Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Needed to be able to change my tires

NeilW

As some of you know, I review gear and parts for a motorcycle mag. I get in tires for my Yam Venture and T7 to test and the local shop charges me $65 a piece to replace. And of course the hassle of driving it to the shop and leaving it and then coming back for it. I now have the Rabaconda Street Tire changer ( it works for ADV tires too). WOW ! I feel like a pro tire changer after just my first tire. For the review I took off my 3000 mile REAR Shinko 805 and put back on my 1/4 used Pirelli MT21. Friends, this tire changer really works as advertised and as you see in their videos. I couldn't even break the bead of the Shinko until I used the Rabaconda.  Even on the first try, reading the instructions as I went it only took 45 minutes and the next tire should be 15 max.

Here is my review, Comments always welcome.

rabaconda-street-bike-tire-changer-start

Rabaconda Street Bike Tire Changer Starter Kit Review: Go from paying big bucks to have someone changing tires for you to doing it yourself.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NeilW said:

As some of you know, I review gear and parts for a motorcycle mag. I get in tires for my Yam Venture and T7 to test and the local shop charges me $65 a piece to replace. And of course the hassle of driving it to the shop and leaving it and then coming back for it. I now have the Rabaconda Street Tire changer ( it works for ADV tires too). WOW ! I feel like a pro tire changer after just my first tire. For the review I took off my 3000 mile REAR Shinko 805 and put back on my 1/4 used Pirelli MT21. Friends, this tire changer really works as advertised and as you see in their videos. I couldn't even break the bead of the Shinko until I used the Rabaconda.  Even on the first try, reading the instructions as I went it only took 45 minutes and the next tire should be 15 max.

Rabaconda Street Bike Tire Changer Starter Kit Review: Go from paying big bucks to have someone changing tires for you to doing it yourself.

I have the ADV Tyre Changer and it is not as easy as you describe with the Street Tyre changer.  Levering the bead over the rim is always a struggle.  Maybe my technique needs work? 

On 1/31/2023 at 10:17 AM, NeilW said:

Rabaconda is a game changer!  Especially when installing Mousse Bibs.  I'm able to change my set of dirt bike tires in about 7-10 minutes with the Rabaconda.

Edited by r1superstar

For me, this was the ticket. Well made in Poland. Shipping took a long time, just as they said in the ad.

Be sure to ask for two different sized main posts, for dirt bike and bigger street bike (Different I.D. of wheel bearings)

For a bit more, he sells a wheel balancer and some other handy stuff as part of a kit.

s-l400.jpg

Motorcycle manual portable Tyre changer. Weight of the tool is arround 13Kg. The changer stands on rubber feets. -new fixing system for the Bead Breaker. (Every part is always checked by myself.). (Butler.it is producing the...

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 1/31/2023 at 11:13 AM, roygilbo said:

I have the ADV Tyre Changer and it is not as easy as you describe with the Street Tyre changer.  Levering the bead over the rim is always a struggle.  Maybe my technique needs work? 

@roygilbo Are you using the DROP CENTER tool at the opposite side to start the dismount? ( been thinking about your comment)

On 1/31/2023 at 11:13 AM, roygilbo said:

you need this.  

Get Back On The Trails QUICKLY & EASILY. From 650cc to 50cc, Our Tools Are Specifically Designed to Install Tires Without Pinching Your Tubes!

26 minutes ago, Redneckj said:

you need this.  

Get Back On The Trails QUICKLY & EASILY. From 650cc to 50cc, Our Tools Are Specifically Designed to Install Tires Without Pinching Your Tubes!

Don’t think those side walls are as stiff as what is on our T7’s, but I could be wrong.  He also cut the video where every push just shifted the tire over more exposing more of the bead, and then after the cut there was just a bit to go.  This is what most online shops, manufacturers do, especially with ADV tires.  

