Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Mivv Dakar slip-on problems

Diezel

22 hours ago, Diezel said:

The new link pipe is bought via Swedish Race Parts (

SRP-Logotype-Black-framed-liten.jpg

Swedish Race Parts - MC butiken online med brett sortiment! Med fokus på kvalitativa prisvärda produkter. God service och snabb leverans.

I haven’t had the time test any more with the new pipe, I might get it to able a little more upwards if I remove the Adventure Spec rear rack since the forward mounting point are close to interfere with the pipe, I’m not sure but I will have to try. But I like the rear rack and I like the looks of the straighter pipe.

I have now ridden 100km with the Mivv Dakar and the sound is amazing, I really love it. So far nothing has interfered with the pipe even though the gap is very small.

Is the new pipe you received well-functionin? You mentioned something about not being able to fit it, in a comment above.

1 minute ago, ScorpionT16 said:

I have the HP Corse, no such issues, plenty of clearance. 

Looks like i will go with hp corse just to be on the safe side. It is 200-300€ more expensive but it seems there is a reason for that

2 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

Is the new pipe you received well-functionin? You mentioned something about not being able to fit it, in a comment above.

I haven’t had that much time to try mounting it but when I just put the pipe on the bike it seems like the muffler mount is to short but then again I have the AS rear rack and the lower mount for it might have contacted the pipe so I have to check that.

4 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

Looks like i will go with hp corse just to be on the safe side. It is 200-300€ more expensive but it seems there is a reason for that

The HP Corse looks like a nice set-up and I had one on order for over a month before canceling the order since they kept making promises and not filling them and got the Mivv instead. That said, when I was researching I did see one or two owner comments about a similar fitment issues with the HP Corse but many owners who didn't have issues. Same appears true to the Mivv. All I did was wiggle it around a bit when I installed it while all the bolts were still loose and have had no issues with it. 

1 hour ago, Windblown said:

The HP Corse looks like a nice set-up and I had one on order for over a month before canceling the order since they kept making promises and not filling them and got the Mivv instead. That said, when I was researching I did see one or two owner comments about a similar fitment issues with the HP Corse but many owners who didn't have issues. Same appears true to the Mivv. All I did was wiggle it around a bit when I installed it while all the bolts were still loose and have had no issues with it. 

You installed the original or the updated Mivv pipe?

35 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

You installed the original or the updated Mivv pipe?

Mine appears to be the original one based on the photo in this thread. 

I had problems with mine hitting the swing arm. I’m glad I’m not the only one with issues with the MIVV exhaust. I will put some pictures on here after I get finished with work today. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ande83 said:

I had problems with mine hitting the swing arm. I’m glad I’m not the only one with issues with the MIVV exhaust. I will put some pictures on here after I get finished with work today. 

Reminder to post pics 😄

Finally!

I managed to mount the new pipe I ordered which is of the new design.

In order to keep my Adventure Spec rear rack I had to remove the passenger foot pegs otherwise the pipe was hitting the forward mounting bolt for the foot peg mount. I also had to modify the mount for the AS rack since they mount in the foot peg mount and the distance is now not the same. I had to push the muffler upwards about an inch and a half to get it to line up with the mounting bracket.

Finally I had to trim the plastic Acerbis frame protector since it was touching the pipe. The Mivv carbon fiber heat protector fits poorly on the new pipe.

Distance to swing arm which was my initial problem is now better.

IMG_9376.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Diezel said:

Finally!

In order to keep my Adventure Spec rear rack I had to remove the passenger foot pegs otherwise the pipe was hitting the forward mounting bolt for the foot peg mount. I also had to modify the mount for the AS rack since they mount in the foot peg mount and the distance is now not the same. I had to push the muffler upwards about an inch and a half to get it to line up with the mounting bracket.

Finally I had to trim the plastic Acerbis frame protector since it was touching the pipe. The Mivv carbon fiber heat protector fits poorly on the new pipe.

IMG_9376.jpeg

How much clearance between swing arm and  pipe is there now? Can we see some pictures please

8 minutes ago, Diezel said:

Finally!

IMG_9376.jpeg

‘Great thank you’

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oxxa said:

How much clearance between swing arm and  pipe is there now? Can we see some pictures please

Actually the space is only 1mm bigger then with the other pipe but the gap is in another place further from the rubber lid on the swing arm. The gap is about 3mm in the most narrow place. I tried earlier to lift the bike and see if the space gets smaller if the rear shock is fully extended and it did not so I think this will be ok.

