifunzione Review: We turn our eyes to Italy to improve the dash of our Yamaha Ténéré 700 Project Bike.

1906716458_Twalcom-Tenere-700-5.jpg.3201852b5febb647a727c74c12d9ce79.jpg

Edited by NeilW

Spoiler

Thanks Neil!, yes I have seen you review and it helped, I just put the bolt in to mock it up and see how things would lay after it was together.  Ill fiddle with it more and hopefully can get it to sit like you did.

Twalcoms video and instructions show it up the side and that certianly works better near the bottom but this bolt is right in the channel they show it going up and its a bit snug with both the wire and bolt in there.

Ill keep messing with it and see what works, cold and snowy out anyway, lol.

Thanks again, Todd

26 minutes ago, toddiscdn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thanks Neil!, yes I have seen you review and it helped, I just put the bolt in to mock it up and see how things would lay after it was together.  Ill fiddle with it more and hopefully can get it to sit like you did.

Twalcoms video and instructions show it up the side and that certianly works better near the bottom but this bolt is right in the channel they show it going up and its a bit snug with both the wire and bolt in there.

Ill keep messing with it and see what works, cold and snowy out anyway, lol.

Thanks again, Todd

@toddiscdnThe cable is well wrapped and the whole assembly doesn't vibrate. - maybe if you are concerned put another wrap of gorilla tape around the speedo cable ?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/29/2022 at 10:34 AM, NeilW said:

How much rise do you have on yours?  I just installed the Twalcom dash, and with the Rally Raid Risers at standard height, but 8mm back my Barkbusters still contact the dash before going full lock.  I assumed they would, but now I have the added issue of trying to find handguards that have a low enough profile to allow for the handlebar to swing full lock.

My side by side solution is made by Addventures. The set comes with all necessary hardware incl. the cockpit stabilizer.

I navigate with my cell (Blackview BV9500: weight 396 g, dimensions 160 x 82 x 19 mm) connected via Qi holder/loader by RAM w/o ball.

The cell and the loader are both waterproof. Electric connection via extra twin usb plug on the right side of the cockpit. I hate those adapters that come off the cigarette lighter plug and you will only notice that when it's too late and your phone/navigation system has already turned off.

Cockpit-1.jpg

Cockpit-2.jpg

Cockpit-3.jpg

Cockpit-4.jpg

I do like the side by side look but don't you fellas worry it makes both things more vulnerable in a drop?

Edited by sunndog