Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Android Auto (or CarPlay) Install

fgarsombke

I have done a few BDRs and was looking for something to replace my phone on the handlebars. When riding I only use Spotify, Gaiagps, and Google Maps and didn't want a separate GPS unit since everything I use is on my phone.

I found a waterproof, wireless Android Auto (and CarPlay) unit on Ebay for $160 (now $147). 

The unit connects wirelessly to my phone on startup and also emits Bluetooth to my Cardo PackTalk in my helmet.

I attached it to the crossbar with a RallyRaid Billet Multi-Mount and hard wired it to the three pin auxiliary power connector. 

Way cheaper than a $500 GPS unit and is exactly what I was looking for. My phone can now be put safely away but still run everything I need.

20221106_110524-min.jpg.878666da9ee3b78ff42ce9f50bc1ac8a.jpg20221106_112654-min.jpg.6a9ca6ab52b916aa2d92b535952e1eae.jpg20221106_112706-min.jpg.ced2618a3a82271d8f6c8ff4b2a44880.jpg20221106_154223-min.jpg.43c8392bcb0488ef6d7f69916119c756.jpg20221106_120125-min.jpg.c9f1c968b03ad27bf1a545d7a3536ed5.jpg20221106_120344-min.jpg.6d85638afa5c073c0e9d9d717f1e93d6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I've used Gaiagps on the last two BDRs we've done with no issues. Your phone still has GPS even without cell service so still works great for navigation. 

Bloody neat! Plug it in, connect up the phone and bang!

Does it need conductive gloves to operate?

• Like 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• Moderators

Nice find. Moved from General Discussion. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I’m going to give this a shot, looks like a good solution to keep from mounting my expensive phone to the GPS mount. 

Can it be powered by USB? The wiring harness looks like it has a huge power brick. 

This is exactly what I was looking for. 

I tried to find something like this a few months ago and couldn't. 

As and FYI you can find it for around $130 on AliExpress. 

• Like 1

Nice solution. I decided to go the Garmin Zumo XT route and honestly, for me, it has been very frustrating to use for planning rides and while riding. Basecamp is an integral part of the problem. So unless you want to take a university course in Garmin Ops I’d go with this!

Edited by Husafreak
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Husafreak said:

Nice solution. I decided to go the Garmin Zumo XT route and honestly, for me, it has been very frustrating to use for planning rides and while riding. Basecamp is an integral part of the problem. So unless you want to take a university course in Garmin Ops I’d go with this!

Basecamp definitely has a pretty steep learning curve. I ditched all my Garmin stuff a few years ago

For 95+% of what I do either Google maps or Gaia work awesome. The paid for Gaia is pretty damn impressive. 

3 hours ago, mpatch said:

As and FYI you can find it for around $130 on AliExpress. 

The only reason I bought from Ebay was the delivery was a few days and it had a 30 day refund. I wanted to make sure everything was working and that if I needed to return it could be local vs shipping back to China 🙂 

Just my thoughts!

Edited by fgarsombke
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, motonap said:

Does it need conductive gloves to operate?

Nope 🙂 I tried out some normal gloves and they work fine (except for the fat glove fingers)

4 hours ago, smd3 said:

Can it be powered by USB? The wiring harness looks like it has a huge power brick. 

I believe so, the instructions say it can be off of USB. I believe the transformer is the biggest part of this, I connected directly to the Aux power connector and it works great, I like also when the bike shuts off the power is immediately disconnected to it. I zip tied the transformer to the front of the gas tank, its not visible and seems secure.

• Like 1

Been a couple of weeks since post. How do you find the screen brightness while riding?

I have seen some reviews on AlieXpress that mention poor screen brightness!

Thanks

40 minutes ago, Bighopper said:

Been a couple of weeks since post. How do you find the screen brightness while riding?

I have seen some reviews on AlieXpress that mention poor screen brightness!

