Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Needed to be able to change my tires

NeilW

30 minutes ago, mjepps72 said:

I use this and a Home Depot bucket. Pretty easy. 

What specific rear tire have you used the baja no pinch with ? Do you “push” right on the edge of the bead or just above the edge?

14 minutes ago, NeilW said:

What specific rear tire have you used the baja no pinch with ? Do you “push” right on the edge of the bead or just above the edge?

Several, but the last three were:
- Motoz RallZ
- Mitas E07+
- Shinko 805

All were standard 150 sized. 

55 minutes ago, mjepps72 said:

Several, but the last three were:
- Motoz RallZ
- Mitas E07+
- Shinko 805

All were standard 150 sized. 

All tough sidewall tires for sure. 

3 hours ago, SCARd4Life said:

Could you post some pics/details about this setup; did you get the kit with the wheel balancer

P.M. sent

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

I need to ammend my statement regarding the Rabaconda Street version I said I was ordering on page 1 of this thread.  Like @NeilW, I also contacted Rabaconda about changing tubed ADV bike tires and was also steered toward the Street version in the event I needed to change tubeless tires in the future.  I received the Street version and had a 50% failure rate with tubed tire changes as I had issues with the duckhead on the changer riding over the valve stem area and pinching the tube. After watching their how to videos multiple times,  I found one where they demonstrate changing a tubed tire on the street version.  If one watches closely, it gave their factory rep issues although he has most likely changed hundreds and hundreds of tires on that machine.  It gave me fits and even with help it failed half the time.

I contacted Rabaconda, discussed my issue and stated I originally wanted the ADV version, but they had talked me into the Street version. We agreed that I would  return the Street version ( at my expense) and they shipped me the ADV version that I wanted originally.   It has worked out fine and happy I have it. The MotoZ RallZ 150 is no match for this ADV changer and I didn't need any assistance getting the bead broken for dismounting.

My point to all this is, if you're going to be changing tubed tires, get the ADV version.  Tubless? Get the street version. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 minute ago, AZJW said:

I need to ammend my statement regarding the Rabaconda Street version I said I was ordering on page 1 of this thread.  Like @NeilW, I also contacted Rabaconda about changing tubed ADV bike tires and was also steered toward the Street version in the event I needed to change tubeless tires in the future.  I received the Street version and had a 50% failure rate with tubed tire changes as I had issues with the duckhead on the changer riding over the valve stem area and pinching the tube. After watching their how to videos multiple times,  I found one where they demonstrate changing a tubed tire on the street version.  If one watches closely, it gave their factory rep issues although he has most likely changed hundreds and hundreds of tires on that machine.  It gave me fits and even with help it failed half the time.

I contacted Rabaconda, discussed my issue and stated I originally wanted the ADV version, but they had talked me into the Street version. We agreed that I would  return the Street version ( at my expense) and they shipped me the ADV version that I wanted originally.   It has worked out fine and happy I have it.

My point to all this is, if you're going to be changing tubed tires, get the ADV version.  Tubless? Get the street version. 

I am glad they swapped out your unit. I found them to be very customer centered also. I changed out 4 tube tires before going tubeless. I was still learning the techniques- and still am, but being totally honest I did not have any issues with tubed tires after I bought a valve stem fishing line.(just saved time and bruised knuckles) I am curious what you mean by failed 1/2 the time. 
Just sharing on a different issue, getting the first lip over the rim on mounting, on my first 5 mounts, I had to use the machine to get the first lip over. However I was so worried about the Heidenau sidewalls that I watched many of their videos and saw that they used gorilla strength to get the first lip over and only needed the machine for the second lip. I lubed the heck out of the first lip and rim and put on my motocross boots. I played Superman and pushed the first lip mostly on (while on the Rabaconda) and then kicked the last bit hard with my boot  and it popped over the rim. I couldn’t believe I had finally done it. Again nice to hear a manufacturer supports their customers. 

