Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mivv Dakar slip-on problems

Diezel

Around Christmas I bought a Mivv Dakar Slip-on from WRS.it and communication and delivery was quick.

Right away I mounted it as the manual instructed but I soon got in to a problem and a loooong communication (30 days) with WRS in Italy.
The problem was/is that the link pipe is to close to the swing arm, i have measured it to 1.95mm only, and right at the spot the pipe crosses the swing arm
there is a rubber cover for the hole in the swing arm. I assume that it will melt from the heat of the pipe but right now in snowed in so i have yet to try it.
Mivv them self print in their installation manual that there should be at least 20mm from anything that can be damaged by heat...

IMG_8843.jpeg.be289aeb68357d2c845934e93cba48ee.jpeg

When trying to describe the problem to WRS who then send it to their supplier and Mivv I have taken a ton of photos and even sent them a video

of the problem. The first advice I got was to loosen everything, including the original manifold and then mount the slip-on and let the rest adapt after that,

a solution I don't accept since its a slip-on and I don't think putting pressure/bend/stress in the cylinder head by bending the manifold to get the muffler to line

up is a good solution. I think the link pipe has slipped in the jig when being welded since it has a hard press mark in one spot and the bends are of a strange angle
on some places.

IMG_8712.jpeg.6b37f6ecd35aa6c477a4b2764f67b58a.jpeg

IMG_8711.jpeg.8545b3d3dfb2469d3208580e4bc7285e.jpeg

After some more pictures they agreed that the slip-on was correctly mounted and that the pipe is made like that. I have got some pictures of fellow users of

the Mivv Dakar slip-on where the gap to the swing arm are 10-15mm, which seems a lot more right then my 1.95mm.

I pledged for a new link pipe from WRS who refused and just repeated what Mivv have told them, I was offered to return the slip-on if the bike was not started

with it, which I have done once so I'm stuck with it. Don't get me wrong, I like the system but I want it to be right, that's why I write this so that any one thinking of getting
one will know that the support is slim to non if you get problems.

In the rear part of the stock manifold there is a bracket with a bolt holding the manifold, the only solution I can think of other then cut and weld it right is to put some washers in between  the manifold at the bracket to get the pipe a little further to the right, but then again I don't think that is a healthy solution putting stress on the manifold mount at the cylinder head.

If you have a solution feel free to reply

IMG_8840.jpeg.e2c4fd2b4d9aaec33e1547f73982b199.jpeg

Trying to explain the problem (with some grammatical errors but understandable)

Initial impressions in Swedish

This has nothing with the problem to do but I also bought a Mivv carbon fiber heat shield from another Mivv reseller, two M6 bolts where supplied (also M6 in the parts list) but he mounting points
where threaded M5, easy fix since I have M5 bolts but it shows that Mivv actually can make mistakes.

(In Swedish)

Edited by Diezel
Added info

Yours looks like it sits a bit closer than mine to the swingarm but it's hard to tell because you used a different angle for the shot.   I know when I installed mine I twisted it around a bit until I got the most clearance I could get without tweaking things. I haven't had any issues with the rubber cover melting and the gap opens a bit when the suspension is compressed.   Can you tweak yours over just a touch? I find it's pretty common with many aftermarket parts to have to tweak them a little to get the fit I want.  Regardless, good luck with it!

20230130_153906.jpg.4c4cc4f90af1f9ff8eb997e63ee50fa5.jpg

• Like 1

This is as tweaked as it gets I’m afraid, I have tried several times but it doesn’t get any better.

Right now there is to much snow to try it out but time will tell. I have read to that it’s a common problem with a quite narrow gap.

Had the same (actually similar with a little bit more clearance than yours) issue with the high HP Corse exhaust.

I blamed it to the higher suspension travel of the World Raid model.

I sold it and back with the OEM. Still trying to figure out which exhaust will be my next one. (Camel Adv is not considered as I am not considering cutting part of the frame)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tested the swingarm for clearance with the mid-pipe over the full 200 mm range of travel by disconnecting the shock link arm?  To my surprise the brake hose/cable guide made contact @165 mm & after modifying it & making a few other changes @205 mm!  Details/pics can be viewed here...scroll down to my April 10/23 update 

Internsting. 
I ordered a new link pipe on my own expense since Mivv did nothing about the tight gap. To my surprise I got a pipe that was nothing like the one I got when I bought the Dakar slip on. First I thought they sent me the wrong link pipe but after that my reseller talked to Mivv I got confirmed that they have redesigned the link pipe. Unfortunately it did not fit at all on my bike but I’ll have to look in to it and see if I can make it fit.

The new designed link pipe on top.

IMG_9277.jpeg

• Like 1

Sucks that they don't just acknowledge and replace the pipe. Fabricating and trying to get things to work always takes time. I just got the HPCorse high pipe, and it's very well made, clean welds, and fits well. Getting a tail tidy and the adventure spec side racks to work was a whole other fiasco 

• Like 2

2nd that, it sucks. When you pay good money for something it should bolt straight on. 

You only truly know how good a company is when there are issues and they step up and own it. Camel Adv is a perfect example of how a company should treat its customers.