3 hours ago, roygilbo said:

Don’t think those side walls are as stiff as what is on our T7’s, but I could be wrong.  He also cut the video where every push just shifted the tire over more exposing more of the bead, and then after the cut there was just a bit to go.  This is what most online shops, manufacturers do, especially with ADV tires.  

@roygilboIt is a Dunlop Geomax III - it is a NON DOT tire. No where near as stiff a sidewall as DOT ADV tires but I have seen others post it works for them. I have never tried it.

• Moderators

I have a Baja No pinch tool and for gummy, pliable dirt bike tires it seems to help, but there is a learning curve to become proficient with it.  I've tried it on a new stiff 130/90-18 MotoZ DOT rear on my Beta and gave up due to lack of technique and arthritic hands, so YMMV.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

11 minutes ago, AZJW said:

I have a Baja No pinch tool and for gummy, pliable dirt bike tires it seems to help, but there is a learning curve to become proficient with it.  I've tried it on a new stiff 130/90-18 MotoZ DOT rear on my Beta and gave up due to lack of technique and arthritic hands, so YMMV.

@AZJW Interesting. It seems that for most of us a rear flat means riding out slowly however far to get to AAA tow truck range.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@NeilW Question: Why did you select the Rabaconda Street Bike Tire changer vs their ADV tire changer?  I see the Street Bike model, that you have,  holds the tire at about a 30° angle vs the ADV changer that holds the tire parallel to the ground and wondering why you chose one over the other?  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

@NeilW Question: Why did you select the Rabaconda Street Bike Tire changer vs their ADV tire changer?  I see the Street Bike model, that you have,  holds the tire at about a 30° angle vs the ADV changer that holds the tire parallel to the ground and wondering why you chose one over the other?  

Because I have a Yamaha venture touring bike also. I discussed it with Rabaconda and they suggested the street version as it does Adv and street tires. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

@NeilW. I too contacted Rabaconda and was advised that the ADV version will work for the T7, but if I wanted to mount/ dismount tubeless tires in the future, then the street model was the one they recommended. So, based on that and reviewing this video for recommended applications, I placed my order for the street version.  As far as I can tell, the only advantage of the ADV version is that it will work with Bib Mousse setups,  whereas the street version wasn't recommended for those.

Looking forward to no more trips to the tireshop and getting tires changed on my schedule,  not theirs.

2 hours ago, AZJW said:

@NeilW. I too contacted Rabaconda and was advised that the ADV version will work for the T7, but if I wanted to mount/ dismount tubeless tires in the future, then the street model was the one they recommended. So, based on that and reviewing this video for recommended applications, I placed my order for the street version.  As far as I can tell, the only advantage of the ADV version is that it will work with Bib Mousse setups,  whereas the street version wasn't recommended for those.

Looking forward to no more trips to the tireshop and getting tires changed on my schedule,  not theirs.

@azjw sounds great. Most important thing I found was to over lube the bead and duck head on mounting. Don't be shy with the lube. Also make sure to take off your sprocket so the tire rests on the moveable magnetic stand offs. You can bend the spindle if you don't properly support the top and bottom of the rim/tire. Lastly they recommend using soapy water for taking the tire off and bead grease for mounting. the new tire. Real feeling of easy accomplishment  from this tool. 

• Thanks 1

more sh*t to take up space in your garage. Our gransparents were changing car tires with tire spoons. Ive changed tires with 3 tiny dirtbike tire spoons. Get 3 big spoons (min2). u can change a tire with little spoons too u'll just swear more

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Revy said:

more sh*t to take up space in your garage. Our gransparents were changing car tires with tire spoons. Ive changed tires with 3 tiny dirtbike tire spoons. Get 3 big spoons (min2). u can change a tire with little spoons too u'll just swear more

@Revy  total honesty here as I always do. I am 71 years old. I couldn't even break the bead of the 3500 mile Shinko rear tire without the Rabacanda.  The Rabaconda made quick work of the whole tire swap. Remember I write reviews to help others learn about products before they commit their hard earned money. I have reviewed a lot of parts and gear- about 120 in 5 years and I get feedback from folks saying I was spot on about my review. I don't get in products and write reviews to solicit purchasing, I do it for the riding community. When I was dirt bike riding I would easily fix a tube flat in 10 minutes on the trail. I know what I am doing and the sidewalls of the ADV tires are too much for this old guy....and it breaks down to the size of a stored 3 person tent - so not much room in the garage.