Thanks

I've been out a couple times since we are mostly winter now in CO. I did notice the brightness was less than advertised, I couldn't fully tell if it was the position of the unit or not, I also had the unit squared up with the T7 display.

I have since titled the display down and haven't had a chance to test it out. If I can get it on the road this weekend I'll post back.

tl;dr - good question, haven't been out as much as I would like to test this out, did notice brightness wasn't great on my first two quick rides. 

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to get out with the sun behind me and I tilted the visor down and it wasn't that bad. I'm overall pleased with the unit and it's exactly what I envisioned. 

During a ride I've had the Android Auto wireless lose its connection a couple times but can't tell if it's just flaky Android Auto or the unit itself. The unit can be power cycled (reset button) so you don't have to turn the bike off. 

I'd definitely order from ebay to get the 30 day money back refund if it doesn't work out for you. 

Would love more feedback! 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine just arrived today. Based on the tracking info, it looks like it was routed to the wrong postal center, so I’m probably lucky I got it at all. 

first impressions are good. The screen isn’t huge, but it seems responsive. Apple CarPlay setup easy enough. 

im not sure if my unit was used because it had a couple phones paired to it already. It looks new and nothing seems missing. 

if you’re going to want to power it by USB, you have to remove an access cover.  So, that won’t be waterproof. But, it does work. 

it comes with knock-off ram/ball mount parts. 

I need to sort out how I want to set it up so I can swap it from bike to bike. It’s really designed to have the cradle hard wired. 

it’ll take a memory card, I’m guessing you can put MP3s on it. 

you can update the unit, but it’s looking for a file. I’m not sure if updates are available or where to get them. 

there’s virtually zero instructions. 

oh, the startup screen is a BMW GSA 1250. I don’t see if you can change that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smd3 said:

Mine just arrived today. Based on the tracking info, it looks like it was routed to the wrong postal center, so I’m probably lucky I got it at all. 

Oh cool, curious to hear about your experience after installation, etc. Mine will get the real test next Spring when we do the NMBDR.

I took this thing out for a bit of a longer ride and used it to follow a track I built in the Rever app. This was a paved route and on my tracer, but I plan to make it movable from the tracer to my Tenere. 

the screen brightness seemed fine. It’s not a super bright day, being winter, but it’s blue skies and mid-day. 

i connected my Cardo freecom to it and was able to play music from my phone. The volume didn’t get high enough.  I didn’t mess with it much. Maybe there is a volume setting on the thing. 

carplay seems to work just fine. No issues there. 

mid it loses power, it cuts out. There’s no internal power. I had a 12v to usb plugged into my tracers power outlet and then powered the unit by the usb. The power outlet slipped out and it shut off. That was annoying. 

it runs on 5v, but comes with a 12v to 5v brick in the middle of its power cord. I’m going to cut the cord and wire it to a usb pigtail. Then, I’ll have USB on both bikes to power it. 

I use quad lock mounts. So I got their universal mount and stuck it to the back of the cradle. Again, this is so I can move it from bike to bike. Works fine so far. 

for $150, this thing seems like a solid product and alternative to a dedicated GPS or mounting your phone to the bars. 

oh, Rever’s CarPlay app is pretty terrible. I’ll keep trying, but it seems like you can’t simply start recording from CarPlay, you have to use the app. 

if you want to pick one of your routes to follow, it has to be a favorite. not great. 

• Like 1

Been following this thread from the beginning and I'm honestly quite excited as it might be a great solution.

The One thing I was curious about is how the touch screen reacts to having water on it. I know my phone acts like an octopus is using it, or perhaps a ghost beside you. 

The raindrops will act as finger tips constantly selecting apps or by unwanted scrolling. 

Any experience with this? 

Edited by Fraz's T7

What currently makes me hesitate on such devices is that your preferred apps must be Android Auto compliant. I guess it's similar for Apple car play.

I have Android Auto in my car - only a handful of apps will run on it. Sadly, my preferred apps don't (yet).