• Dislike 1

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, NeilW said:

I am curious what you mean by failed 1/2 the time. 

Meaning 4 tire changes, 2 tubes failed ( 1 pinched, 1 valve stem torn).  The ADV version works great, but I can see the value of the Street version if you exclusively work with tubeless tires.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Just now, AZJW said:

Meaning 4 tire changes, 2 tubes failed ( 1 pinched, 1 valve stem torn).  The ADV version works great, but I can see the value of the Street version if you exclusively work with tubeless tires.

Thanks for sharing this info. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In the endeavor to disengage the beads, responsible for the interconnection of the wheel and tire, a certain degree of exertion is anticipated. Thus, necessitating the utilization of a tire iron. Initiate the process with the initial bead and iterate until the rim achieves complete dislodgment. Invert the wheel and replicate the aforementioned procedure upon the opposing facet. At this juncture, it becomes imperative to apply tire lubrication in the proximity of the beads, thereby facilitating the effortless removal of the tire from the rim.

Edited by lakincoe

• 7 months later...

I just ordered a Rabaconda dirt bike tire changer. Do I need any special adapters for the T7 wheels, or will it just work out of the box?

Edit- I just found a thread on here saying we have 20mm axles, so it should work out of the box.

Edited by zimm

You need to learn to do tyres with just small tyre levers.

No Rabacondas out in the bush!

It is a technique that has to be mastered.

The tyre has a big bearing on ease.

Motoz Rallz, Scorpion Rally are a piece of cake.

E07 Dakar are a bitch.

Nice to have a tyre changing stand in the shed, though.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

22 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

E07 Dakar are a bitch.

Oh I've done tires in the past on a budget. Garage floor, swapping between knobbies and paddles about every month on an old YZ250 when I used to run desert dunes in California.  I still have some of the tire irons.  That was enough busted knuckles.  Now that I'm almost 50, I want better stuff for the garage. So Rabaconda is on the way.

• Like 2

I'm 62 and should know better!

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

15 hours ago, zimm said:

Oh I've done tires in the past on a budget. Garage floor, swapping between knobbies and paddles about every month on an old YZ250 when I used to run desert dunes in California.  I still have some of the tire irons.  That was enough busted knuckles.  Now that I'm almost 50, I want better stuff for the garage. So Rabaconda is on the way.

It’s all about technique with the Rabaconda. Take your time. Watch the videos. If you are breaking a very tough bead, go slow. Don’t muscle it. Just work your way around and around. 
It is a great tool, just be patient with yourself as you learn the tool. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:23 PM, Rider 101 said:

E07 Dakar are a bitch.

Knowing myself as I do I stick with using the levers and tools I carry with me on the bike even when I'm at home because if I didn't I'd get out of practice and that would make things harder in the field when needed. As it is I can whip out a tire change pretty dang quick most of the time.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Windblown said:

Knowing myself as I do I stick with using the levers and tools I carry with me on the bike even when I'm at home because if I didn't I'd get out of practice and that would make things harder in the field when needed. As it is I can whip out a tire change pretty dang quick most of the time.  

Took me two hours using a name brand bead breaker to pop the bead on my rear tire as a review test. Heidenau k60 scout. I can change a non dot tire in 15 minutes, in the sand, in the desert.  I went tubeless but carry tubes and tools but pray I don’t need them. 

Edited by NeilW
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NeilW said:

Took me two hours using a name brand bead breaker to pop the bead on my rear tire as a review test. Heidenau k60 scout. I can change a non dot tire in 15 minutes, in the sand, in the desert.  I went tubeless but carry tubes and tools but pray I don’t need them. 

The OEM tire took me awhile to break free. I still think they glued that sucker on, LOL. 