IMG_9378.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Not sure I’m that keen on the new lines now. I think I’ll be getting a link pipe made when I do the swap. 

Edited by Dougie

9510ED26-E65B-4FA9-994D-0636AC85738F.jpeg.295a8252620ee9312eace7addf8b7e22.jpeg20930C95-437B-4945-BBE9-9A6CC2FEDA6C.jpeg.3f87b9ce4947561480e42e3438275c08.jpegF7619C6A-D80D-4963-8E2E-4A3E5C76A8DE.jpeg.f82966afc0a74da4d912f7bf62757a6b.jpegI used some zip tyes to hold the brake cable in place. The exhaust hit the metal brake cable guide. 

There’s a little dent in the exhaust now. It doesn’t hit anymore. 

88039C67-DBAF-4100-8E7B-8568343CDDB1.jpeg

I’m using a akrapovic header if that makes a difference? 

13 hours ago, Diezel said:

Finally!

IMG_9376.jpeg

Is your 2022 T7 Rally the Euro 5 (France Plant) with cat mounted up front vs under the motor?  If so, I suspect that the Euro 5 location/position/angle of the header outlet pipe where it connects to the mid-pipe might be slightly different than the Euro 4 model with cat located under the motor...which is probably not be an issue with the oem exhaust....this could explain why your clearances between the mid-pipe & swingarm are less my 2021 Euro 4 Canadian model (Japan Plant) & some others who have closer to 10 mm clearance at the narrowest position...providing that your mid-pipe is fully seated as far forward as it can go at that junction...or perhaps its just variances in manufacturing tolerances. MIVV's original design mid-pipe was spec'd for the Euro 4 T7s, but imho was not fully developed for adequate horizontal (MIVV's install instructions cite a minimum of 20 mm clearance) & vertical clearance with the swingarm (my bike only had 165 mm travel before contacting the swingarm rear brake hose/cable guide).

Their new mid-pipe seems an unnecessary total re-design that creates new issues & not as appealing aesthetics which seems to fall short of fully correcting the horizontal clearance issue, when all they needed to do was shorten the distance from the front mid-pipe connector to the 1st bend by about 10 mm, extend the distance to 2nd bend by about 10 mm & to the 3rd bend a few millimeters to improve clearances with the swingarm in the static position, at full travel & the oem exhaust hanger.  My Euro 4 bike with MIVV's original mid-pipe has more clearance than your bike with the new design.  MIVV has yet to update their website, so it will be interesting to see when they officially announce the re-design & if it is the same as what you were sent.  Anyways, sorry that things are not working out so far as hoped...perhaps MIVV will eventually sort it out with you 🙂

20230318_153347.jpg

20230318_201409.jpg

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ande83 said:

9510ED26-E65B-4FA9-994D-0636AC85738F.jpeg.295a8252620ee9312eace7addf8b7e22.jpeg20930C95-437B-4945-BBE9-9A6CC2FEDA6C.jpeg.3f87b9ce4947561480e42e3438275c08.jpegF7619C6A-D80D-4963-8E2E-4A3E5C76A8DE.jpeg.f82966afc0a74da4d912f7bf62757a6b.jpegI used some zip tyes to hold the brake cable in place. The exhaust hit the metal brake cable guide. 

had the same issue when testing clearance over the full 200 mm of travel...brake hose/cable guide hit at 165 mm

20230410_183345.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, prowlnS10 said:

had the same issue when testing clearance over the full 200 mm of travel...brake hose/cable guide hit at 165 mm

20230410_183345.jpg

That’s why I got rid of the guide. Now I don’t have that problem anymore 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ande83 said:

That’s why I got rid of the guide. Now I don’t have that problem anymore 

I also have a Akrapovic header if that’s makes a difference. Plus I have issues with it coming apart every so often. Mainly if I ride really hard. Where they join. Mivv to Akrapovic header 6E9689D6-721B-4883-B50D-6043E361BD8D.jpeg.653e9db0d76fcd4109c88822d80e6aed.jpeg

@prowlnS10 I’m starting to think that Mivv haven’t done it fully compatible with the Euro 5 too. I agree, I liked the lines better with the straight pipe better. Anyway, now it’s mounted and I think it will be all right. I have given up with contacting Mivv, it’s a crap company trying to talk to unfortunately.

• Like 2