Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Kreiga OS12 on R&G Side Racks

Boondocker

I'm working on a soft luggage setup aimed at commuting and day tripping with an eye for compactness, especially when unloaded. For those of you looking for a world traveler setup, this isn't it. Mostly, I had to consider how the bags would attach to these racks. The one bag I couldn't seem to rule out was the Kreiga OS series.

One condition is that I want to avoid tubular frames/racks while still having load support and protection for the stock plastic side panels. Hence the R&G Racing Luggage Side Rails, Write-up about that here.

Not sure if the Kreiga OS Base would fit properly around the Mototrek tail rack and over the R&G side racks, but I got (2) OS12 bags for the price of the OS Base so will try this method first.

Used the highlighted openings in the rack to attach the Kreiga OS 12 bags.

792817333_RGRacingsideracksleftprofilecroppededited.jpg.01e02a4d4ddd5452e2b450a4ffa2b46a.jpg

Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of roll-top bags despite how functional they are. I considered cheaper brands but got a good price on the Kreiga. Having owned and daily used a Kreiga R30 backpack for over 10-years that still works as new, I'm convinced their quality and design are top notch.  Also got a pair of Kreiga  OS-Cam straps because they seem potentially useful.

Here are some pictures of the bags attached.

Left side, empty.

356996981_KreigaOS12leftside.jpg.c27a25b96b11e934fe1d0e7694a070c2.jpg

Right side, empty. Seems like there is plenty of exhaust heat clearance, but I'll be adding a heat shield anyway.

2020293965_KreigaOS12rightside.jpg.2203d4d96afeb8f8cc384fa22e30c88c.jpg

Rear view, empty - satisfied with the compactness.

1870705374_KreigaOS12rearviewempty.jpg.fadd11c36a458b79b1898ecc0c4b7061.jpg

Another rear view but this time with a full left side bag for comparison. Full of what you might ask? Why a 10-lb. frozen turkey and 4-lbs of frozen peas - of course. The bag was stuffed 🙂

1365328823_KreigaOS12topviewhalfloaded.jpg.31b59788b1696d28a550899b5903250d.jpg

Top-down view with the left bag full. Note the OS Cam strap connecting the bags over the seat for strain relief. May not be necessary but I tend to err on the side of over-engineering.

866205073_KreigaOS12topview.jpg.09682ecaf3897e4c0051ec916c813528.jpg

Haven't used this setup yet, only in the test-fitting phase, but wanted to get some pictures while the bags are still new.

• Like 1

I use the 12s on home made plates but in the vertical position and a little further back.

I'll see if I can dig out a few pics.

The setup works well. I recently used them for a 7 day ride. I had tubes and pump in one and wets and a few bits in the other.

There was still plenty of room but I wanted to be as light and functional as possible.

edit. a few pics here

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/5406-rideadv-bridge-to-bridge-2022/#comment-62357

Edited by Rider 101

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2022 at 8:40 PM, Boondocker said:

I'm working on a soft luggage setup aimed at commuting and day tripping with an eye for compactness, especially when unloaded. For those of you looking for a world traveler setup, this isn't it. Mostly, I had to consider how the bags would attach to these racks. The one bag I couldn't seem to rule out was the Kreiga OS series.

One condition is that I want to avoid tubular frames/racks while still having load support and protection for the stock plastic side panels. Hence the R&G Racing Luggage Side Rails, Write-up about that here.

Not sure if the Kreiga OS Base would fit properly around the Mototrek tail rack and over the R&G side racks, but I got (2) OS12 bags for the price of the OS Base so will try this method first.

Used the highlighted openings in the rack to attach the Kreiga OS 12 bags.

792817333_RGRacingsideracksleftprofilecroppededited.jpg.01e02a4d4ddd5452e2b450a4ffa2b46a.jpg

Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of roll-top bags despite how functional they are. I considered cheaper brands but got a good price on the Kreiga. Having owned and daily used a Kreiga R30 backpack for over 10-years that still works as new, I'm convinced their quality and design are top notch.  Also got a pair of Kreiga  OS-Cam straps because they seem potentially useful.

Here are some pictures of the bags attached.

Left side, empty.

356996981_KreigaOS12leftside.jpg.c27a25b96b11e934fe1d0e7694a070c2.jpg

Right side, empty. Seems like there is plenty of exhaust heat clearance, but I'll be adding a heat shield anyway.

2020293965_KreigaOS12rightside.jpg.2203d4d96afeb8f8cc384fa22e30c88c.jpg

Rear view, empty - satisfied with the compactness.

1870705374_KreigaOS12rearviewempty.jpg.fadd11c36a458b79b1898ecc0c4b7061.jpg

Another rear view but this time with a full left side bag for comparison. Full of what you might ask? Why a 10-lb. frozen turkey and 4-lbs of frozen peas - of course. The bag was stuffed 🙂

1365328823_KreigaOS12topviewhalfloaded.jpg.31b59788b1696d28a550899b5903250d.jpg

Top-down view with the left bag full. Note the OS Cam strap connecting the bags over the seat for strain relief. May not be necessary but I tend to err on the side of over-engineering.

866205073_KreigaOS12topview.jpg.09682ecaf3897e4c0051ec916c813528.jpg

Haven't used this setup yet, only in the test-fitting phase, but wanted to get some pictures while the bags are still new.

Do you still ride with the R30?

Any feedback on that please? how is it for long day saddle comfort? thanks

On 2/4/2023 at 2:29 AM, ninot7 said:

Do you still ride with the R30?

Any feedback on that please? how is it for long day saddle comfort? thanks

@ninot7If you are asking about the Kreiga R30 backpack, yes. I rode with it yesterday, about 250 highway miles, containing a laptop and related stuff, about 10 lbs. worth. Having commuted for many years with a backpack, not wearing one while riding feels weird. The Kreiga chest harness is much more stable than just shoulder straps. The pack tends to rest on the seat, which takes some of the weight off you. It really disappears and I never think about it when riding.

The OS12s on the R&G racks are working a treat too.

• Like 3

I just finished a 2 day navigation ride and the 12 was just a little limiting for an overnight bag. I am thinking of getting one the next size up (20? ).

They are a great product and can stand up to a bit of beating. 

I have had the bum bag ( or you wierdos in the north call them a fanny pack ) for years and it is great for a one day ride travelling light.

And by the way a "fanny " in Oz is a vagina   :imaposer

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Do you recon the AS/R&G side racks would take the OS panniers WITHOUT the rear rack? 
ps i have the OS18s rackless. Quite happy with them but for camping purposes it’s easier to get them fully horizontal and stick a dry bag across. Don’t want a rear rack though. 

5 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

I just finished a 2 day navigation ride and the 12 was just a little limiting for an overnight bag. I am thinking of getting one the next size up (20? ).

They are a great product and can stand up to a bit of beating. 

I have had the bum bag ( or you wierdos in the north call them a fanny pack ) for years and it is great for a one day ride travelling light.

And by the way a "fanny " in Oz is a vagina   :imaposer

do you mean the Kriega fanny pack? The R3 perhaps?