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Revy said:

Welcome to the forum.  Since joining 2 days ago, you've got 8 posts down and 25% of your content is already disparaging forum members for their choices. Before expounding on why other riders shouldn't use a needed accessory that makes riding more enjoyable or in some cases, possible at all, you might want to visit this poll for demographic information.   Knowing your audience will make you stay here much more pleasant. 😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Revy said:

I used to change bicycle tires with screwdrivers when young but did advance as I aged.  The same goes for motorcycle tires…..changed many, many tires on the garage floor with tire tools.  No more of that nonsense for me as I aged and bought a NoMar almost  15 years ago.  The Rabaconda looks like a great tool that works and minimizes effort and sore hands/knees.  I have reached the point in life where I dislike working on the bike and just want to ride.  Tire changing made easier with a tire machine helps a lot of older riders do that.

• Like 2

absolutely ridiculous that my post was flagged as "abusive". I thought we were motorcycle riders, not soft handed cry babies.
Lots of companies will sell try to sell you all sorts of stuff you dont need. A lot of new riders who have never changed a tire might think that now they "need" another expensive tool, especially if 100% of the comments all say "yes, i think this is great, we all need one!".

1 hour ago, Revy said:

absolutely ridiculous that my post was flagged as "abusive". I thought we were motorcycle riders, not soft handed cry babies.
Lots of companies will sell try to sell you all sorts of stuff you dont need. A lot of new riders who have never changed a tire might think that now they "need" another expensive tool, especially if 100% of the comments all say "yes, i think this is great, we all need one!".

Lay off with the negative crap.

Some people are not as young, fit, mechanically adept, or want skinned knuckles, or whatever.

It is their choice to purchase, what appears to be a well made tool, to make their lives a little easier or working on their bikes a little more enjoyable.

If they feel they "need" a tool and have purchased one what is the problem extolling its virtue?

I have a tyre changing stand bolted to the floor of my shed. It is basic but I can work on changing tyres standing up. Does that make me a soft handed cry baby?

As a sweep rider I have changed many tubes out on the trails for paying customers. I use small "Metzeler" pattern tyre levers so I know about technique.

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

1 hour ago, Revy said:

@Revyyou can say anything contrary that you want but maybe you missed the fact that this is a “friendly” forum. In all the posts have you seen are any as negative wording as what you have been posting?  If you think people are wasting their money- then say it nicely, like I and my riding friends haven’t needed to spend $600 on “something” instead we spend our money on a new exhaust and here are my photos and review of it. Be helpful not negative. Share your strong points and point of view but still be respectful of the rest of us. I am positive you have a lot to share- I welcome your sharing your perspective. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:09 AM, Hibobb said:

For me, this was the ticket. Well made in Poland. Shipping took a long time, just as they said in the ad.

Be sure to ask for two different sized main posts, for dirt bike and bigger street bike (Different I.D. of wheel bearings)

For a bit more, he sells a wheel balancer and some other handy stuff as part of a kit.s-l400.jpg

Could you post some pics/details about this setup; did you get the kit with the wheel balancer?

Quick read of some of this thread brings to mind a couple old cliches about “if you’ve nothing nice to say ….” & “treating others the way you wish to be…”

I still stubbornly prefer to keep proficient with the minimalist trail tools by continuing to practice with them in the shop when swapping tyres. That’s not to say I fail to see the value & efficiency in these gadgets though. If enough people didn’t find them worthwhile, they wouldn’t exist. 

On 2/8/2023 at 6:10 PM, Redneckj said:

you need this.  

I use this and a Home Depot bucket. Pretty easy.