Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

To all with tail tidy mods.

Tomaszch

Hi All,

I am just running a yearly maintenance. A larger one, as the weather is not so appealing, I thought it would be a good idea to spend some time in the garage and just take look here and there.

So. I have a tail tidy. Mine is a "kinda" R&G. I cannot recall, for sure it's not a ripoff, I bought it at OffTheRoad (EU). Anyway, I haven't been looking at all of this while installing, but now it is very clear, there is a possible messsy spot there. Please take a look at he pics. I have blown a lot of this stuff with compressed air, but my biggest concern is that open end of frame. That, and open holes at the tail tidy seem to be a hazard. Just letting know what I've spotted. Cheers , 

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

7 hours ago, mpatch said:

I’m anti tail tidy mainly because I hate having a stripe of Shet on my back. 

B&B tail tidy  seems to contain the Shit spray

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Tusk tail tidy on my T7, and no such open areas allowing dirt and crap up under the seat area.

It did allow the tail/brake light to get very muddy which bothered me for obvious safety reasons, but that was easily remedied with a small extension piece of aluminum attached to the lower license plate screws, bent to an angle parallel with the ground. The below pic is from the first ride after attaching the piece, and before I found and bent it to the correct angle. Now everything above the extension stays relatively clean.   

20220318_065200.jpg.404367d9055b2703949039ff6b2a7bfe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing this now hesitating more with tail tidy. Feels like it's Adventure spec is really the safest way to go. Hopefully it does clear the high mount exhaust. 

Why are you're thoughts of the plain (silver) MIVV vs the black one? How does the colour black holding with dirt and stains? Thanks.

Well, for me, installing some of the mods is an evolution. The original tail got damaged, as for the exhaust, I wanted to reduce the risk of bending the subframe and causing some serious problems. Plus, the bike now looks how it should 🙂 

I wanted a black one, for me it looks better that way. My bike is covered with dirt most of the time, so it doesn't really bother me. And all scars should be worn with pride 🙂

Finally I did what @Lewie suggested. Thanks for the tip! It should eliminate the problem completely. I didn't fill the openings with silicone, 'cos I thought if some moisture ever gets in, it is better to let it got out. I will throw some pics later.

Cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tomaszch said:

Well, for me, installing some of the mods is an evolution

That's the only way to go in my opinion.
I see a lot of guys buying stuff even before having the bike.
If your into farkling go ahead but if you want to improve the bike you need to ride to discover what's wrong for you and fix that, in the end also a lot cheaper.
And sometime you can go a bit over the edge to make an extra improvement when a part need to be changed anyway and change it for something better that would be too expensive to change only because of the improvement (i need new rotors and ordered the singel rotor conversion with rear ABS delete).

• Like 1

Yea, @Ray Ride4life, that's pretty simple. You use something, you get to know it, then you can change it, tweak it, whatever you name it. 

So, I promissed some pictures, so there you have it. Before somebody will tell me, there's a hole at the top, I know there is a hole. I left it there on purpouse. 

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I spotted this when did my DIY tail tidy

My plan is 

1 - spray good bit of ACF50 into the open frame ends

2 - Use some closed cell foam (have some in shed) to created some foam seals around the gaps. this should create a nice tight seal 

Its mainly at the tail light where the plastics meet, on original the large tail adds a second cover blocked any gaps between the tail light and the rear fairings

Edited by john_aero

On 2/26/2023 at 2:38 AM, Chev. said:

Have to admit that I've never really seen the sexiness in a tail tidy on the T7.

I imagine it evolved from this.

HOTROD.jpg.f3a559b9911afb44498d58313e49ba55.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:38 AM, Chev. said:

Have to admit that I've never really seen the sexiness in a tail tidy on the T7.

"Sexiness" is more of a euphemism to say something has clean flowing lines.   Indeed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however most can and do appreciate symmetrical clean lines and compared to excess baggage hanging off the rear the improvement can be seen as beatification.  

Of course, once a motorcycle enthusiast sees a Ducati, there seems to not be a more fitting word than sexy. 

19 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

once a motorcycle enthusiast sees a Ducati, there seems to not be a more fitting word than sexy

Yes....Sexy, even at almost 50!!

The much-acclaimed 1976 Ducati 900SS goes on auction - Adrenaline Culture  of Motorcycle and Speed

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

@Toymaster @Hibobb I'll see your Ducati and raise it to a MV for an extremely sexy set of tail feathers.

013-1.jpg.dd7805872a9bcbc5985d5ba62397153a.jpg

• Like 6

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I made a cover out of Kydex. Made a template out of cardboard first until it fit nice and tight-then cut it out and used a heat gun to get it to curve perfectly to leave no gap.

spacer.png

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PondHawk said:

Hey @Firebolterlooks clean! What thickness Kydex did you use?

believe it is 1/8th. Smooth on one side and "bumpy" on the other. I made sure to mount the "smooth" side facing down. Makes clean up easy! I got some slightly longer SS allen button head bolts and washers as the stock ones just weren't quite long enough.

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

If you take your bike offroad you will get dirt everywhere. If you ride in a lot of mud it'll be worse. If everything works, GREAT, fix it when it stop working. If you want everything to be clean and spotless then only ride your bike on-road when its sunny outside.

I've looked into the tailtidy mods and decided they are not for me. I think the tail on T7 looks fine.

I do want to replace the turn signals, on the tail but that is not really related.

@john_aero That looks great. Is it DIY or off the shelf? I've been looking for a tail tidy like that for a while so I can fit a high exhaust whilst keeping the mud protection for winter offroading!

• Like 1