• Like 1

I totally agree. I took a 40km ride yesterday with the link pipe I got with the kit and the rubber cover in the swing arm did not melt so that was a good thing. But I would prefer a little more gap…

Is it possible to mark the area closest to the swingarm and roll a small depression in it. 

Not ideal but might give you a bit more peace of mind.

• Like 1

Yes, my backup plan is to put it in a hydraulic press with a sand bag under and depress a small section closest to the swing arm.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Diezel said:

Internsting. 
I ordered a new link pipe on my own expense since Mivv did nothing about the tight gap. To my surprise I got a pipe that was nothing like the one I got when I bought the Dakar slip on. First I thought they sent me the wrong link pipe but after that my reseller talked to Mivv I got confirmed that they have redesigned the link pipe. Unfortunately it did not fit at all on my bike but I’ll have to look in to it and see if I can make it fit.

IMG_9277.jpeg

Can you post some photos with this new pipe with mivv on? I am curious because the ending of pipe is quite different.

I can’t get the new pipe to line up properly with the mount for the muffler unfortunately so I can’t provide a pic right now.

16 hours ago, Diezel said:

Internsting. 

IMG_9277.jpeg

Wow, that's a bunch different!  I like the design of the original better though and doubt the limited clearance to the swingarm will hurt anything.  I haven't heard of any reports of the swingarm plug getting damaged from being close to the exhaust. Ride it. 🙂

• Like 2

Yes, totally different design, and I like the first one better to.

Good to hear the rubber part have not been damaged. I’ll ride it for now and keep an eye on it.

17 hours ago, Diezel said:

Internsting. 

IMG_9277.jpeg

Which one is the improved one?

I wouldn’t say the new one is improved but it’s re designed. The  one on top in the picture is the new design.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diezel said:

I can’t get the new pipe to line up properly with the mount for the muffler unfortunately so I can’t provide a pic right now.

That's what I thought the bracket should be different too.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 7:13 PM, Diezel said:

Internsting. 

IMG_9277.jpeg

Looking at that pic, there’s no way it’s going on the bike and the can be in the same place as advertised. They haven’t changed the pics on the website. It’s gotta be a different machine surely? They sound like a clown car manufacturer. I was looking at one of those too, as the lines are great.  Seems like a few of you have had issues with them. It’s a shame arrow (good quality exhausts) don’t make a link pipe like that for their can. 
do you have an exhaust guy in the area that can adapt it all and make good? Not that you should have to. You’d think they’d look after customers, especially with thousands of worldwide owners on here discussing their faults or customer service. 

On 4/13/2023 at 8:13 PM, Diezel said:

Internsting. 

IMG_9277.jpeg

Can you post the manufacturer code of the pipe. Did you have problems with the new pipe? I see no updates on the post.

also, if you mind sharing the dealer where you bought the updated pipe and muffler so i can get it there too.

most dealers have no idea the pipe was re designed and who am i to explain it to them and wait weeks for probably the wrong pipe in the end

Edited by Oxxa

On 4/14/2023 at 11:29 AM, Diezel said:

Ouch. They f**ked up completely.

I wonder if i will have this problem if i order Hp Corse

The new link pipe is bought via Swedish Race Parts (

SRP-Logotype-Black-framed-liten.jpg

Swedish Race Parts - MC butiken online med brett sortiment! Med fokus på kvalitativa prisvärda produkter. God service och snabb leverans.

I haven’t had the time test any more with the new pipe, I might get it to able a little more upwards if I remove the Adventure Spec rear rack since the forward mounting point are close to interfere with the pipe, I’m not sure but I will have to try. But I like the rear rack and I like the looks of the straighter pipe.

I have now ridden 100km with the Mivv Dakar and the sound is amazing, I really love it. So far nothing has interfered with the pipe even though the gap is very small.

• Like 1

I contacted the MIVV directly and received this response:

We made a change on the link pipe a couple of month ago and the evolved one has different bending.The reason of this change is that we were receiving occasionally claims about the link pipe slightly hitting the swingarm after big jumps during off-road races. Actually the problem was caused also by weight of the rider and the setting of shock absorber. Anyway, we decided to cut it short and make an evolution of the link pipe to solve the problem radically. The new link pipe is surely better because it’ll never hit the swing arm, even under extreme racing conditions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LucasADV said:

I contacted the MIVV directly and received this response:

We made a change on the link pipe a couple of month ago and the evolved one has different bending.The reason of this change is that we were receiving occasionally claims about the link pipe slightly hitting the swingarm after big jumps during off-road races. Actually the problem was caused also by weight of the rider and the setting of shock absorber. Anyway, we decided to cut it short and make an evolution of the link pipe to solve the problem radically. The new link pipe is surely better because it’ll never hit the swing arm, even under extreme racing conditions.

They should send the revised link pipe to everyone, seems like a big over sight. Also, I'd be pretty upset if they said the cause was my weight or stock suspension. The reality is, it should never have been so close to the swing arm to start with

22 hours ago, Oxxa said:

Ouch. They f**ked up completely.

I wonder if i will have this problem if i order Hp Corse

I have the HP Corse, no such issues, plenty of clearance. 

• Like 1