I haven't had any issues getting tires on and off since but I haven't run a K60 (which I refer to as a "truck" tire) in at least 10 years.  🙂

• Like 2

Tire swap successful!  I managed to hole both of the old tubes. The first one I left the stem nut on loosely and it tore the tube when I pushed the tire off. The front tube got pinched.  I shouldn't have pulled the valve cores and left a few psi in them.  The new tires went on pretty well.  I only had one big motion pro lever, a generic lever, and 2 little motion pro spoons. I ordered up another couple big levers and more tubes for spares.

I'm not 100% sure I didn't pinch the rear tube.  When I initially aired it up, I heard air hissing from the opposite side of the tire for a few seconds then it stopped.  Not sure if the beads seated and are holding the air in, or hopefully it was just trapped air coming out between the tube and tire.  I'll give a few days and see if the pressure drops.  I did a ride today and the pressure held.

IMG_3572.jpeg.53fcfb56a2d70decc1336cbd30444019.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, zimm said:

Tire swap successful!  I managed to hole both of the old tubes. The first one I left the stem nut on loosely and it tore the tube when I pushed the tire off. The front tube got pinched.  I shouldn't have pulled the valve cores and left a few psi in them.  The new tires went on pretty well.  I only had one big motion pro lever, a generic lever, and 2 little motion pro spoons. I ordered up another couple big levers and more tubes for spares.

I'm not 100% sure I didn't pinch the rear tube.  When I initially aired it up, I heard air hissing from the opposite side of the tire for a few seconds then it stopped.  Not sure if the beads seated and are holding the air in, or hopefully it was just trapped air coming out between the tube and tire.  I'll give a few days and see if the pressure drops.  I did a ride today and the pressure held.

What tire/s did you go with?

Just now, SXXP said:

What tire/s did you go with?

MotoZ RallZ.  Was gonna go Tusk 2track, but they're out of stock.

IMG_3579(1).jpeg.b33351ab37f07d0384fe403fa4169bc5.jpeg

• Like 2

Does the Rabaconda assist with tire mounting too (apart from acting as a holder)?  How did your rims fare?  Any gouges/scrapes?  My WR450 rims definitely show a lot of tire iron abuse from changing tires. 

10 minutes ago, SXXP said:

Does the Rabaconda assist with tire mounting too (apart from acting as a holder)?  How did your rims fare?  Any gouges/scrapes?  My WR450 rims definitely show a lot of tire iron abuse from changing tires. 

Rabaconda does off and on. That is its strength. Breaking beads and lifting over the rims. Watch the youtube videos. I have the STREET version and and I think I have done 6 tires so far- ZERO scratches.  @AZJW had a problem with wrecking tubes on the STREET version and switched to the DIRT and is happy now. I did 2 tubes on my STREET - front and rear and had no issues, I then went to OUTEX tubeless front and rear and couldn't be happier.

6 hours ago, zimm said:

The air hissing you heard was likely just air trapped inside the tire and outside of the tube escaping from the bead or from the spokes as the tube was getting aired up.  It's not unusual.  It's not an all bad idea to stick with fairly small levers on MC tires, not the super little ones but you shouldn't need anything over 10" or so. Longer levers tend to tempt getting too ham fisted when something is wrong in order to force the tire cooperate which can lead to torn beads or fibers inside the bead.  Tire lube, small bites, and make sure the side of the tire opposite of where you're working has dropped inside the well of the wheel. 

• Like 1

Yes the Rabaconda "bead breaker" lever works great helping get the tire on and off. It doesn't replace tire irons, but helps a lot. 

After I did the tires I re-watched the video and they use a spot on the side of the arm pivot to hold the initial tire lever. I didn't try that.  Also having 5 levers would have made life easier.

As for the rims, there's a few silver marks on the lip from the irons. Mostly on the first side of the rim I was leveraging on. The front has noticeably less.  I'm sure as I get better it'll be less. But for sure less damage than doing it on a loose rim on the garage floor.  If you care about wheel finish, I'd go with the street version.

Edited by zimm
  • Thanks 1